'06 accuracy woes

rad30277

Hey fellas; need some input on some accuracy issues I'm having with my pet rifle, a stainless model 70 in .30-06.

Let me start by saying I've had this rifle for over twenty years, bought it new in 1994. The barrel is a factory 24" and the action sits in an HS Precision stock. I had it glass bedded, the barrel floated and the trigger is set at 40 oz. I had a new Vari X III 3.5-10X50 installed last summer.

My pet load for this rifle has been a Sierra 165 gr. BTHP Game King, with 56.5 grs. of IMR 4350 and a Federal 210M primer, with an avg. MV of 2850 fps. I've been using Hornady brass with the bullet seated .030" off the lands. This load has always produced sub MOA for me consistently at 100 and 200 yds off the bench. I've taken Whitetails and Muleys out to 337 yds, respectively with this combination.

However, recently the groups have opened up tremendously out to 200 yds. I've checked and rechecked the mounts, rings and action screws to be sure they're tight, so any ideas on what could've possibly changed? Is it possible that the barrel is shot out? It has probably had several hundred rounds shot through it over the years, that number may even be near 1000, but nothing along the likes of competition shooting. How do I know for sure that it is the barrel? I'm ignorant to the facts on bad barrels and I've just been eliminating variables up to this point, and I'm starting to run out of them, lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Get the copper out of the barrel.... Deep clean it with an aggressive cleaner. I like Montana Extreme 50 BMG Copper Killer myself.

Thanks Ridgerunner. The barrel was cleaned when the scope was mounted last summer. It and the scope have only had about 20 rds through both, but I'll clean it again before the next session. Outside of sending the scope back to Leupold, what's the best way to check it? I've never had an internal scope issue.

I would do as suggested and get all the copper out. Also however you will need to get all the carbon out of the bore. One thing that happens just in front of the chamber is a ring of carbon forms that must be removed so it is important to focus on that as well.

As for myself, I use Patch-out/Wipeout mostly for the first steps until it looks clean. Then (only on rifles that have not been properly cleaned for a long time) for getting rid of the carbon ring I put a thin layer of fine scotchbrite on an old worn bore brush then coat it with a very fine lapping compound like autosol or JB Bore Cleaner and concentrate for 10 to 20 swipes in the first 3 inches past the chamber taking it back out each time, then a half dozen slow even passes through the entire bore followed by a wet patch of wipe-out wait 15 minutes then tight dry patches. repeat until totally clean and dry. Then put a wet patch of hip-out through the bore and let it stay overnight and follow up with a dry patch. If it is not clean by then do the last step again until it is, then go shoot.

Thanks, Blwebster. I've got the JB's already. I'll pick up some Scotchbrite and give that a try along with the Patch-out/Wipe-out combination.

Have you checked for throat erosion? Maybe your 30 thousandths off is more than 50 because of it. I personally don't shoot groups on a clean barrel. After 15-20 rounds, my groups are super small.

Do you still have the old scope that was replaced? If so put it back on and see if group improves. Or try any other scope to see if it changes the group.

Steve

You have been given some very good input from all the above. Personally I'm betting on the new scope or you are no longer .030" off your lands. I would be very surprised if the barrel is shot out with the amount of rounds you say you have through it. I've been around a lot of '06s and it takes a lot of rounds or abuse to burn a barrel out. The only other caliber that seems to compete for length of life is the .308.

Just out of curiosity - how many firings do you have on your brass and do you anneal? Neck tension is the only other factor I can think of when everything else has remained a constant.

Hey, Wolf. Thanks for the info. I too, have always had the best results from a cold, fouled bore. This rifle seems to shoot better after 15 to 20 rounds through it. I've heard about throat erosion, but I know nothing about it. Is this something I can measure on my own amd if so, how do I go about it and how do I correct for it? Or do I need to take it to my gunsmith?

Unfortunately Rocky, I don't have the old scope. I sold it to a good friend of mine. I do have a new Leupold I could put on it and check it with. Thanks.

Cowboy, I don't have my records in front of me at the moment, but I'm guessing 3 or 4 firings, but not more than 5. I don't annealing my brass. Do you think I should be? And I hope you're right.....I'm not opposed to rebarrelling Old Faithful, but I hope I find some simpler fix that I'm overlooking, just saying.

Unfortunately Rocky, I don't have the old scope. I sold it to a good friend of mine. I do have a new Leupold I could put on it and check it with. Thanks.

Cowboy, I don't have my records in front of me at the moment, but I'm guessing 3 or 4 firings, but not more than 5. I don't annealing my brass. Do you think I should be? And I hope you're right.....I'm not opposed to rebarrelling Old Faithful, but I hope I find some simpler fix that I'm overlooking, just saying.

The weak link here is the scope. Also the easiest to check. Slap on the new scope, make sure everything is tight. This is where I always go wrong. I assume the simplest things are fine. Every time I am blaming the rifle or optic it turns out to be something has come loose. Action screws, picatiny rail, scope rings. All those things tight, get the new scope on paper and see if the group changes. If there is no improvement in consistency then I would look to barrel cleaning. Which cannot hurt to scrub out completely anyway. Burned out throat would have to be real bad to show that much degrade of accuracy. My rifle that is currently getting a new barrel was still holding 10" at 1000y and the barrel was toast for 8". So my guess is something loose or failed new optic.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.