Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

As stated in the quote in your post, the stock does NOT have a recoil reducer. I just seems as though it does because the recoil is so manageable. That is due to the design, construction and material of the stock.

As stated in the quote in your post, the stock does NOT have a recoil reducer. I just seems as though it does because the recoil is so manageable. That is due to the design, construction and material of the stock.
Yes, I read that it does NOT have the recoil reducer. I however do assume that you offer one on some of your guns, hence the reason I was asking about specifics.

Scot E.

LTLR,
man I'm glad I didn't miss this thread. It has been an amazing reading and pretty exiting.
You're right, it does take a special weapon that light to shoot that well, but it does also
take a special man behind the rig to complement it. I'm proud of you both, the shooter
and the Mcmillan EOL rifle.

Thank you! thank your for doing this. I for one I'm very thank full. I do realize all the work
time and money you have put into it. Thank You!

Is your wife still talking to you? :D

By now that great rifle is pretty much used and well used. Perhaps you can get a good deal
on it! Just saying... :)

Agreed! One of the reasons this is such a fun and valuable site. Thanks LTLR for all the work! I have a feeling there will be a lot of EOL's being purchased in the coming months!

Scot E.

Yes, I read that it does NOT have the recoil reducer. I however do assume that you offer one on some of your guns, hence the reason I was asking about specifics.

Scot E.

No, we don't use them in our rifles at all, however we have put several in our stocks when sent in by our customers. We have no opinion on which one is best.

Don,

Never had the chance to read the thread. Thanks for what I'm thinking was a great evaluation. Sounds like you really put the EOL McMillan through the ringer.

Thanks again for your time on this.

Don,

Never had the chance to read the thread. Thanks for what I'm thinking was a great evaluation. Sounds like you really put the EOL McMillan through the ringer.

Thanks again for your time on this.

Hi Bob,
Love your show. Keep up the good work. Kind of jealous though. Man you and your wife get to see and hunt in some beautiful country both foreign and domestic. Looking forward to watching the rest of the season. Welcome to LRH!

Thanks for the warm welcome! We have a great years worth of shows coming your way. A few more in both Africa, and South America. Then onto our fall hunts in the west. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments, I have put quite a bit into this however it has been very enjoyable working with such a fine rifle. When I accepted the invitation I did it understanding the time and effort it would take to give the rifle a proper evaluation. There is still quite a bit more to come when the wind settles again, very brisk today.

Yes, I am still married but my wife preffered I take her somewhere instead of attending the SCI show last week. That was fair considering all the time I have spent in the loading room and on the range along with a week at the shot show.

100_1580.jpg

I thought this would be a good spot to put the first animal harvested with this rifle. My son took this deer at 326 yards with one shot through the chest and the deer collapsed on the spot. He only had one morning home from college to hunt and we found this buck trailing some does during the November rut. I went on to take a very nice ten point whitetail over 700 yards and an elk at over 1000 yards with the rifle. Then the seasons expired. So far three shots and three animals filling the freezer.

My appologies for not getting more info up on this thread lately. I would love to shoot long range every day but just hasn't been possible lately. I just got back from the long range site where I shoot and again the wind was gusting way to bad. That makes several trips 30 miles out onto the blm and couldn't shoot. Looks good here at the house and when I get out there on the high desert the wind is whipping.

Since I posted the last long range targets I have had the flue twice, my dad fell down the stairs and I traveled across country to help him while he recovers. He is one of the few guys left who hit the beaches at Normandy in WW2 and deserves whatever help I can give when he needs it. I went blind over a six week period in my right eye and couldn't see a hundred yard target through the excellent Nightforce long range scope Mcmillan provided with the rifle. Had surgery last week and thank goodness I can see again, that was very scary.

It has been extremely windy regularly here. Some days with 40-60 mph winds but regularly 15-30 mph daily. Had a couple fairly calm days after snow storms and I couldn't get out to the high dessert blm land to the long range site because of snow drifts. Since I am testing for how well the rifle groups at long range I want fairly calm days to shoot.

I have quite a few of the 210 Bergers loaded with several different loads hoping to go out to 1500 yards. Also Eric Stecker at Berger tells me the 230 grain hunting bullets should be ready soon and looking forward to testing those out to 1500 plus yards. I am hoping to use those on my spring bear hunts.

I am working 16-18 hours a day finishing up my house but will break at any time the wind gives me a chance at testing these long range loads. I will post more targets and give further reports as soon as the wind and weather permits.

I hope your father is doing well, the next time you talk to him tell him THANK YOU from a very grateful nation and from a 65 year old kid of another guy who was on Omaha beach that day!
Hope your eye continues to improve.

Dave

Thanks Dirtball, we have got to take care of those guys and show them the appreciation while we still have a few of them around. My dad will be 88 in June if he makes it. His birthday is June 4, two days before normandy, Heck of a party. I have tremendous respect for people like your dad who put it all on the line for us. I can't imagine what they went through in that war. I was Viet Nam era like you and understand all war is undescribable anytime from current through all history.

Where does your father live? I'm a FF and if he is near me I can swing by from time to time or be a contact if you get worried. I live in western Wa

Thanks Pyroducks for the offer. He is in Alabama though. Going there again next week to see him.

My son and I have been getting some range time in lately. He has a bull bison tag for september and we have been shooting the Mcmillan EOL the past three days testing several different bullets and powders for all our upcoming hunts.

The great thing is everything we put in it shoots extremely well so it should satisfy whatever bullet criteria a guy wants to shoot in it. The past three days we have shot the 200 grain Nosler accubond, 208 Hornady Amax and the new 200 grain Cutting Edge bullet. We had very good groups with all which makes the choices tough. Basicaly just pick the one you want to shoot. I also tried a new powder into the mix. I have always had great success with H-870 in all the big boomers with heavy bullets. Most now prefer some newer powders with less temperature sensitivity however I always keep my bullets a constant temperature while hunting so that is not a factor with me. Had to learn that back in the 70's when there was no such thing as a temperature stable powder. Now some are definitely better at that than others. The beauty of H-870 in the big rifles is the extremly low velocity spreads. We had some groups with 3-5 fps spreads with this powder.

I am compiling all my data and notes and will get back tonite with the details of how each bullet did and the overall results of three days of shooting. Have got to be in Casper this afternoon and will finish reporting my data tonite when I return.

One of the funniest things happenned while shooting yesterday. This huge 85+ point antelope came walking down from a hill to see what we were doing after we started shooting. We watched him come in from over 1000 yards to within 100 yards of us. He stood there and watched a few shots then walked back up on the hill. He was never spooked or worried about what we were doing, just checking out our shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.