First Blood for the new 6.5 PRC

Timnterra

I got a chance to do some antelope hunting this year in South Dakota. It's been a long time since I've been able to draw a tag, I guess I'm just not lucky but I finally got a buck tag this year. Unfortunately I accidentally put in for a unit that I have never been to because I was looking at the deer unit maps instead of the antelope units which happen to be quite different in just this one area. I had one day for scouting and spent the whole day driving walking and glassing. I only saw about 10 goats that whole day. Two dinky bucks by themselves and one okay bucks with a herd of dies. I decided that I would hunt the one bucks I'd seen instead of hoping that I might stumble onto something better. Opening morning there were road hunters rolling everywhere. Several were parked looking out their windows with binos close to where I had seen the small herd. Luckily the herd was invisible from the road, you had to walk about a mile to get over this hill to see the pond where I had seen the antelope before. Not long after I got over the hill the antelope started making their way out of the pond. The buck stopped broadside at 550yds and waited for the 147eldm to burst his heart. He ran down into a draw about 20yds and never came out.

Attachments

• 32777BA2-5635-43BD-B407-2CFABB2A52F9.jpeg
    32777BA2-5635-43BD-B407-2CFABB2A52F9.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 419
Nice job. What are the details of your rifle?
It's a MacBros Evo action with a Benchmark carbon wrapped 1-7.5" twist barrel with a Hawkins muzzle brake. Sitting in a Manners SL carbon stock with a Jewell trigger and obendorf bottom metal with Wyatt's box. The scope is a VX6 3-18 windplex.