Allen Mag Shooters Group

Im gonna bring this one back from the dead. I am hopefully going to receive my 270 allen magnum from kirby early 2016 and I have brass (300 rum) norma, But can not find any detailed info on how to turn it into 270 allen magnum I Have the dies already they are forester and don't appear to be a bushing style die. Do I just lube the 300 up and give it a go or what? Could someone please give a detailed post on this?

And one other thing why did this thread drop off the face of the earth did you guys all shoot up your barrels.:D

I am really happy with my 7mm AM. Last critter taken was a cold bore shot at a coyote, 867 yds away. It didn't go far at all. :D

I can't help you on forming the brass, I sent 200 rounds of Lapua Brass to Kirby when he built the gun for me and I had him fireform it. I figured that it was all the less wear and tear on my barrel.

Im gonna bring this one back from the dead. I am hopefully going to receive my 270 allen magnum from kirby early 2016 and I have brass (300 rum) norma, But can not find any detailed info on how to turn it into 270 allen magnum I Have the dies already they are forester and don't appear to be a bushing style die. Do I just lube the 300 up and give it a go or what? Could someone please give a detailed post on this?

And one other thing why did this thread drop off the face of the earth did you guys all shoot up your barrels.:D

My process:

I resize 300 & 7mm Ultra cases.

Lube with a good lube. Too much lube will dent the shoulder.

The first time through the die with the larger caliber cases leave a slight ring ahead of the shoulder. A dime thickness is a bit much and a piece of paper thickness is too little. Maybe a loosely fit business card between in ram and the die would be decent.

Nevertheless leave a ring for the case to "jam" against when fire forming.

The Cornmeal/cream of wheat process works well though you get a craving for syrup and a glass of cold milk after a bit...

IIRC 20 grains of Unique, fill to base of neck with cornmeal/COW and one square of TP tucked in the case mouth and fire away.

Go slow as your barrel will get hot.

After running through 2 barrels, Lilja 8 twist, 3 groove in around 1900 rounds I'd recommend not loading hot enough to get "the click" when opening the bolt. Mine were always hotter than that.

Get her tuned, drops figured and shoot her only enough to get very confident in what she'll do. And she'll do a lot. A whole lot!

She was made for hunting not for busting rocks an blowing small weeds out of the ground at very long distances. I learn'd that the hard way.

She doesn't come into her own until bullet weight reaches the 165 - 170 grain region.

By the time Marshall's, CEB and Dale Jensen's bullets arrived on the scene both my barrels were in the barrel bucket.

If you ever wrinkle the case below the shoulder you're pushing the shoulder back too far. This seems to be a critical setting. Took a bit for me to get it right.

Keep us posted on how you're doing with the little girl. It's gonna be fun for sure...

Why the thread died? One reason is that with Kirby's builds there simply isn't any fiddling around. The loads he developed and publishes simply work. With my 375 Allen I received several already Kirby loaded rounds. I simply duplicated those loads got my less than 1/2 MOA consistency worked up the drops and was done.

There wasn't anything left to do except brag and I hate a bragger. Thus nothing to post.:D

That's pretty much, in my mind, why the thread died.

I'd rebarrel to another 270 AM but the 375 AM is as fast/flat/accurate and darn'd if it isn't just a bit more fun to shoot.:D

Hope this helps.

Roy

PS: I have 2 sets of dies for the 270 AM. One is Forester the other I believe is Redding. They are slightly different. The seating dies make no difference but the sizing dies are slightly different in neck dimension. One sizing die was such that with one kind of brass there was "no" next tension. Thus I used one die for one kind of brass and the other for other brass. IIRC the Remmy brass functioned well and Nosler brass was the pits all the way around (way too soft for the pressure needed to get 270 AM performance.)

If you think you could use them I'd make it really easy on ya.

thanks roy I will give that a go and see what I come up with I have a bunch of the 195 and 165 wildcats ready to be slung down range.

So I got some imperial sizing wax and lubed a case up ran it thru the die and it is down to 270 and seems like it has plenty of neck tension but not a hundred percent on the ring I can just feel it in the neck shoulder area I think its just about right.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.