“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

neck sized that will shoot 3 shot groups in the low to mid twos and very occasionaly high ones went to I/2" best, some closer to 3/4".

Yes! This is the kind of anecdotal experience I'm looking for. Thank you for sharing your direct comparison (as well as your honesty).

BTW, when you shot your .246" group "on demand", what kind of support setup did you have on the bench?

BTW, when you shot your .246" group "on demand", what kind of support setup did you have on the bench?
Same as avatar, Caldwell Rock with sand bag on front and an allen eared bag on the back. Use the forend stop on the rock to get the same forend position and the bag sits against the pistol grip. Try to have same position for each shot, 11lb gun in 22-250 it stays on target when I shoot...slight push back is all you get. In avatar its sitting on a picnic table for the pic but at range they are big heavy benches in concrete with adj height seats to get you level and the cut out for inline positioning. Always sit the exact same position (helps to be a little ocd :)

I can't shoot like that "all day" or in any conditions, I pick calm days, stay away from caffene, and try to zone out and want to be surprised when that 26oz trigger breaks. Three shot groups are of course easier to shoot tight than 5 or 10 shot strings, but I'm not playing by anyone's rules but mine. Every piece of brass is weight sorted every bullet weighed and the powder charge weighed on 2 scales when loading. Every cartridge is concentric and every bullet the same distance off lands. Sorry to go into such detail but too many posts the opinion is this can be done anytime anywhere and I haven't found that to be true. That's why benchrest shooters are so amazing, they have to shoot under different conditions and can cope with wind weather and temp differences. I would never try, that's the big difference in causal and professional shooting.

20200110_111252.jpg
20200110_110518.jpg
20200110_111555.jpg

Sorry text didn't connect. I'm not very good at this. Here's some groups from this morning. Shot 6.5 CM and 22-250AI before wind got up so bad. Have 2 more rifles or 3 to shoot after weather calms down. Groups were (best) .195 to 3's. Had one beauty going and of course I screwed it up
All groups are 4 shots. All can be covered by a dime. Like the earlier post. Want to save my barrels. I was testing new loads and bullets. Got some keepers. 6.5 is a 117gr Hammer. I'm really liking these new bullets. Went through a whole box before I got them to shoot. Now I have my recipe! The 22s are 70 gr Berger VLDs. New barrel on varmint gun. Validating load.

I'm with you. I'm in NE Alabama. Got some test loads worked up and waiting in the shop.
Calling for wind gusts up to 40 tomorrow. Severe t storms with possibility of tornados Sat. Might not be conducive to little groups.
... you think?
No sir, not my kind of shooting weather at all. Looking at extended forcast, next week might be tough too .
Went to lawyer today to start devorse proceedings . Not my idea . Not what i want. I need to make little bitty groups on paper to get focused on something else.
Good shooting, by the way.

Some of the issue is how groups are measured. Its actually pretty easy to estimate the size if you know the caliber. For example, 2 .30 caliber hole that just touch would measure about .308" If theres paper between the holes its bigger than a .308" group. Lots of 1/2" groups get measured in the .2s and .3s.

I use calipers and measure outside to outside and deduct the caliber to get the center to center. Or if the rounds arent touching i will measure from one side of a hole to the same side of the farest hole and that is the same number as the center to center.

I use calipers and measure outside to outside and deduct the caliber to get the center to center. Or if the rounds arent touching i will measure from one side of a hole to the same side of the farest hole and that is the same number as the center to center.
I like measuring side to side. It comes out very close to the number you get with an official measuring tool. Measuring outside and subtracting is ok, but you have to measure a single bullet hole to get the actual size hole it makes. In case you get serious, http://www.neiljones.com/html/target_measuring.html

May I ask what caliber an what barrel your using. I'm looking to getting a new gun an want long barrel life with accuracy.
308 Rock Creek 12tw. I has a slight gain twist from about 13 or 12 7/8 to 12. It has been a good one

Last edited:
I seriously doubt I'll ever do this again. I actually got rid of the barrel that accomplished this because it was a thin little tuning fork that threw the cold bore shot like 2.5 MOA away from where the rest of them landed. It was temperamental but on a good day...

A651FD1D-010B-44B9-964F-4D57F3D3F44E.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.