Bill & Lerch's "APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag"

Re: Bill & Lerch\'s \"APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag\"

Lerch,

I thought I mentioned it would be louder then you expected forming cases. That is a funny mental image however. Thanks for making my day!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any calls from the local police yet..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Any calls from the local police yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not today. They have come out and told us to knock it off before though!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Lerch,

I thought I mentioned it would be louder then you expected forming cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i remember ya saying that, but i thought you was just kiddin man!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You all didnt really think that MONSTER was gonna sound like a pop-whistle did ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Why did you have the brake inside? do we need to take em off for fireforming?

We didnt want any of the TP to get caught up in the ports on the brake.

No he wasn't just kidding. Nor was he kidding about cleaning the barrel. It gets really dirty. Nor was he kidding about the barrel getting hot. Also after firing look down in each case for cornmeal stuck to the shoulder.

Lerch,

[ QUOTE ]
As we trotted inside to not look incriminating I saw the cat that was sleeping under dads truck beating feet for the next county and I saw BJ's little legs pushing as hard as they could to carry him and the 60lb gun inside, i had the muzzle break

[/ QUOTE ]

I have really been laughing!!! man, the way you put it
all together is good, I almost felt like I was there...
LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lerch,

I thought I mentioned it would be louder then you expected forming cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, i remember ya saying that, but i thought you was just kiddin man!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Man! Lerch, if I have a heart attack it'll be your fault!
I've really been laughing!

[ QUOTE ]
BY the way, whats that monster project of yours going to be chambered in???

[/ QUOTE ]

.375-408 improved. THink that's big enough?

[ QUOTE ]
3" diameter barrel, ****!!! Buildin a 100 pounder are ya!!! I would recommend a bedding block for that one!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to talk to you about this. I am still in the design stage and would like to get your feelings on doing a half-bed block like yours and milling it directly into the top deck of the rail. The barrel would hang out in the open air with nothing to impede the cooling but it would only be supported by the lower block and the receiver.

Perhaps we should start a new thread on this or a PM so as to not hijack this thread?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are over blowing the abrasive qualities of corn meal to prove your point

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I don't do that. I merely stated what I have seen on the BR circuit where guys fireform with cream o wheat all the time for their 6ppc's. Some fire it down their comp barrel and others do not. I also read an article very much against it ahwile back and they had the pictures and science to back it up. All I know is that rollcage sure is smmmoooooth. Might have to find a pic of it....

Ahh, maybe I won't bother. Your mind was made up long before the fedex guy ever broke his back bringing you your package so it wouldn't do any good. Shooting breakfast down a barrel just ain't for me. I'd rather eat it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But I wish you good luck with your project anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I hope you're not ****ed at me still for recommending a better bench awhile back. You can see that was good advice now with the weight of that big monster you got there!

Saw it done with a 6" diameter barrel for short range and it was deadly accurate. Was in an early issue of Varmint Hunter I believe. I will try and find some pictures if I get time.

It was custom from the ground up. Whole thing built in house from aliminum and stainless steel. Barrel was made specifically for the project and turned out weighing something like 50 lbs all by itself. I thought, ****, I gotta have me one of those!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I don't need a 6" diameter barrel but 3 or 4 would be fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GG,

Shoot me an e-mail or start a new thread and we can talk it over.

The 375-408 Imp will be a great round. I have a 375 AM reamer coming if you want to save on reamer cost. Basically the same thing but my shoulder is moved forward more for a longer body length.

Only limiting factor now, bullets!!! Richard has some on the way but they are a ways out. There will also be an aluminum tipped Wildcat ULD RBBT as well. Imagine a 300 gr 375 bullet with a BC in the .95 range. Puts a tear in ones eye!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.