Idaho legal 338 Allen Mag testing

Shawn or Kirby,

Any chance of posting a picture of the 338 Allan Mag along side the 338 Edge for a comparison.
Thanks,

JD338

Come on Shawn were are the pictures? This is more than I can take, I need pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Expect a phone call by the way.

You and Kirby are killing me...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

I'll be getting it back from the customer who is fire forming all of his brass right now. I hope to have pics up by the end of the week or first of next.

Shawn,
The lighter versions have ABS barrels, mine does not. It has a Lawton 33" barrel. I put large flutes in it, Its 1.350 at the breech for 3.5" then steps down to 1.150 and straight tapers to the muzzel .905 it has a stainless three port brake added on. There are a few things that i could do to remove a little more weight, first put on a Ti brake, use a 100% carbon stock, this one is carbon, Kevlar and glass with gel coat. I just got in some 100% carbon stocks that have no gel coat, all natural. this one weighs 20 oz. It will be going on a super light 338 snipe-tac with ABS barrel and Ti receiver. It will have a Ti brake as well.
I think that lot of weight can be reduced in most rifles by what stock you use and what they are made of. Gel coating a stock adds 6-8 ounces to the weight. Natural Carbon has a great look when finished clear.

I just sent out one to Nevada that was identical to my personal rifle only with the 10" action, repeater, IOR scope, 32" barrel. 15# The barrel was a little heavier than my rifle, Mike Rock 5R 1.400 breech, had what they called a "Navy Taper" during 1000yd testing it fired a 6" group with the 300MK. The 338AM and My 338 Snipe-Tac are true long range rifles, they pack a punch! But the recoil is not that bad if propperly braked. Most confirm when shooting mine that it kicks similar to a 300win mag with no brake. 8000# at the muzzel is nothing to sneeze at.
Check with Lone Wolf Stocks, he has a special stock that he makes for me, it accepts the 1.600 dia actions, also works with the Lawton receivers.

This cartridge is the most fun i have ever shot, fast,flat and accurate!

My cousin is a big time elk hunter in Wyo. At age 71 he said it is getting harder to tramp through the mountains so he was looking for other options. I told him about my 338 rifle and its long range capabilities. I took it out to him for some testing last summer, he said that "I never thought shooting at 1000yds could be so easy" With never shooting the rifle before, his first 3 shot group was 8" shooting with bi pod - prone. He couldn't wait to get back to show his hunting partner the targets. Upon talking with his wife and many minuets of discussion, she bought one for his B-Day.

Dave

Thanks for the deffinition of the 338 AM. Looks like another rifle to add to my wish list.

JD338,

I do not have pics of the AM next to the Edge but I do have one next to the 338 RUM and and 300 RUM. Obviously the 300 RUM is the same length as the Edge so this give you what your asking to see.

1021338_RUM_300_RUM_338_Allen_Mag-med.jpg

There is a significant difference.

Kirby Allen(50)

Shawn,

Kind of figured that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am waiting for the weather to break to get out and test a mid weight 338 AM for Joecool here on LRH. He has been very patient with me with a couple delays but we are about there if the **** snow would stop. This week for sure.

It is a 30 lb class rifle, I say mid weight because I measure all my 338 AM rifles against little "Black Sunshine"!!! Since this rifle is half the weight of her it is a mid weight rifle.

Our 16 lb class rifles would be referred to as Ultra Lights!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is your customer live fire forming brass or corn meal forming them?

Kirby Allen(50)

He is forming with corn meal at my recommendation. I hope to have the finish work done next week early. The Nightforce scope looks kind of small on it. I hope I can have mine done by spring.

Shawn, maybe you and Fifty can develop a good wolf load when and if we ever get them deslisted. I can't imagine a better 1 mile wolf gun!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.