First Blood for the 6br!!!!!

Nice ram, good shootin. If you go back and pop one of those axis dont leave it there as crow bait. Axis is some of the best meat I have ever tasted...just got to thinking about it and had to get some out to thaw for supper tomorrow.

Rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter in 6br with a 11-8 twist bbl. I am shooting lapua brass and 30.5grs of Varget with a 105 AMAX just kissin the lands.

steve

Thanks Jimm, i am doing a euro skull mount with it. I will bring a pic with me down to the alex shoot, gonna be alot of fun and ready to see ya there

steve

I am shooting the 105 amax to right at 2900 fps and it is the only VLD style bullet i am planning on shooting for game. the polymer tip just increases the chances of positive expansion so much at long range. After watching several pdogs trot off with fatal wounds from BJ's 6-250 and the 105 bereger I decided i would use use the amax

steve

[ QUOTE ]
I am shooting the 105 amax to right at 2900 fps and it is the only VLD style bullet i am planning on shooting for game. the polymer tip just increases the chances of positive expansion so much at long range. After watching several pdogs trot off with fatal wounds from BJ's 6-250 and the 105 bereger I decided i would use use the amax

steve

[/ QUOTE ]
lerch,
the 105 v-max works very well at lower velocities such as in a 6mmBR or a 6-250, but wildcat is talking about a 6x284. these bullets varorize out of a 6x284 at any velocity. I cant get a reading of the f.p.s. from my chronograph because they are already in a copper butter lead mulch going through the sky screens. the berger 95gr VLD shoots better in all of my guns wont blow up like the 105gr berger,wont vaporize like the 105 a-max and will give wildcat the velocity he can make a half dozen posts off of. it has great terminal performance on varmints and on thin skinned big-game(deer,antelope).
UB
p.s. the berger 95gr VLD also has a better B.C. than the 105gr v-max .514 as opposed to .500

[ QUOTE ]
these bullets varorize out of a 6x284 at any velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont really understand that but they will puff usually at speeds above 3200fps. Sorry wildcat I didnt see what you were shooting when you asked me, while the amax is a great bullet it aint gonna hold up to speeds that you can push it.

I personnaly just aint a big fan of berger bullets for varmint shooting. The do work great at normal ranges and they definantly have some amazing BC's but at longer range when the bullet has slowed down alot I have seen some bad showings by them, basically the bullets were preforming like a FMJ. You will have ALOT farther effective range with these bullets than i would at my velocities so I bet you like the results better. Im just kinda partial to those poly tipped bullets.

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

steve

[/ QUOTE ]
lerch,
the 105 v-max works very well at lower velocities such as in a 6mmBR or a 6-250, but wildcat is talking about a 6x284. these bullets varorize out of a 6x284 at any velocity. I cant get a reading of the f.p.s. from my chronograph because they are already in a copper butter lead mulch going through the sky screens. the berger 95gr VLD shoots better in all of my guns wont blow up like the 105gr berger,wont vaporize like the 105 a-max and will give wildcat the velocity he can make a half dozen posts off of. it has great terminal performance on varmints and on thin skinned big-game(deer,antelope).
UB
p.s. the berger 95gr VLD also has a better B.C. than the 105gr v-max .514 as opposed to .500

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if I just got lucky or maybe had good bullets. In my 25-284 I ran 75 grain V-max to 3800. It shot the best group at like 3650 I think. Why would have mine held together and not yours. I had heard before that the V-max dust at higher velocities.

Shorter baring surface helps alot and I am not sure of the jacket differences between the V-Max and the Amax.

Lerch, no problem. I just wanted to know what speeds the 105grn A-Max will handle. If I use it in my 6x284, I will just run it at around 3150 fps to be safe. It sounds like a great bullet for varmint shooting.

Wildcat

Hey UncleB, do you have to be sarcastic and try and poke fun at me on someone's post. Why don't you just stick to the topic and leave your comments to yourself!!!!

Sorry, Lerch, I had to say something.

Wildcat

[ QUOTE ]
Hey UncleB, do you have to be sarcastic and try and poke fun at me on someone's post. Why don't you just stick to the topic and leave your comments to yourself!!!!

Sorry, Lerch, I had to say something.

Wildcat

[/ QUOTE ]

You always do ...................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wildcat

Its all good bud, i am sure you will like the bullet, just keep an eye on how fast yer pushin her. Everybody's got different opinions and i just trust the polymer tipped bullets better at long range and low impact velocities.

As for the other dont worry about it and dont let it get to ya.

take it easy
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.