Range Test Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman

It has a vias brake and a recoil reducer in the stock. Recoil is trivial even with the heavy 210's.

I bet your weather is better than mine. Are you going to try spring bear up there this year?

It has a vias brake and a recoil reducer in the stock. Recoil is trivial even with the heavy 210's.

I bet your weather is better than mine. Are you going to try spring bear up there this year?

I bet you're right! I am sitting in central AZ right now soaking up the sun!!

Not sure about the bears yet. Maybe more so grizzly than blackie.

M

McMillan 019.jpg

McMillan 014.jpg

McMillan 018.jpg

These are some targets I shot this morning. I could not get to my long range area because the melting snow made it to muddy. It is sunshine and 60 today so maybe it will dry out by tomorrow and I will try again at testing this rifle at 800-1000 yards

The first target is comparing my best loads of Retumbo and H-1000 at 100 yards. The Retumbo shot .286" and the H-1000 shot .395 inches. Both were max loads with the info on the target by the groups.

The second and third targets was comparing the two loads at 500 yards. The Retumbo load was my best yet at 500 yards with this rifle. It shot a very impressive 1.344" at 500 yards. The H-1000 load shot 2.787" at the 500 yard target. The load info is on the target.

Again this shows the accuracy of the rifle with several different powders and bullets. Everything has shot well in the rifle to this point and it is easily capable of long range kills. Some loads shoot better than others but all have shot well. I am anxious to get that retumbo load out to 800-1000 yards and see what happens. This makes several exceptional groups I have shot with it at close range. So far Retumbo and WC-860 have been the best performers however the 860 is very temperature sensitive and now I am focusing on the extreme powders. Basically I just included some other powders and bullets to show how the rifle performed with a variety of loads.

All my groups are three shot groups because I am a hunter testing a hunting rifle and want to know primarily what my first three shots out of the barrel are going to look like. Beyond that it really doesn't matter in most hunting situations.

I forgot to say the H-1000 load is with the old H-1000. I just wanted the new guys to know there is a difference with the new H-1000 of about three grains with load data. So do not try this load with the new powder. I would start three or so grains lower.

McMillan 032.jpg

McMillan 036.jpg

McMillan 030.jpg

What a beautiful day to shoot. Mid 40's, no humidity or mirage, calm, bright and clear. I shot the Mcmillan EOL Outsdoorsman at 1000, 1100 and 1261 yards today to try and push it to the extreme for a 7.75 pound rifle. Previously I had only shot it to just over 900 yards. The load was the same for all groups. 210 berger, 92 grains retumbo, federal 215 match primer, 3.76" oal with a velocity average of 3174 fps which I think is outstanding in a 26" barrel. A testament to the Schneider polygon twist barrel used on this rifle. I thought the groups were very good for a rifle of this weight. At the 1000 yard target it shot a 6.962" group, at 1100 yards a 9.213" group and at 1261 yards a 9.873" group. I guess I didn't do my part very well at the 1100 yard target. For the 1261 yrad group I drove as far as I could away from the target and stopped just before I was losing sight of it over a hill. I ranged and shot it as if in a hunting situation. Had it been an elk I would have killed it with either of the three shots.

These groups out of a 7.75 pound rifle are a testament to the quality and dedication Mcmillan has shown to produce a rifle with this capability. I hunt all over North America every year spending thousands of dollars doing so. I continuously search for rifles capable of one shot kills to 1000 yards and beyond that are light enough to carry all day hunting in rough terrain. It takes a special custom rifle to perform this task. It is certainly a credit to Mcmillan to produce a rifle this light with this kind of precision accuracy. It is obvious from these groups that this rifle is capable of one shot kills on deer size animals to 1261 yards assuming the scope is dialed in properly. That is amazing in a 7.75 pound hunting rifle.

Last edited:
That stick is shooting great, and with it and it seems like some other rounds recent, you have been having good luck w/retumbo. Thanks for the good posts

I missed this when originally posted, but the stock does not have a recoil reducer in it. The design, material and construction may make if feel like it does, but it does not.

LTLR,
man I'm glad I didn't miss this thread. It has been an amazing reading and pretty exiting.
You're right, it does take a special weapon that light to shoot that well, but it does also
take a special man behind the rig to complement it. I'm proud of you both, the shooter
and the Mcmillan EOL rifle.

Thank you! thank your for doing this. I for one I'm very thank full. I do realize all the work
time and money you have put into it. Thank You!

Is your wife still talking to you? :D

By now that great rifle is pretty much used and well used. Perhaps you can get a good deal
on it! Just saying... :)

I missed this when originally posted, but the stock does not have a recoil reducer in it. The design, material and construction may make if feel like it does, but it does not.

Can you tell us a bit more about the recoil reducer? How much weight does it add? How does it change the recoil? Does it work better on magnum cartridges than say standard cartridges?

Thanks,

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.