6.5 Allen Xpress draws first blood....

Nice buck Kirby. Your right, they don't all have to be world class to be great animals. Sometimes it is the circumstances within the hunt that make them special.

I myself, in the past several years, have had a seemingly loss of interest in shooting a deer. I have found it is more enjoyable for me to see just how close in I can get them or how close up I can sneak up on them in the woods. It REALLY gets the ticker pumping to call one in on you like you did. Even more so for me than to actually make the shot. Nothing like a testosterone charged buck coming in up close and personal ready for a rumble to get your juices flowing. Don't get me wrong, if the right one makes a showing, I will not have a problem squeezing the shot off. I just don't seem to be nearly as mad at them as I once was./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like you mentioned even the young ones can put up a decent show.

Thanks for the report and good luck on your upcoming trip. Looking forward to seeing what those AM's will be doing up north.

Shawn,

I absolutely agree. I was just not sure if that is what you were getting at. Over the 200+ emails Kirby and I have passed back and forth we have talked about this exact topic on several occasions. I hope you didn't take what I wrote the wrong way, I was trying to see if you were getting at more then what I had originally thought.

Shawn,

As you well know, knowing when not to shot is often every bit as important as when you should shoot. There is no shame in passing on an shot at long range. There is also no shame in harvesting an animal at close range. Either way though I am sure we all agree it should be quick and as humane as possible for the game we hunt.

I just simply had not gotten enough time with the rifle on the range to take a shot in the conditions that were present. I have learned long ago if there is the least amount of doubt in your mind about making the shot its best to pass or get closer if possible.

Thanks for your kind words, coming from someone with your experience and skills, it means alot.

Kirby Allen(50)

I know I messed up not getting the rifle in the pics. I was by myself and my **** digital camera was giving me fits. Not good to have a camera that is smarter then you are!!!

Anyway, here are a couple pics of the rifle. Specs are:

Ruger M77 MkII(7mm Rem Mag originally)
Lilja 26" #6 contour 1-8 barrel
Holland QD brake
Ruger factory laminated stock(bedded)
Ruger rings
Weaver V-Tac 4.5-14 (predecessor of the Tactical)
Load: 140 gr Parition @3320 fps

340067.jpg

340069.jpg

Its not a terribly light rifle but its lighter then my 30" Extreme Sporters and much quicker handling.

I will be finishing up my 7mm Allen Mag that I will be taking to Canada here this afternoon. Will post some pics of this rifle as well and hopefully soon some pics with a VERY LARGE Whitetail!!! We shall see.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.