Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

Long Time Long Ranger

I have now accumulated quite a bit of data with the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman in 300 EOL Magnum and decided I have enough data to make a determination about accuracy and loading data to begin a thread on it. The barrel is a Schneider 26" 1-10" twist with a Vias brake. The scope used in the test is a Nightforce 5.5x22.

This rifle is designed for long range hunting with the 210 grain Berger bullet. The chamber is cut to allow the 210 grain Berger hunting bullet to be seated at the lands and allow proper feeding of the rifle which it does. The cartridge OAL is 3.7695" when this bullet is seated to the lands in this rifle.

What I wanted to achieve with the test is to determine the accuracy of the rifle at ranges to 1000 yards with the 210 grain Berger bullet it was designed for. Also for hunters who may be interested in the rifle however choose not to shoot the Berger bullet I wanted to know the level of accuracy that can be achieved with other top long range bullets and factory ammunition for the hunters who do not reload. I tested known accuracy loads with the 200 grain Nosler Accubond, 208 grain Hornady A-max and 180 grain C32 Cutting Edge bullets along with a box of factory Remington cartridges loaded with 180 grain Nosler Partion bullets. For the test I used Retumbo and replaced H-870 with WC-860. Those have been my two best powders for the 300 RUM and the two I have the most data for. Since H-870 is discontinued I replaced it with WC-860 which I have used to develope some extremely accurate loads with heavy bullets in other cartridges.

I will return in a couple hours and finish with an edit. This will be in stages.

Really interested in the results of the CE 180 with a 26" tube, this might be my next rebarrel. Will either do it in scheider barrel or if my rock creek works well rebarrel with another rock.

Could not edit so I will continue with several posts as I have time.

I shot a few groups at 100 yards to zero and then focused mostly on targets 300-600 yards since this rifle is advertised as a long range hunting rifle. The only bullet I am shooting beyond 600 yards is the 210 Berger the rifle was designed for. I just wanted to show how the rifle would shoot other bullets to 600 yards.

All the bullets used shot extremely well. Even the Remington factory loads held well under 1 moa shooting a 1.97" group at 300 yards. Accuracy loads with the 200 grain Accubond, 180 grain C32 cutting edge and 208 grain A-max held .25-.5 MOA to 600 yards. When I post some of the targets you will see excellent groups with all the bullets tested. Overall I could not name one bullet that shot better than the others out to 600 yards since they all performed so well. I would be perfectly comfortable shooting any of the listed bullets. Each bullet shot groups ranging from .25 to .5 MOA. Depending on the individual group each bullet at times hit .25 moa groups with .5-.6 moa on the worst groups. That was more a factor of me than the individual loads or bullets. Sometimes I held good and sometimes I didn't. But bottom line the rifle shot as good as I could with all bullets listed.

The best load I found that continuously shot extreme groups was the 210 grain Berger bullet with 99 grains of WC-860 using fed 215 match primers with a 3.7595" coal which is .01" off the lands. This rifle liked the Bergers seated off the lands. The best loads were seated .006-.01 off the lands. This load shot one of the better groups of 1.369" at 500 yards. This is the only load I have carried beyond 600 yards and only for one group. I set the target on the mountain behind the range then went back to the bench and ranged it at 911 yards. The one group measured 4.966". This is the load I will be shooting for the long range test to 1000 yards. At 3071 fps average the load is slower than the Retumbo loads however extreme spreads are single digit and I go with the accuracy and not the velocity. The Retumbo loads averaged about 80 fps faster.

The 180 grain c32 cutting edge bullet touched the lands at a coal of 3.893". It shot best in this rifle at 3.784" coal. The best load was 97 grains Retumbo, fed 215 match with a velocity of 3402-3407 fps. I could easily push this bullet to over 3450 fps with no pressure but this load was the most accurate at a slower velocity.

The 200 grain Accubond touched the lands at 3.764" coal. 3.759" proved to be very accurate with 93 grains of Retumbo and the fed 215 match primer. The velocity with this load averaged 3233 fps.

The 208 A-max touched the lands at a coal of 3.831". I loaded this bullet to a coal of 3.769" so it would eject through the G30 action since it is a hunting rifle and I felt most would want to know how it shot loaded as a repeater. At .062" off the lands this bullet shot .25-.5 moa repeatedly. Again WC-860 was the most accurate powder with loads between 98-99 grains giving very consistent velocity spreads and accuracy. Velocities averaged 3040-3080 fps with this powder. 91.5 grains of retumbo also shot excellent groups at 3160 fps.

I hope to post some group pictures tomorrow at the 200-600 yard targets with these different loads. Then I will post the long range targets as i shoot them using only the 210 Berger load since this rifle is built around using this bullet long range.

That's comming right along LTLR.
Glad your testing many different kinds of bullets, even if only out to 600yds.
The performance of all those bullets speaks volumes about a few things, Namely, a quality built firearm, but it also confirms that you were an exelent choice for an honest tester. Handloading skills, & shooting skills are a must. You obviously possess those, & I'm sure no one ever doubted that, but taking the time to work up that many loads, just for our sake, when the rifle was built for an entirely different bullet.... Thank you for all your effort put into the testing, for ALL of us.
Can't wait to see pics, & read how she does when you streach its legs!
(your having fun aren't you :Dgun))
Keep us posted.

Here are a few targets I shot last week. This is a continuing thread so I will update it as I shoot more targets. I tried to show different bullets and loads. If anyone has something they would like me to try in it let me know and I will try it. On my way to the SHOT Show now and will not be back until next weekend.

McMillan 004.jpg

McMillan 001.jpg

Many people I talk to shoot the 200 grain nosler Accubond bullet for long range out of the 300 RUM so I wanted to show the best load in this rifle and what it would do at various distances. I thought it shot this bullet very well. Also the bottom target shows a good group with the 208 grain Hornady Amax bullet.

