338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

I don't want to read the prior 25 pages to find out so I hope this won't be a hijack - is anyone here testing RL33 with a standard 338 Edge? If not please point me in the right direction, if so I'd like to share my experience with it.

After breaking in a 28" Bartlien barrel w/30 to 40 rounds I started load development using H1000 w/300 OTMs. I went to 92grns - 2807fps average and was hammering the brass.

Went to RL33 and was completely blown away! (3.825 OAL, 0.005 off the lands) Went up to 106grns, crushing a bit, and was averaging 3009fps very slight ejector marks, bolt lift normal, ES and SD excellent.

I then started testing with HBN and needed to go to 109grns to keep the same pressure. I couldn't be happier! 2015 I took a very nice bull moose at 500 yards and last year my son dropped one at just under 700 yards, bullet performance was excellent.

Have a nice 4th!
Tom

Last edited:
I didn't find H-1000 very impressive in my edge either. The best performance--all around--was with RL33. Without consulting my records I'd say 3009 fps was my average also. I had a 30" Hart on a M70 action. Upon remembering that you might be the fella that bought it from me!

I didn't find H-1000 very impressive in my edge either. The best performance--all around--was with RL33. Without consulting my records I'd say 3009 fps was my average also. I had a 30" Hart on a M70 action. Upon remembering that you might be the fella that bought it from me!

Refresh my memory, I'm not sure what I bought from you?

Tom

I believe my results are posted somewhere in the first 24 pages of this thread, but they are as follows:

338 Allen Xpress
Stiller TAC-338 action
Krieger 28" barrel

Load:
Brass: 338 Lapua (fire-formed)
Bullet: Berger 300 gr. VLD
Powder: RL33 - 106 grains
Primer: Federal Lg. Magnum Rifle
Velocity: 2,975 fps average

Thank you for responding, I was looking for results on a standard 338 edge. I'm not real familiar with the 338 Allen xpress what are the differences?

Tom

Results should be very close to each other. I believe the 338 AX holds another 6-8 grains more than the 338 edge. Best to start low and work up slowly.

I don't want to read the prior 25 pages to find out so I hope this won't be a hijack - is anyone here testing RL33 with a standard 338 Edge? If not please point me in the right direction, if so I'd like to share my experience with it.

After breaking in a 28" Bartlien barrel w/30 to 40 rounds I started load development using H1000 w/300 OTMs. I went to 92grns - 2807fps average and was hammering the brass.

Went to RL33 and was completely blown away! (3.825 OAL, 0.005 off the lands) Went up to 106grns, crushing a bit, and was averaging 3009fps very slight ejector marks, bolt lift normal, ES and SD excellent.

I then started testing with HBN and needed to go to 109grns to keep the same pressure. I couldn't be happier! 2015 I took a very nice bull moose at 500 yards and last year my son dropped one at just under 700 yards, bullet performance was excellent.

Have a nice 4th!
Tom

I've gone up to 102gr in my Edge for 2970-2990 fps (the barrel is new and seems to be speeding up a bit). It's a 30" McGowan. I stopped there as the results were strinkingly good, and I was just starting to see the primer corners flatten a bit so I called "good enough" with these expensive Nosler cases. No ejector or bolt lift at all. ES was 15-20fps. I don't doubt someone could get to 106gr, but I saw no need to press it that far and do believe based on my ladder that I'd see pressure signs and shortened case life if I pressed it over 3000fps consistently.

Given my original goal the more typical 2850fps reported with H1000, needless to say I'm happy.

Thus far, accuracy has been awesome. My initial ladder went into an oblong hole at 100 that was impossible to learn anything from. After deciding on 102gr I was able to shoot a few groups at 833 yards. Vertical on ALL groups was <.5 MOA. The one 3-shot group I got off in steady wind was 1-3/8 inches.

NZ LongRanger,

That is very interested test results. The more I place with RL33, the more I like it. That said, the more I play with it, the more I am impressed with it in the smaller caliber rounds such as my 300 AX and 7mm AM where it shows even better performance gains.

I have tested some 338 AX rifles(very similar to your 338 Lapua AI) which showed nearly a 100 fps advantage over top loads with Retumbo but on average, looking over results of roughly 30 rifles in this chambering since I have started using RL33, I would say the average increased velocity will be in the 60-70 fps range most of the time, certainly significant performance gains.

Need a bit more powder to do it but that just increases load density. I have found that I prefer RL33 in rifles with very long throats. It works great in both but its a bulky powder and works best with a bit more case capacity. Have found that final velocity results comparing a short throat and long throated 338 AX are not all that different, just that the shorter throat length has a higher load density and a bit more powder crunching then I like to see when seating bullets.

The nice thing I have found in my 7mm AM is that I can match my Retumbo loads with the 180 gr berger Hybrid target bullet at 3400 fps but do so with significantly lower pressure signs on the case. With the retumbo load, I can get this 3400 fps in 28" barrel lengths or longer pretty easily but you will see a slight ejector ring on the case head. With the RL33 loads, I can get the exact same 3400 fps and no ejector ring on case head. I could get more but 3400 fps with a berger is plenty fast, in fact asking a lot from that bullet with impacts inside 400 yards anyway!!!

Great testing and report, thanks for sharing your data!!! I have always said that RL33 seemed to do everything that N570 will do but with what seems to be less bore heat.
I was researching rl33 and found this thread. There is lots of good info and testing documented but it went quite with no updates on the final conclusions for rl33.

Is there any updates on cleaning intervals, performance, temp stability, barrel life?Kirby did you end up going away from rl33? I was taking a look at your web site and noticed rl33 wasn't listed as a preferred powder for any cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.