New rig ready for first blood?

Howa 1500 in 22-250
Nikko Sterling 3-9x42
40 grain V-Max @ approx. 4100 ft a sec. I'd have to check how much varget it takes. I load about 200 at a time.
Oh and a detachable 300yard spotlight for night callin.
She aint much on paper about an inch, but she's compact, light and fast for off hand shots.
Myy buddies afffectionately named her the varmint whisperer. Lol

Attachments

• 4621f73f-086d-461d-a32f-d250278bead2-1.jpg
    4621f73f-086d-461d-a32f-d250278bead2-1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 54
My varmint shootin usualy runs from in your lap to300yds and change. A lot of my callin is at night and I haven't found an affordable portable spotlight good for much more than 300 yds. I don't care how many camdle power they say it has. I'm curious about the new green lazers but am hearing mixed reviews. Hey if it ain't broke...
If the wind picks up a lot I grab the 308 or call harder. Ha ha

I found this baby on the clearance rack at bass pro... cheap
One of the best bang for the buck buys I've stumbled across
On the predators I really value speed of handling and flat shooting!
The yotes around here are pretty well educated so the action tends to be fast.

When spotlighting the quality of your glass and the clarity of the air are all important.

We've shot well beyond 1/4 mile with spotlights in the 1-2 million candle power range for years but if it's the least bit dusty, foggy, or light rain the glare gets pretty awful if you are behind the light as with your rig. If you can have a spotter off to the side with the light that greatly reduces the problem.

There are some made that have an extendable tripod built right into the handle that work amazingly well. Last couple I bought I think came from either Cabela's or BassPro.

Southeastern Colorado. Friend of the family has a huge ranch.
And thanks guys. I just didn't wanna sound like I was braggin some of these guys with their half moa or under guns and thousand plus yard kills are outa my league.
My best was a bull elk at 548 yards with a stock 338 win mag.
I love that part of the country. Some really great people out there. Some of my best friends are in the Guymon, OK and Limon CO areas.

The high desert country certainly isn't for everyone but I love it. Just damned tough to make a living off of it that's for sure.

We've run the spot light for each other and used the big million+ candle power ones from the truck a good bit. I can spot eyes a long way and have stretched a shot or two when I was certain it was not a small deer or whatever but to be really effective? I wonder if the ultra humid Dallas smog infected air around here is culpable?

We've run the spot light for each other and used the big million+ candle power ones from the truck a good bit. I can spot eyes a long way and have stretched a shot or two when I was certain it was not a small deer or whatever but to be really effective? I wonder if the ultra humid Dallas smog infected air around here is culpable?
High humidity will definitely create problems to some degree.

Look directly into the path of the spotlight (not at the light the other way) and if you see anything but a clear beam you know it's going to be a short range night.

Particles of any sort and moisture both reflect a lot of light and thus create a lot of haze and glare.

Well the new rig was up to the task. A 7mm Berger VLD at 3050 fps is definately enough for my requirements. The gun was light and fast enough to handle running yotes.

Attachments

• dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    dc206f18-09c2-4571-b817-b4fbee359230.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 14df0095-f32e-461f-b789-cdf6706bcee7.jpg
    14df0095-f32e-461f-b789-cdf6706bcee7.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 67
Some how I got the idea you were a greenie to this stuff.

Was that ever wrong!:rolleyes:

Good goin'!!!!

I like seeing success especially where a fella has put a bit of his own handicraft into the process.

Success is certainly hard to beat. Congrats.

As this drought persistes predator/varmint control is going to become a real major deal here in Tx.

Coyotes, bobcats, coons, and skunks are getting desperate and wondering into areas in search of food they'd normally avoid like the plague. We even had a VERY large cougar killed here in the county a couple of months back.

Seems your timing for getting this rig together couldn't have been better.

Thanks guys. Like my old man says " even a blind hog finds an acorn ever once in a while"
Pretty lucky on the yotes. I was headed up to my glassin spot and jumped the first one on accident. It was a 383 yard runing away " texas heart shot". (Had to guess at the range till after the fact) Then I figured, why skin just one? Three in less than two hours was kinda quick considerin I wasnt callin.

The ranch foreman saidd he hadd some coyote problems back in calving season and would appreciate the thinin' of the pack... shame I left the foxpro at home. Figuures huh?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.