Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman Hunting Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had quite an amazing weekend hunting with the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman. We took a Bison and two nice antelope bucks all with one shot kills. That is about what we have come to expect with the accuracy of this rifle. If you can hold it steady the rifle will do it's job!

My son is in a computer science program at college that is very difficult and requires quite a bit of study and not much play time. He had a big calculus test scheduled for Monday so basically we had one day to get a bison and an antelope. He said that he would push it into Sunday morning if he had to but had rather not if at all possible because he needed all day to study Sunday. That is severely testing his guide.

We decided in the limited time he would take the first buck and bull we found to try and make it happen in one day. We found a really nice colored young Bison bull first about 3/4 of a mile from us. He had a very pretty coat and the primary thing was he wanted a pretty rug so we decided to go after him. There was a creek drainage that allowed us to approach to what appeared to be 150 yards or so. With big bison you get as close as you can for a perfect shot.

As we were stalking up the drainage and getting into final position three cows and a calf surprised us stepping into the drainage from behind a bench about 75 yards from us. The wind was angling toward them and we didn't want a blown stalk. We ranged the bull feeding at 289 yards and my son said "I can take him easy from here with this rifle". He folded down the bipod while I spotted. The bison was standing broadside and he hit him dead center up and down and through the back portion of the shoulder. The bison jumped straight up at the hit and started to run but couldn't. He stopped and wobbled before toppling over. The bullet had centered through both lungs and did it's job quickly and cleanly. My son was jubilant with his first ever bison and making such a perfect shot and clean kill.

We were in a rush to get the bison dressed quickly in the near 90 degree heat plus thinking about having to get this guy to the butcher with enough time to get over to the antelope hunting area before dark. We snapped some quick pictures and upon reviewing them my son was sick he forgot to hold that beautiful rifle up in the picture. We were very excited and in a rush and just flat out forgot. We got him loaded and to the meat processor in Jackson then headed out on a four hour journey to the antelope area.

My son's bison. The load we used was 96 grains Retumbo pushing a 180 grain bullet 3460 fps.

hunting 021.jpg

hunting 028.jpg

Now we are speeding off to the unit where we both had antelope tags. My son made us sandwiches in the suburban as I drove trying to get us there with enough time to spot a buck before dark. We got to the area I wanted to hunt with an hour and a half to hunt. After thirty minutes of glassing I spotted a buck and eight does grazing about a mile from us. I marked a spot on a rimrock just above where they fed over a little hill. We jogged as hard as we could to cover the mile through the prickly pear cactus infested desert while hoping not to step on one of the many prarie rattlers out there.

We finally made it to the rimrock and peaked over gassed from the long run. Eight does were feeding about 500 yards below the rimrock but no buck was with them. My son's heart sank because he knew this was his only stalk opportunity before dark and chance for a buck. Studying Calculus was on the agenda for Sunday. We settled down a minute to catch our breath and think about what to do next. I peaked back over the rimrock a little further risking being spotted. I quickly jumped back down under the rimrock to excitedly tell my son the buck is right there under us maybe 100 yards. He was ecstatic with joy. The first look we were hunkered down not wanting to be seen and could not see immediately below us where the buck was.

My son folded down the bipod for the second time Saturday and got the crosshairs settled on the buck. He was feeding straight away from us and would not offer anything but the classic Texas heart shot. Antelope meat is some of the best and we didn't want to do that. We watched him slowly feed/walk to 293 yards as it continued to get darker. At that point I decided to take drastic action.

I told my son to get on him and be ready to shoot quick. He said "I am on him dad". The rifle is zeroed for 300 yards so that was perfect. I tossed a rock to the side of our position to get his attention so he wouldn't look directly at us. The rock hit in some other rocks and made just enough noise to get his attention. He turned around quartering towards us upon hearing the rock and my son was ready. There was an immediate shot as the buck turned into position and the antelope went down. My son was so excited running down to the buck. He was singing and so excited he wasn't much help with the animal but that was OK, dad was just as happy for him.

A bison and a buck antelope in one day in big wyoming.

My son's antelope. You can tell he is a happy camper. After dressing the animal we made it to a nice restaraunt for supper to top off an amazing but tiring day. It was five minutes before they closed at 9 pm. We didn't ask why they seated us so far from everyone else in the place.

You can see the rock mound behind him where he shot from.

hunting 047.jpg

Thanks for the write up LTLR, I've been waiting for that! Make sure you tell your son congrats from LRH, that is good shoot on a LONG day of hunting. Exceptional day of hunting for both of you with a Bison & Antelope in one day. VERY cool...

gun)

Now my son is back at college happily studying calculus "not" and I am back in the desert spending the night awaiting a big antelope day Sunday. I now have plenty of time to find an antelope for myself. I can hunt all the way until lunch before I have to make the long drive back home and get ready for elk hunting. A full half day, wow, and it was quite a half day.

