'06 accuracy woes

Hey, Wolf. Thanks for the info. I too, have always had the best results from a cold, fouled bore. This rifle seems to shoot better after 15 to 20 rounds through it. I've heard about throat erosion, but I know nothing about it. Is this something I can measure on my own amd if so, how do I go about it and how do I correct for it? Or do I need to take it to my gunsmith?

The hornady comparator is the easiest way to determine throat erosion. If you record where the lands are, then periodically check it. My 300 mag had grown a fair bit, but i load very hot. BTW the comparator tool I think every reloader should have.
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Tools & Gauges :: Lock-N-Load Gauges-Formerly Stoney Point :: Bullet Comparators :: Bullet Comparator Kits
I'm curious how you know you're 30 thousanths off.

Hey, Wolf. I have a comparator, but it's not Hornady's. I've had it several years, maybe since I started loading metallic cartridges. I set my dummy rounds against the lands then started setting my dies, backing them off five thousandths at a time. I've just never thouht to check for throat erosion nor made a habit out of periodically checking for it being as my primary function for my rifles is hunting. That's one of the great benefits of these forums for me - I've actually learned a couple new things today to use on my next batch of handloads. Even better than that is I've a new .280 AI to apply all this new knowledge to.

I am going to pick up that annealing tool mentioned earlier from Midway and I'll probably pick up an improved Hornady comparator while I'm at it.

Okay, next issue, lol. Does anyone know where I can purchase a Hornady annealing kit? According to to Hornady's website and Midway, it has been discontinued. A thorough search of Brownell's, Midway and Ebay also revealed nothing. Perhaps I could make one out of a spare caliber specific shell holder and a long machine screw to chuck up in a drill?

However, I did find and purchased the 750° Tempilaq, so it wasn't a complete loss. Nothing quite like educating the ignorant, huh fellas? Thanks again, lol.

Put a deep socket that the shell fits in on a drill. Turn the drill while neck is in the flame. When temp is reached, drop in water.

Steve

Put a deep socket that the shell fits in on a drill. Turn the drill while neck is in the flame. When temp is reached, drop in water.

Steve

What kind of torch do you need for this. Will a hand held butane torch work, or do you need something with a little more heat like an oxy-acetylene torch? I know the butane torch will get the brass hot enough, but does it get it hot enough fast enough? From what I've read, you only want to heat from the shoulder up. And that you want to do it quickly, so that the heat doesn't travel down the case. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.