“My rifle shoots .2s and .3s” ... huh?

Whoever says thier rifle shoots .2's and .3's, offer them $100 to do it for 5 shots on demand. I suspect you will keep your $100 bill for quite a while.

People exaggerate, or they have the most favorable definition possible (e.g. I shot a .2" 3 round group once, therefore my rifle shoots "2's" if I do my part)
Come on over and bring your $100 bill anytime. Be prepared to go home with out it!! Just sayin

Varmint Hunter: It won't be two hours before someone responding to your photo says "You shot that group by accident." Or, "Pure Luck:("

That particular rifle shot surprisingly small groups on a regular basis and was my primary groundhog rifle, taking hogs out to 1,000yds.
However, in that the posted group was the smallest group I ever fired at range, I'd have to agree that there was certainly some luck involved. Maybe the varying winds blew the bullets closer rather than apart as they usually do.

Here is my second smallest (lucky) group. There is certainly nothing wrong with being lucky once in awhile. :D
6.5 & 142 SMK.jpg

JE—what have you observed in terms of accuracy difference between using the lead sled vs bipod or bag? I'm just curious how much increase in group size is introduced by even an experienced shooter such as yourself.

Sorry We did get a little off topic, but when something is brought up that is related that might help, it should/could be discussed in my opinion
I hope I answered your question in Post #158.

J E CUSTOM

When you report your barrel's accuracy on this forum, which method did you use to get that group—solid rest or bipod/bag?
I use a rest like in the avatar, not a sled, machine rest, and not a bipod, I took it to mean anything used other than a bag or bipod, am I correct with your post?

Last edited:
Dont not sell your self short by thinking you cant shoot small without a Benchrest rifle. They have some advantages but properly build sporters can come very close, I also find sporters shoot better from a bipod than a rest any how. Bipods control torque better. The main difference is "benchresters" are very versed in tuning. Its all about tuning. Which is a skill all in its own. A rifles tune is changing all day every day. Keeping it in tune is the key. Hunting rifles change tune far more dramatically than BR rifles. Learning to tune and stay in tune is what keeps the winners on top. The farther you shoot the smaller the tune window gets as well.

Last edited:
I use a rest like in the avatar, not a sled, machine rest, and not a bipod, I took it to mean anything used other than a bag or bipod, am I correct with your post?

Ultimately I'm curious as to what folks are seeing In differences in group sizes between using a more solid platform vs. bipod/ squeeze bag where there are more shooter variables involved (but not to the extent of offhand shooting)

Ultimately I'm curious as to what folks are seeing In differences in group sizes between using a more solid platform vs. bipod/ squeeze bag where there are more shooter variables involved (but not to the extent of offhand shooting)
OK see what you mean, tried a front bag I could carry and a piece of covered foam like I sit on stand hunting. Groups opened up quite a bit, not terrible but portable for groundhog shooting and moveable compared to the solid bench and rock front rest. A gun that under ideal conditions with little wind and me not out of breath or breathing hard, plenty of time to shoot and no stress with no runout handloads weight sorted and chamber formed, neck sized that will shoot 3 shot groups in the low to mid twos and very occasionaly high ones went to I/2" best, some closer to 3/4". Now I don't intend to shoot the barrel out any faster than I can help it and I only shoot once at animals in real hunting conditions, so three is ample for target work. I'm sure a five shot group would open up some in most cases, but it would shorten barrel life also.

I had a benchrest shooter express doubt that was visiting the gunshop/range to talk to the smith(Jud) who builds accuracy remingtons and mausers as they were buddies from down country years back. Old Jud was telling him about my rifle and what it would do at 100yds. he asked to watch me shoot a group, we went out back and I set up, he really didn't believe when he saw V-Maxes instead of match ammo. I was hoping it would group good as the wind was coming up some from early morning when I like to shoot. Long story short it shot a three shot group of .246 and I offered to let him shoot it himself. He smiled and said don't ever get rid of it and save that barrel as long as possible. Dave

Dont not sell your self short by thinking you cant shoot small without a Benchrest rifle. They have some advantages but properly build sporters can come very close, I also find sporters shoot better from a bipod than a rest any how. Bipods control torque better. The main difference is "benchresters" are very versed in tuning. Its all about tuning. Which is a skill all in its own. A rifles tune is changing all day every day. Keeping it in tune is the key. Hunting rifles change tune far more dramatically than BR rifles. Learning to tune and stay in tune is what keeps the winners on top. The farther you shoot the smaller the tune window gets as well.
Amen, most competition shooters struggle to keep their guns on tune, wich seems near impossible for hunters and folks who have to shoot one and done, who don't get fowlers, or sighters, and have to take the first shot for score every time so to speak.

As the OP, please allow me to redirect this thread toward my original intent:

For the same rifle, what differences in groups sizes have you all observed when shooting off a sled/rest vs. a bipod or bags?

Interesting question. I don't know about a sled because I have never experimented with one. I also don't like a bipod except for some hunting. Bags do it for me.

I have a hard time believing these statements without pics of a full session to show consistent performance. We can all shoot a group in the 2s once every trip, but the majority of the time, not so much.
Agreed! Best information is from multiple 5 shot groups in a session. It's good to do multiple sessions over time on days of differing weather. After you get 4 or five sessions during differing weather THEN average out the groups (including the ones that don't fit your narrative) and you will find most of the really good shooters will average 1" groups when all the data is tabulated.
I prefer using a bench rest and shooting off bags when testing for groups and accuracy. It not only gives me information on the load but gives me information about my technique.

I think best info on accuracy is from a group of at least 20 shots.

If your rifle can't shoot that many without bullet holes start moving in some direction, get the rifle fixed. Most common cause is the receiver face ain't squared up with the barrel thread axis.

One interesting thing about zeros. Those I've got in standing, sitting and prone are about 1.5 MOA left from those at a bench resting the fore end on a bag and the buttplate shouldered.

Last edited:
I can't wait until the end of this weekend when the group photos start rolling in. I bet there will be a LOT of .3" groups on here.

There is a big difference between 50% of the shooters here than your average Joe at the range twice a year.

Ive been sitting on 50 rounds of test loads for my creed remage to test seating depth. Deer season ends this weekend , so im about ready to shoot some ! Looks like a wash this weekend in Ga though. Calling for bad weather with chance for tornadoes . Nasty stuff. Maybe first of next week. Got a few big distractions right now. Good time to unwind and shoot some tiny groups, hopefully !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.