Idaho legal 338 Allen Mag testing

Corn meal method is simple and very old way of doing it. Depending on the size of your case your forming, 300mag sized cases use around 20grns of a fast burning powder, larger cases just increase the amount, the 408 sized cases use up to 50grns. I use Unique in the reg sized cases and the large ones i use 4198, just because i have some old powder laying around. Prep the cases and prime them, put in the powder, on top of the powder fill the case full with corn meal. Make a small wad of tissue paper and press it into the neck to hold all the contents. Fire the case in your rifle with the muzzel brake REMOVED. I say clean out the residue in the bbl after 5 rounds, the burnt cornmeal tends to get everywhere. Use a bore guide when cleaning to keep the stuff out of your trigger. The shots are loud so were hearing protectors. No recoil. Saves on barrel life and is easier on the brass if your doing a major form. The Snipe-tac and 338AM are major forms, the brass is heavy. They will only form about 90-95% However they will shoot the same as fired cases. P.O. Ackley used this method with most of his wildcats.

Dave

Thanks Kirby!

Your 338 Allen Mag makes my 338 RUM look......well small!
Awesome cartridge Kirby.

JD338

shawn like to hear more on DE custom 5 port slab brake and photos. 338-allen mag same recoil as 338 edge with new 5 port brake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AMBREAK1.JPG

AMBREAK2.JPG

Here are a couple photos of the break. The slots are just slots the photo angle makes them look shark toothed, but they are just slots. It is very effective on the large AM.

Do not have a 338 AM , but would love to have one. What I can find for information on this cartridge! It is based on the 408 cheytec case.

Hope that helps?gun)

I am looking at building a 338 snipetac just wanted to know what the best barrel profile to go with I want to keep it as light as possible but maintain accuracy I will go for 32 inch any info would much appreciated

Question for Shawn or Kirby. If he is using 142 gr for this case. Well is this on a 375 Chey tec case. Because the snipe -tac takes about 138-145 at the most for top end loads H50bmg . So I hope this not on a 338 Laupa case.

My 7mm Allen mag. is a 338 Laupa necked down and improved. My one load is 112- 115 gr. of US869. 160 gr Acubonds

Just want to be clear on this. Because that becuse new members may want to know this .

Yeah 338 fans r growing fast. I know next project may be a 338 Norma mag long range hand gun.

Just want to be clear on your loads Shawn.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.