Bill & Lerch's "APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag"

Re: Bill & Lerch\'s \"APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag\"

Lerch...how many $$ was it?

I got about 350 rounds through my 338-408 (338 snipe-tac) and was wanting to take a look see. It still prints .200" groups at 100yds.

I got some of the "Boron" coated 300MK bullets in today, gonna give them the test next week, if the weather ever clears up. They are Slick! I will post the results later.

Dave

BE careful when running that bore scope down the bore. ITs easy to get it hitting the bore at an angle in the larger bores and those stainless steel edged WILL scratch a barrel easily.

Not to spook you. just be aware of it and be careful when you use it.

I had a customer that had a bore scope, he checked his 22-250 after every cleaning which was nearly weekly. Not because the rifle needed it, but because the guy was just flat anal.

He came in all the time saying how easily his bore cleaned up and how much fun the new bore scope was. Then after a while he came in saying that his rifle just did not shoot anymore so he brought it in. He had certainly cleaned the bore well, there was no copper or carbon fouling but there were severel scratches on the lands from excessive careless use of the borescope. I pointed out the problem, we fitted a new barrel and I told him to sell his borescope as it was clear he knew how to clean a barrels bore!!!

If your carefull, you can put a wrap of electical tape around the end of the scope. You just have to cut out for the lense opening. This will help prevent scratching the bore.

Again, do not mean to scare you from using it. They are great tools. Just be mindful when you run it into the bore that it does not bind up in the bore.

I even like to use those small rubber O-rings that come with the foul out barrel cleaner kits to put around the scope rod just to keep it from contacting the bore in any way really. Works great in any bore that will fit into.

Sounds like you got a good trade on that ruger. With copper prices going through the roof, you can add 10% to the rifle and sell if for a profit just with the increased copper value!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Bullets should be in the air by the end of the week and pics will follow

[/ QUOTE ]
Now thats what I'm talking 'bout.

BTW I gott'a say that it was only my interest in this project gun that made me read every word of the discussion between two of our esteemed members. Very educational. I love the fact that I will never learn everything about this long range game. Thanks Kirby and Jim for landing that discussion on all fours. I was there when that MOAG warmed up in the Idaho sun and watching the rounds hit less than 5" low at 2300 yards will be a story I tell for years.

Now I'm ready for Bill & Lerches excelent adventure to take flight. I'm jonesin' for snapshots of scopes and tables and guns and bullets and range finders and targets and distant things that go "BEEEENNNNNNGGGGG when you hit them and smiles when the shooters point at the holes they make in mattress boxes standing in the next county.

whip.gif
MEEOOWWWWW!!!
Now hit them targets like they owe you money.

Unlike Kirby, I absolutely DO mean to scare you about the scratched barrels from using a borescope. It happened to me with a Hawkeye. In my opinion, it will be very, very easy to scratch a barrel if you are not careful.

[ QUOTE ]
I got some of the "Boron" coated 300MK bullets in today, gonna give them the test next week, if the weather ever clears up. They are Slick! I will post the results later

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the stuff that Tubb is using now in place of moly????? i heard it is slicker than greased owl $h!t

We bought our borescope from midway

Well keep our eyes on her, i will wrap some little electrical tape strips around it to kinda act like a buffer.

Why would they not make the end of that out of brass or something and prevent the whole problem????

take it easy
steve

I guess I have never seen the end of a borescope up close. Is there a reason why the end has to be so sharp? Can't the owner put a microscopic radius or chamfer on the end so it wont carve the bore? What about a wrap or two with electrical tape? Would doing this affect the wee bitty lens at the end of the scope? If they are charging so much for this little tool I would figure they should have had this problem solved.

look at the time on our posts. we were thinking the same thing. I still want to know why this tool doesn't come from the factory with a bore safe tip of some sort.

Lerch,

Yes they were coated by D. Tubb

Yea they are slick! White Boron is supose to be an inert compound.

Dave

Most borescopes are for the medical or aviation world. we are only using what is out there for our needs

d-a

d-a

You should have posted that under the "Humor" section. Can you imagine if a borescope will scratch up a stainless steel barrel what it would do to a colon in the hands of a medical student?

[ QUOTE ]
d-a

You should have posted that under the "Humor" section. Can you imagine if a borescope will scratch up a stainless steel barrel what it would do to a colon in the hands of a medical student?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was there about a year ago. Surgeon said he'd be careful on the turns. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif After it was over I asked the med student if the Doc in fact was. She gave me the dumbest look I've seen in awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

HA HA HA HA HA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm just wonderin is she was dumb struck cause the doc didnt take it easy on the corners or if it was because of what she had been staring at for the last hour!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.