“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

Harris bipod and a sock full of rice for any of my rifles that I hunt with. Sometimes off the bench, sometimes prone. Adjustable front rear and a leather bag for the few bench guns.
Target shown is five groups of five at 100 yards with a Desert Tech. I can't shoot consistently sub 1/4 minute at long distance but I can at 100, and 1/2 minute out to 1k on the regular.
I'll take that bet at the 100-200 yard line.

Attachments

• 7789509A-9346-4010-9128-752D02E3E232.jpeg
    7789509A-9346-4010-9128-752D02E3E232.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
These days, I shoot only off a bench. The 75-year-old body rebels shooting prone, besides, the range gets upset when they have to call AAA to get me off of the ground. I do use a sled mainly for load development for the 338 LM. In my younger days, I used a front bad off the hood of my truck "sniping ground squirrels at a friends ranch. These days, it all bench shooting mainly to compensate for my frailties. Do I shoot 1/4" groups all day? Not for years. Now I'm perfectly satisfied if I can keep my groups under a quarter at 100 yards. I have occasional days shooting my "lightweight calibers when I can have some groups under a 1/4". I can say for sure when using a chronograph. I did keep 100 rounds inside a teacup. I did one experiment where I let the bore cool down to determine cold bore capability and did have 10 shots under a quarter. Can I do it on demand every day, doubtful, but under an inch with the 338 sure.

Yep I wouldn't take that bet

Ok in long range shooting, would you not aim small and shoot small....
10" plate at 1000 yards?
Hunters
10" kill zone shoulder/heart lungs
1000 yards
If your willing to make the shot once, you've loaded your rounds with "match" hand loads....
So yes, I blame me for the one shot that drifts in 5.

These examples are .2 MOA
Am I crazy? Please share?

Ok in long range shooting, would you not aim small and shoot small....
10" plate at 1000 yards?
Hunters
10" kill zone shoulder/heart lungs
1000 yards
If your willing to make the shot once, you've loaded your rounds with "match" hand loads....
So yes, I blame me for the one shot that drifts in 5.

These examples are .2 MOA
Am I crazy? Please share?
I took as he was referring to less than a .2 every time
.5 will take the bet

For me, posted groups are always bipod and squeeze bag. I have two Savages with Shilen barrels that do around .75-.85" with factory ammo and I'm betting could do better if I was a better marksman. I did go out once in the heat of the day in the middle of the summer and got the best group and best two consecutive groups of my life (.5" and .6" at 100). Not sure if it was luck, me finally stringing together 4 shots with better-than-normal form, or the extra heat created a little more velocity causing the rifle to shoot a little more accurately. I am going to try again this summer and see if I can duplicate it.

I found I shoot worse groups with the led sled. I haven't tried in a long time, might go back and give it another try though.

Last edited:
When shooting for groups, i use a cardwell front rest and a sand bag in the rear. I built a conrete slab bench to shoot off of. I had a savage 110 in 223 i built with a shilins barrel that shot in the .2s average for 5 shots at 100 over a year+ with a total of north of 500 rounds . I know it shot consistently in the 2s . Dont care who believes me. I didnt build it to impress strangers on the net. My latest build, a 700 with a xcalibur barrel in 6.5 creed , so far has shown promise to come close to the savage i built several years ago. Its way too early to make a claim on consistency because i dont have nearly enough rounds and honestly , still have load developement to do.
Im sure there are those that make claims to get cudos from people they have never met . I dont understand that mentality, but if it makes them feel good and its not causing anyone harm, have at it. I dont or at least, havent posted groups on here because first off, i dont know how to post pics and secondly, my word is good enough for me . If its not good enough for you, thats not my concern.
Carry on, gentlemen and ladies.

I didn't mention anything earlier about scope size. That's critical in group shooting if you can't see it and thinking your holding in same place it's not enough power. Hunting/steel shooting you need less power but for true long range group/score competition you need all you can get. I'm a nightforce fan got about 6 of them 3 benchrest models 12-42 power 2 NSX's 5.5-22 power and 1 atacr 5-25 now for hunting/steel the nxs and atacr are fine but for true grouping/score shooting it's hard to beat the benchrest just because of magnification power. I haven't bought a target scope in a while or I'd buy the 15-55 nf. This means alot in group size. But I've shot some good ones from hunting scope's also. Just harder to do for me. When you truly start shooting for groups/score (IBS and 1000yd) you need all the advantages that are out there it takes more of the human error out of the equation.

Well I stopped posting target pics long ago, it don't convince anyone and you get accused of bragging or lying. Imagine that, it takes a well set up gun, some great bolt face to bore alignment, cartridges that are a labor of love and then perfect conditions have to exist, not to mention a good bench and rests. Nothing to brag about at all, just a large amount of work and the results are just everything coming together. I wouldn't expect everyone to feel one way or the other anyway, lotta people aren't honest anymore, talks cheap....I know :) my gunsmith buddy loves to shoot it, says it makes him the limiting factor, that's how I feel. Thread has spurred some great posts and lots of good reading and opinions. I think it might be that clean cold rarified air up here, bullets huddle together ;) Oh and my guns are all customs but they're cheap customs. Dave

Last edited:
If someone wants to get technical, I don't know what my rifles are actually capable of, but I'm sure it's better than I can shoot. I only know what they are capable of in my hands, off a bipod/backpack and a rear bag. It's usually...~0.1 mils! (Or to just under 0.2 mils, or 1/3-1/2 MOA). Less than that is FREAKING HARD, especially at distance. They shoot what I can hold in that set-up and I'm just not a guy who can shoot in the 0.1s and rarely shoot in the 0.2s. That said, if my groups open up the rifles are precise enough that I know something is up (either technical error- paralax/cant issue, needs to be cleaned or I need to redo load development/chase lands a little, etc).

Really If you don't take a man at his word why would you even try to be on these sites. I'm not trying to impress any one just wanted to state my options. What works for me might not for you but it might help you sort out the bugs. I'm not arrogant enough to think there isn't BS on every form but for some there just stating honest opinions.

Load development, sight in/zero and shooting steel/paper at distance all done off bipod and rear bag. Same set up I use while hunting, when I have time to set up. I also shoot off my pack that I use. Sometimes I shoot prone and sometimes at a bench seated. If I'm doing load development, usually seated at a bench but still bipod and rear bag. As far as the guys that claim .2s and .3s every time, good for them. I'm not competing against them, I'm in a competition with myself and Mother Nature.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.