Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

Korhil, If you look back through some of my old tests I was getting 3100's fps with 91.5-92 grains retumbo. Three things changed. I ran out of that lot of retumbo and now working on new loads. Also previous testing was in winter/spring Wyoming weather. This weekend it was 104-107 degrees. Another thing is this rifle gets more velocity with lighter loads than my other RUM's. Also the berger loads were closer to the lands than previous tests. All these combinations will produce different results. I noticed the velocity difference immediately while shooting and was shocked with less powder getting more velocity.

I have two other 300 RUM's and they shoot on average 2+ grains of powder more to get the same velocity and both are 28" barrels. This one is getting the same velocity with less powder and a 26" barrel. Go figure that one. Probably in the Mcmillan chamber and Schneider barrel they used. Maybe they are on to something or like all rifles each are different. Load for the one you have and get it right. Don't worry about what the other guy is getting with his. That is what I learned years ago.

Wildrose, this rifle is the tightest, slickest operating action with the most minimum tolerances I have ever shot but I assure you it does not squeak. Mcmillan went to great lengths with their proprietary coating to insure that it is weather resistant and does not squeak even in the most demanding hunting environments.

Barnesuser, As you seat closer to the lands you will build more pressure and therefore velocity with equal powder charges. Barnes bullets typically do not like to be close to the lands so I don't know if I would change that closer. With heavy bullets like the 280 grain Retumbo should give you more velocity than H-1000. Velocity spread is the key and if you have a super accurate load you are good. A 280 grain at that velocity will get you way out there and kill anything that walks. If you have a 26" barrel you are in the range of where you should hit a good load with the lapua. I have two now and have tested many on my old range at the shop when I was developing and testing several improved designs along with the standard lapua. I think you could increase your powder charge and get more velocity without having to much pressure but accuracy is the key and not how fast you can shoot. 2850 fps would be on the high end and barrels can differ near 200 fps with best loads. Just message me.

Last edited:
I didn't. I know how pleased you are with this rifle and we're all enjoying reading along as you test it.

Maybe they'll forget where they dropped it off.... .gun)

I think that many of us are hoping that the rifle will go on a "round the US tour." :D

Korhil78, H-1000 and Retumbo can vary quite a bit lot to lot from what I have found. I would suggest to anyone buy this powder in bulk or risk changing your loads with each batch. My H-1000 loads are down three grains from my data in the late 90's. The past three years or so it seems each lot can vary a couple grains. I have used Hodgdon's H870 since the 60s and it can easily vary 3-4 grains batch to batch. That is why when I buy powder I buy in bulk from the same lot number. Sometimes I get a batch of powder that shoots incredible and I am sick when I run out of it.

All rifles have peculiarities and one I have found with this rifle I mentioned was max loads typically run about two grains less powder than my other 300 RUM's. However it gets the same velocity with a 26" barrel I am getting with my 28" barrel rifles. At first it was interesting but I wanted more testing to see if it was an anomaly. Now I have shot many rounds and loads through this rifle and this tendancy has continued. At this point I can say from enough testing this rifle will shoot equal to my 28" barrels with about two grains less powder. Maybe it is in the EOL reamer or just a quirk of this particular rifle. But that is what my data shows.The throat is shorter than my other 300 RUM's which is a factor but I would not have thought that much a factor. Then the Schneider polygon barrel could have something to do with velocity compared to my 28" barrels which are Hart and Pac-Nor 1-10 twist. This is the first Schneider I have ever shot.

Korhil78, H-1000 and Retumbo can vary quite a bit lot to lot from what I have found. I would suggest to anyone buy this powder in bulk or risk changing your loads with each batch. My H-1000 loads are down three grains from my data in the late 90's. The past three years or so it seems each lot can vary a couple grains. I have used Hodgdon's H870 since the 60s and it can easily vary 3-4 grains batch to batch. That is why when I buy powder I buy in bulk from the same lot number. Sometimes I get a batch of powder that shoots incredible and I am sick when I run out of it.

All rifles have peculiarities and one I have found with this rifle I mentioned was max loads typically run about two grains less powder than my other 300 RUM's. However it gets the same velocity with a 26" barrel I am getting with my 28" barrel rifles. At first it was interesting but I wanted more testing to see if it was an anomaly. Now I have shot many rounds and loads through this rifle and this tendancy has continued. At this point I can say from enough testing this rifle will shoot equal to my 28" barrels with about two grains less powder. Maybe it is in the EOL reamer or just a quirk of this particular rifle. But that is what my data shows.The throat is shorter than my other 300 RUM's which is a factor but I would not have thought that much a factor. Then the Schneider polygon barrel could have something to do with velocity compared to my 28" barrels which are Hart and Pac-Nor 1-10 twist. This is the first Schneider I have ever shot.
The last is an interesting point. I've heard several other people say they've had similar higher velocities from the polygon barrels compared to standard traditional rifling.

