Bill & Lerch's "APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag"

Re: Bill & Lerch\'s \"APS Xtreme Range 338 Allen Mag\"

Now that is a weapon. There is no such thing as being over-gunned.

[ QUOTE ]
No wondering now why you where looking for a BIG-HEAVY duty bench

[/ QUOTE ]

Think yours can handle it????

Bill and Lerch, make sure to put your new toy on the The Long Range Picture Thread. I just put a post on for you guys to add your new 338 Allen Mag on the post.

Wildcat

I'll get it on there after we get some better pics out in the sunlight.

Good, that beauty needs to be added on to that thread. I just e-mailed Kirby about building my 338 Allen Mag soon. Once again, that is one Beautiful Rifle, and I love the color of the stock!!! looks great.

Jake

WOW - Why did you guys put that little compact scope on that BEAST??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just another day at the office for Kirby Allen. Outstanding work!

Kirby have you been doing any ordering? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

MIKE

Very Sweet!

I guess I'll be dreaming of my 'little 338AM'.

More likely, I'll be laying awake thinking about it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

At 60lbs, yours is about 3 times the one Kirby is making for me!

Nice rig!

Keep us posted on the reloading/fire forming etc.

Don

Bill, Lerch... Please have mercy on me! shoot it
and post it. I just need to read about it. Come on guys!!!
Don't forget the camera!!!

Think yours can handle it????
I wouldnt have offered if I didnt know it would
GET-R-DONE!!!!
1¼"thick plywood 4'x5' with two sets of 2" pipe legs,one set for sittin and one set for standing.

Lerch,

Start with 34.0 gr Unique over a CCI-200 primer, no magnums.

Top off to the top of the case mouth with plain yellow corn meal. Tap the case a few times to settle the corn meal in gentally.

Level corn meal off even with the case mouth and then tap case on the work bench. Cornmeal should settle down to mid neck length or so.

Take 1/4 piece of Toilet paper, roll it up to make a wad and put it in the case mouth. Use a small round rod to slightly compress the TP wad down into the case neck. Do not push it below the case neck.

Wipe off, lube your bolt lugs and shoot.

Watch for the ring of burnt corn meal at the mouth of the case after firing. If you get this all out with the case, you can just keep on forming. If it falls off, just make sure you get it out of the chamber before forming the next round. Not a danger thing, just puts a nice dent in your case!!!

I ususally load up 5 rounds at a time, fireform those and them load up five more. Give the barrel time to cool between strings. Does not get real hot but it will warm up.

You want the case to eject with no force needed at all. Another good thing to check is to see if a formed case will easily rechamber in the rifle. If it is tight at all, your to high in pressure.

You will have a slight radius on the case shoulder which is what you want. Not a big one. If it looks like a Wby case you need a bit more pressure, justa slight one. YOu do not want sharp shoulders, thats to high of pressure as well. You will get the feel for it.

If you need more pressure, add a grain or so, if you need less, drop a grain or so. Rocket science here!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

that sure is a beautiful piece of work guys (all three), can't wait to see what she does.

Just a question, I can't see the end of that big barrel when you are holding it, did you guys cheat and rest it on something out of frame???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wow!! That is big I can tell you pictures don't do it justice you would have to see it in person. I know when I got mine I couldn't believe the size of it and it only has a 35" 1.450 barrel and weighs 30.5 pounds

Looking at the pictures and like always Kirby does excellent work than I got to the pic with the two of you standing next to it that was comic relieve!! All one can say is that is the TALL AND SHORT OF IT…….. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just a question, I can't see the end of that big barrel when you are holding it, did you guys cheat and rest it on something out of frame????

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.