McMillan 003.jpg

McMillan 005.jpg

The top target shows me blowing two exceptional groups with the first two shots through the same hole in both groups and then jerking the next, typical. A velocity drop cost me one target which was reloading. Probably a brass issue from not enough brass prep.

The bottom target shows several loads stretching out to the 600 yard target. I think the fact that this rifle basically shoots anything well is a testament to how well built it is. this shows one of the good groups with the 210 Berger and WC-860. That combination continued to shoot exceptional throughout the test so far. I am looking forward to getting that one out to 1000 yards.

McMillan 006.jpg

McMillan 007.jpg

The top picture shows me blowing another fabulous group with the 210 grain berger bullet. First two through the same hole then jerked one. Ended up .25 MOA which is what this bullet/powder combination has shot through the entire test. Right now if I were going long range hunting with this rifle this would be my load. Also on that target is a group with the remington factory ammo to show how well it shot in this rifle.

The bottom target shows my itch to stretch out the 210 berger load that has been shooting so well. I set the target at an unknown distance as if hunting. I went back to the bench and ranged the target at 911 yards and shot a sub 5" group. I am telling you guys the rifle will shoot. Throughout the test I have tried to be fair showing how several bullets perform in this rifle. I am not supported by and I am not a rep for any company and have no dawg in this fight. I was asked to do this test and am trying to think of ways to best show accurately how this rifle performs. If you guys have a load you want me to try let me know. I am leaving now for the SHOT show and will be back next weekend.

Thanks Winmag, it is a pleasure to shoot. I just loaded some 210 bergers with my best Retumbo load and going out 800-1000 yards in the morning weather permiting. Got snowed out this morning. For me Retumbo has always delivered the best pressure/velocity ratios with the 300 RUM and heavy bullets considering an extreme listed powder for temp sensitivity. I took care in breaking in the barrel properly and am very pleased with how easy the Schnieder polygon barrel cleans. I am getting minimal fouling with it. Trigger now down to 19 ounces crisp, clean and ready.

Any chance that you might try loading the 210 Bergers with H1000? I would be curious to see what results you would get. Also, what brass are you shooting?

I'm shooting the same barrel with 28" #5.5 taper and my best accuracy is with the H1000; however, I'm seeing pressure signs at 88 grains.

My load is 86 grains if H1000, Fed 215M primers, Nosler Brass (3,050 fps). My best group is 1.5" @ 700 yards.

Thanks LTLR, I don't have a 300 RUM, but interesting following your reports. I also attended the Shot Show, it was a blast!

Thanks again for the report on the rifle and loads!

Yes, I just loaded some H-1000 with the 210's to test. My load with the old H-1000 was 91.5 grains. I used the new powder this time and dropped it to 88 grains to be safe. I am using Remington brass and fed 215 match primers. From your info I hope I am not to hot. 3050-3150 fps is right in the zone and you are there with 86 grains so I will watch carefully. I would not change that load with that kind of group. I think my best with this rifle at 500 yards was around 1.38" or so three shots.

Thanks Capt, I think this year was the biggest show I have seen. Just keeps growing, great for the industry!

The weather has been very windy for several days and not conducive for testing long range loads. Today it is 20-30 mph steady with gusts over 50. Saturday evening it dropped to 5-10 mph before dark and I shot some 100 yard groups to test some H-1000 loads against some Retumbo loads. As has been my history with this cartridge Retumbo continued to give the best velocity/pressure ratios. This rifle is no different with Retumbo shooting on average 75-100 fps faster with maximum loads. With heavy bullets H-1000 is a little fast burning for this cartridge with the slower burning Retumbo providing the best results. As many of you know I have spent quite a lot of time with the 300 RUM introduced in 1999 since late 1998 and have quite an extensive amount of loading data on it and several of the wildcats off it.

After testing several powders and loads with this rifle the best load so far with the 210 grain Berger bullet is 92 grains of retumbo, fed 215 match primer, with an OAL of 3.760 inches providing a velocity of 3170 fps on average. This load has maintained .25-.35 moa accuracy out of this rifle to 600 yards. When the wind settles I will shoot targets to 1000 yards. The secant ogive on the Berger bullets provide great ballistic coefficients however are critical with seating depth in different rifles. Most times seating depth must be tweaked in each rifle to provide best results. In other words going from 1" groups at 100 yards to .25" groups with a little tweaking of seating depth. 100 yard groups Saturday were excellent and I will be posting those when I get them downloaded.

As I continue to test this rifle the primary factor that continues to impress me is the long range accuracy Mcmillan was able to achieve with this rifle in a 7 3/4 pound package. Exceptional engineering to take out ounces wherever they could while maintaining a serious long range rifle in a large magnum cartridge that has very light recoil while shooting heavy bullets. Recoil is a complete non-factor while shooting this rifle. I can hold the rifle lightly and focus on the target with no concern of recoil. Little engineering marvels like that show a quality built rifle with quite a bit of thought process worked into the design. I am a hunter and that is my priority hunting all over North America every year. I have done this for many years and as the years go by my priorities get more refined. Bottom line though is a rifle capable of extreme long range accuracy that is light enough for me to backpack and carry all day with very light recoil allowing me to shoot comfortabley in any position. The Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman rifle provides all those critical elements for succesful hunting.

The NP3 coating on the action provides easy functioning in any extreme climate or hunting conditions and I can field strip the bolt easily while out hunting if needed to clean debri or change a firing pin. They thought of about everything with this hunting rifle and it has been a pleasure to shoot it and hunt with it.

I will post more targets as soon as the wind settles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.