I'm currently shooting a Schneider P5 in my custom build and they do seem to run faster than normal. I'm shooting the 210 grain Berger with 86.5 grains of H1000 and getting 3,050 fps in a 28" barrel. Accuracy is excellent.

AZ, I have some very nice groups in the test with the 210 berger also. This rifle liked Retumbo best averaging about 100 fps faster. Every rifle is different though. Again, this rifle is shooting about the same velocities as my 28" barrel rifles. Could be just a fast barrel or maybe there is something to this Schneider polygon barrel. It is very accurate at those fast velocities though.

I have been shooting this rifle quite a bit the past two days trying to get my loads worked back up. The new lot of Retumbo is faster by about two grains than the previous lot I was working with and had to change all my load data. Hunting seasons are quickly closing in and in fast mode now to get locked in again.

After quite a bit of testing loads the 208 Hornady Amax is really starting to shine with this new batch of powder. I shot two great groups this morning with 90 grains Retumbo and the 208 loaded 3.842" which is just touching the lands. The velocity averaged 3121 fps with a spread averaging under 10 fps with all the groups.

At 500 yards I hit a two inch bullseye with all shots from a five shot group. This was one of the best groups I have shot with the rifle considering I am now shooting five shot groups instead of three. Starting to get the scope dialed in as well and not just shooting groups any more. With hunting season drawing near my shooting is getting more serious moving to five shot groups to show consistency and getting the scope dialed in exactly to the load instead of just on target to see a group.

I moved out to 1200 yards and shot a five shot group under ten inches with this load. Amazing for a 7 3/4 pound rifle. I missed a little with both wind and shot high. Now getting the BC dialed in to repeat shots from 100-1200 yards.

The 208 Amax ballistic coefficient calculated out to be .652 according to JBM to match 1200 yard drops. I did not give it that much and missed high. Anyone out there who has tested the BC of the 208 Amax please chime in. I am shooting again in the morning to recheck the .652 bc and will probably shoot further to test it. Just getting everything dialed in for hunting season with this bullet. As time allows I will do the same for other bullets. The powder issue has caused some time constraints having to change up all my loads this close to hunting season.

I'm currently shooting a Schneider P5 in my custom build and they do seem to run faster than normal. I'm shooting the 210 grain Berger with 86.5 grains of H1000 and getting 3,050 fps in a 28" barrel. Accuracy is excellent.
There's a pretty good article here on polygonal rifling and it's advantages which goes along with the results you are both seeing.

That explains why this rifle is so easy to clean and needs cleaning less frequently than other standard rifled barrels I am accustomed to. Also why it shoots the same velocity as my longer 28" barrels.

I went through my usual barrel break in cleaning schedule and since then it has been a breeze as far as cleaning is concerned.

That explains why this rifle is so easy to clean and needs cleaning less frequently than other standard rifled barrels I am accustomed to. Also why it shoots the same velocity as my longer 28" barrels.

I went through my usual barrel break in cleaning schedule and since then it has been a breeze as far as cleaning is concerned.

Yep. I'm almost never one to jump on the latest fad of any kind, but then the hex or polygon rifling isn't something new although it's been slow to catch on with the hunting rifle community for some reason. However the more I see and hear I'm getting closer and closer to making my next barrel one of them for the same reasons.

They are already seeing greatly extended barrel life with them vs other standard rifled barrels comparing same loads, same calibers so I'm thinking that If I get one made and have it melonited shortly after break in.

My next project is going to be a from the ground up custom so I'll want to ensure I get as much life out of it as possible.

Yep. I'm almost never one to jump on the latest fad of any kind, but then the hex or polygon rifling isn't something new although it's been slow to catch on with the hunting rifle community for some reason. However the more I see and hear I'm getting closer and closer to making my next barrel one of them for the same reasons.

They are already seeing greatly extended barrel life with them vs other standard rifled barrels comparing same loads, same calibers so I'm thinking that If I get one made and have it melonited shortly after break in.

My next project is going to be a from the ground up custom so I'll want to ensure I get as much life out of it as possible.

Wildrose, Thanks for the link, it was actually very informative... The only diffrence now is that the Schneider Barrels are button rifled barrels vs forged. Also, what is the process to have the barrel Melonited? Will it effect the barrel diameter or headspacing when reinstalling the barrel?

Long Range Long Timer, I tried Retumbobut I didn't have the same results that I did with with H1000. I also like that the H1000 is supposed to be more temp stable, being in Arizona, I tend to do most of my shooting in the summer and the hunt in the winter, which can be a 70 degree temp swing. Also, do you know how they modified the 300 RUM reamer to get the 300 EOL Mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.