I glassed all morning for a good looking buck to try for. I saw quite a few that I passed on. I was just leaving a buck that I passed on when a nice gentleman who had camped beside me came up on his four wheeler and asked if I had seen any. I said there is one bedded right over there with some does but not quite as big as I am looking for. He looked over and thought the buck would taste just fine. The problem was there was no way he was comfortable shooting him at nearly 600 yards with his factory rifle. He had seen the beautiful Mcmillan custom I was carrying before we left for hunting that morning. He asked if he thought my rifle would make the shot. I told him if he could hold it steady and slowly squeeze the trigger he could kill that antelope. He had never shot anything or at anything that far before.

I coached him and he got into position for the shot. He was very careful and taking his time since the buck was bedded. I had all confidence as careful as he was and the questions he was asking he would make the shot. I ranged him at 591 yards and set the nightforce for a dead on hold at that range. I set a sand bag under the rear of the stock to make him more comfortable with the shot and the bipod steadied the fore end. He squeezed off the shot as I spotted and the antelope's head just fell over. The buck never moved out of his bed. He made a perfect high shoulder hit on an antelope at 591 yards with his first ever long range shot.

I have never seen a grown gray-haired man so excited. He was talking so fast I could hardly understand him but it was all about the accuracy of the rifle and couldn't believe he had just made that shot. Also quite a few thank you's thrown in there for finding him a buck and letting him borrow a top notch custom rifle to make the shot. He absolutely couldn't believe what he had just done. The first long range shot he had ever seen and he was the one who made it!

Now for the rest of the story of this amazing hunting weekend. It just kept getting better. The buck the old gentleman had just taken was bedded in a very rugged area of broken ridges and brush where antelope go to evade hunting pressure and hide from hunters.

As we walked up to his buck and took the first picture a flash of movement caught my eye on the next ridge beyond. His buck was bedded right on top of a little hill so he could see all in every direction. When we topped that hill and could see over the other side a big buck was walking up the next ridge. After taking the one picture I spotted the big buck and immediately started getting the rifle ready for a shot. I ranged him at a little over 500 yards and just as I got on him for the shot he topped out over the next hill. I said I am going after him and took off running to where the buck had just topped out.

When I reached that spot and peaked over there was just an immense vista of sprawling desert opened up on the other side. It was all broken into little wrinkles and I didn't think I had a chance of ever seeing him again. I sat there for about thirty minutes until it was about time for me to help the older man and then head for home. On the last sweep of my glasses I saw an antelope topping out from a little wrinkle over 500 yards from me. It was the big buck I was looking for. This time I was ready and quickly ranged him for the shot. I settled the nightforce on him and when I got the broadside look I wanted I fired. We love antelope meat and I don't like the high shoulder shot because of all the meat it ruins so I aim for the skinny ribs behind the shoulder.

The antelope took off like a bolt of lightning when I shot. He ran over the ridge and out of sight. I was confident I got him but no way to be sure so you can imagine the tension. I ran over to where he was and there was blood everywhere. I looked over the ridge and he had travelled only 50 or so yards and was lying right next to a little two track road we could get to. I dressed him and went back to help the older gentleman with his. We packed his back to his four wheeler and went after mine. I had taken mine right through both lungs where I had aimed. That is why he bolted the way he did. Classic reaction to a double lung hit.

Last edited:
You lucky dog :D the story about the older gent is expecially entertaining. Congrats (again :rolleyes:) & post a pic of your buck for us.

t

The one picture I snapped of the older gentleman's buck and a shot of my buck.

The light weight and easy handling of this rifle makes it a pleasure to hunt with. It is light enough to hike all day and handles so easy when I am getting ready for a shot. The action has remained slick as a button from Alaska to the dry dusty heat of the antelope desert. The ergonomics of the stock and slick handling light weight make it a top notch easy handling and accurate long range rifle. Having the one shot long range hunting capability in a rifle this light is a credit to the craftmanship of the rifle.

hunting 061.jpg

hunting 054.jpg

I had an opportunity to put my mcmillan knife set to work this weekend. This is the sharpest knife set I have ever used. From caping to skinning to cutting the meat this is an elite knife set. I was amazed how they continued to hold an edge through all the work this weekend. They are as sharp now as before the weekend hunts.

The new blade technology put into these knives makes for unbelievable sharpness that lasts. With my old standard knives I put an edge on them and then have to touch them up a couple times with each animal. I did all the animals this weekend and they are still razor sharp with no touch up. The instructions say do not touch them to a stone. They should last an entire hunting season on one sharpenning and then send them back to the factory for a resharpenning. After this weekend I have no reason to doubt that. Warning, if they touch your skin they will cut you they are so sharp. A warning that comes with the knives is that they must be kept in the sheath provided with the knives. They will cut through a standard sheath and can cause serious injury to the person wearing it.

They are just beautiful knives also. The quality of the craftmanship is excellent. My son and i gave them a close inspection when we recieved them and were amazed at the attention to detail of these knives. They are very well made. Here are a couple pictures.

hunting 018.jpg

hunting 019.jpg

Congrats to you and your son on some fine trophies. Now did you print out a drop chart for that rifle and elevation? Or did you have a handheld ballistics calculator that you entered in all the conditions before the shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.