First Blood/Mcmillan 300 EOL Outdoorsman

Long Time Long Ranger

Here is a picture of my excited and happy young son with the first animal we took with the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman in 300 EOL magnum. He only had one morning home from college to hunt so we hunted hard all morning and finally found this nice muley buck chasing some does through a meadow. He made a perfect shot at 326 yards right through both lungs and the 300 EOL dropped him in his tracks. The bullet we used was a 180 grain C-21 Cutting Edge.

100_1580.jpg

Good looking buck! I'm starting to like the looks of that rifle more & more, thank god i'm left handed...:D

The C-21 sounds pretty darn impressive... 180grn .6 BC!? Wow, talk about flat shooting. I have 100cnt 130grn G05 6.5's to play with when my WSM gets finished...gun)

Way cool LT, tell him were all proud, & congrats on drawing first blood with the new boomstick!

Looking forward to more reviews with dead critters, from you on that rifle.

Thanks everyone, I was very happy for him. He came home from college and we only had that one morning to hunt. I am very proud of him working so hard and doing so well his first semester away at college. I was hoping he would get a buck because he worked hard enough at school to deserve a good hunt.

What velocities are you getting with the C.E. 180 in that 26" barrel? I'm building a 7RM but when this barrel goes I'm strongly considering a 300 RUM with a 26" barrel.

Thanks everyone.

Pyro, It will shoot the 180 grain cutting edge bullet in the high 3400's however the best accuracy and spreads were with 98 grains of Retumbo with spreads running 3402-3409 fps. I am sure if I worked with that bullet more I could get some good loads in the mid 3400's fps. Because of the custom throat in this rifle chambered to shoot the 210 berger at the lands the CE bullets can not be seated per recomended. They must be seated deeper however this is normal with some other rifles and the CE bullets shoot well seated deeper. I don't remember the coal for the CE in this rifle but will post it in the range test thread. The cutting edge bullets run on average about 70 fps faster than conventional bullets from my testing.

The EOL Outdoorsman is throated for the 210 berger however I wanted to show what the rifle is capable of with other bullets so a guy who may not want to shoot the bergers but is interested in the rifle will know how other bullets perform. So far I have shot the 180 cutting edge, 200 nosler accubonds and 180 partitions, hornady 208 Amax, etc. I also bought a box of remington loaded ammo in 180 partition to see how factory loads shot in it. So far it is lights out with everything I have put in it.

Hunting license- X $$$, rifle- $6000, that picture- priceless!!! Nice going on such a short hunt and best of luck to him on his education!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.