Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman Hunting Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Time Long Ranger

I began testing the Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman long range hunting rifle chambered in 300 EOL Mag (300 RUM) on a tough tundra hunt for barren ground caribou. This is always a demanding hunt on a rifle because of the extreme weather conditions from continuous rain to snow. Also the tundra mucky muck is always splashing on the rifle from wading through ankle deep water regularly. For those of you who haven't experienced mucky muck this is a combination of detritus (various debris), mud, water, moss, algae, lichens, various decaying matter, caribou and moose poop, along with various other things all of which are not good for a rifle and can clog up an action.

This can be a severe test for a rifle concerning corrosion and functional ability under harsh conditions. If a rifle does not have a good weather coating it will rust and corrode. The action can clog from mucky muck if it does not have a good design for working while enduring heavy debris.

After the hunt I cleaned the rifle well and it is as new again with no visible rust or sign of any contamination from being in torrential rain for three days and splashed muck regularly. The proprietary weather coating Mcmillan puts on these rifles protected the rifle well through all the elements. The slickest action I have ever shot worked smooth throughout the hunt. The grooved bolt and action design was able to shed heavy debris splashed on from the muck and work perfectly.

We took four very nice trophy bulls in four days on four shots. Mine was the longest at just under 800 yards. The shortest was 360 yards. The extreme accuracy of this rifle enabled all the hunters to place the bullets exactly where they wanted for quick humane kills.

I am extremely pleased with the overall workmanship of the rifle after this first hunt. I am very excited to get this rifle on more adventures in the near future. Antelope is next with Buffalo coming up in a couple weeks. Going from the cold ,wet and rainy tundra to 100 degree hot dusty antelope hills will be quite a change for the rifle. I will continue to add to this thread as the hunts take place.

The bullet I used on this hunt was the 200 grain Cutting Edge bullet. The load was 92 grains Retumbo at 3266 fps. The bullet performed well with two caribou going straight down at the shot and two only taking two, three steps before going down traveling less than five yards. Two were taken through both shoulders and two were hit with quartering shots that hit one shoulder quartering through the chest area. For the antelope hunt I will be using the 208 grain Hornady Amax bullet which has been shooting exceptionally well at long range targets during testing and showing a BC near .66.

The bull with the velvet missing on top was a huge old bull and an exceptional trophy. I shot him just before dark and field dressed him knowing he would be fine in the cold weather until the next day. A family of marrauding wolverines found him that night. They chewed the top points and main beams off stripping the velvet from the top portion of the rack. He was an incredible trophy with the tall top points and long main beams. Unfortunately it was to dark to get pictures when I shot him and now all there is to show are the chewed up antlers in this picture.

2012caribou 003.jpg

2012caribou 008.jpg

Last edited:
Nice LTLR! Thanks for the story and the ongoing reviews of the McMillan EOL Rifle. Those look like dandy bulls, though I wouldnt know a good one from a bad one. Its too bad you couldnt get onto those wolves.

Looks like the "unexpandable monolithics" did just fine... at all ranges! Take that CE haters!:D

Nice job and thanks for the great write up.

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question, but what cartridge is the rifle chambered in? given the bullet weights and velocities, I assume 300RUM - yes?

Thanks, It is the 300 RUM. It is stamped 300 EOL Mag because of the special throat designed to shoot the 210 Berger bullet seated at the lands and feed through the action. I will be putting up pictures of the other bulls when I get them and adding content. I just wanted to get the thread started while I had a minute. The 200 grain Cutting Edge bullets performed well and all exited the animals so I still have no recovered bullets. Same as the Barnes as I have no recovered bullets from numerous animals taken with Barnes. Both share one good thing. Never lost an animal with either. The two shot through both shoulders went down instantly. The two hit through one shoulder and angling through the chest both staggered a couple steps before falling.

Congrats on the hunt and thanks again for another good write up.

As for "trophy value"... .

To me what always makes for the best trophy is uniqueness. Just how many guys do you know that have a rack like that which has been gnawed on by a family of wolverines????

The trophy value went up considerably in my book as a result.

Congrats again.

Nice write up and outstanding animals taken. What does the rifle look like and what are the spec's?

LTLR, I found a previous post of yours in 2011 giving the deatails and photo's of your rifle. That sure is one nice looking rifle!!!

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Breathable gore tex raingear is good up there. Typically the most expensive lightweight breathable raingear is the best. I have used my cheap fleece for years because it is so light, breathable and dries very quick. I keep a parka in my pack for downpours. It is not as good as the new stuff but has worked for years. I will get a picture of the rifle up on this thread. Just got in to big a hurry. I should have done that.

Here are a couple more pictures from the trip. Deb with her bull and Terry backpacking his out. Deb's bull was really nice with those huge double shovel bottoms and long top tines. She dropped it instantly with one shot at 360 yards. I will post pictures as they get them to me.

I am setting my drops this week with the 208 Amax for the antelope hunts. I have two tags that started Aug 15 and haven't got out there yet so hope to do that soon.

debcaribou.jpg

terrycaribou.jpg

I do not know how to post a link but the other threads where I posted pictures and info on the rifle are listed at the bottom of the page. The range test and rifle report threads are listed with some good info.

Here are a couple rifle pictures I promised. We had a great time shooting the rifle last weekend setting drops for upcoming hunts. Leaving today for Buffalo and antelope. We set ten two liter bottles full of water at various ranges then from one location ranged and shot each one. I gave my son ten bullets for the ten jugs. He dead centered every one. The rifle is locked in and so is he. He is very excited to take his buffalo and then chase antelope. Should be a fun weekend.

McMillan 024.jpg

McMillan 017.jpg

LTLR, i'm excited to see the post hunt photos of a buff & antelope. Great shooting on your son's part too. Enjoy the hunt & best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.