26 Nosler ????

Well I started this thread with tons of expectations, and non of them came through, I did not and will not get a 26 and I can see that I have not and will not miss anything. Cool cartridge but lack of performance for all the Hype they spattered. MEH!
Probably a wise decision.

IMO, like a 7mm RUM, I doubt it lacks "performance".

The marketing point of a 26-Nosler is to have a factory round that is "flat" to 400+ so that the non-handloaders can have what the hand loaders have.

Of course it's not the only way.

sheepaholic

I'm getting 3,291 fps average with the 140 Accubond with 85.5 grains of US869. I do get more velocity with less powder than others it seems. I have room to load hotter as there are no pressure signs and primers show no flattening. However, this velocity is where the load is accurate and being friendly to the brass is a good idea as expensive as it is ($2.64 each). Now that I've figured a few things out about this cartridge I do like it.

My 6.5-300wm shoots 140 Amax's at 3300fps in Winchester brass with 73grs of Retumbo (3230fps in RWS brass with 70grs. This is a hot load in my gun but the brass takes it and I have 7-8 firings on some of my brass). It will shoot even faster with R-33 but it isn't quite as accurate. That's a lot more powder for no gain and way expensive brass. That case should shoot closer to 3400fps (since it's basically just a shortened 6.5STW) but if the brass is weak or it's not accurate then it is what it is.

Ball powder, while it's a necessary evil in overbore cases, is terrible stuff for powder fouling. I have over 100 rounds through my gun since the last time I cleaned it and it's still very accurate. I doubt the same can be said shooting 85grs of ball powder in the 26 Nosler. As a matter of fact the powder fouling would probably be bad enough the accuracy would be gone. I also think a lot of those people that buy factory guns and never clean them are going to end up selling off their 26 Noslers cheap when they stop shooting because the powder fouling got bad enough or they cooked the throat hot lapping rounds through it.

Sheepaholic, did you mis-type on that 2650 velocity?

Double Tap lists 3600 for the 127 grain bullet.

I'm in the same boat as you I have 127gr lrx I'm gonna start at 88 gr of US869 and go up to 95 gr and see how it does

I hope you guys have better luck than me. I couldn't get the 130 bergers to shoot better than 1.5" no matter what powder/charge I tried (retumbo, rl-33, us869). I just received today 500 140 bergers and have 100 142gr matrix and 200 160gr Matrix bullets on order. I'm personally super excited about the 160 gr bullets and hope to find an accurate load with them using us869. I think I will start with 80gr powder and work up. The gun is built on a Pierce titanium, hawk hill 26" 8tw, mcmillan, jewell, nightforce. Best of luck to you gentlemen!

I completed a 6.5 by 375 Ruger before last year's Mule deer season in Texas. Killed two deer with it at close range (120 yards or so) and it was instant results before hitting the ground. The load used a 120 g. Ballistic Tip at 3500 fps (load backed off from well over 3600 fps) and there was no grenade explosion on impact, although there was no exit. It is a Pacnor barrel and I chose one in 11 twist because I am not interested in high sectional density bullets at the cost of flatest possible tragectory to 450 yards. I pass up all longer shots and take 400 yarders only when everything appears perfect. This cartridge enables me to ignore hold over considerations for all practical shots. I put this rifle together before the introduction of the 26 Nosler and would not have bothered if I had known of the Nosler development. However, one advantage of this wildcat is I was able to do a switch barrel wit a 257 Weatherby barrel and both cartridges function through the magazine which probably will not work with the slightly fatter 26 nosler. One disadvantage to the wildcat is making the brass is a real leanring experience but once perfected, it becomes easy. Comparing published load of the 26 Nosler to my results with this wildcat might indicate that I am getting a little more velocity and/or lower pressures that the 26 Nosler because of the difference in twist rate.

I completed a 6.5 by 375 Ruger before last year's Mule deer season in Texas. Killed two deer with it at close range (120 yards or so) and it was instant results before hitting the ground. The load used a 120 g. Ballistic Tip at 3500 fps (load backed off from well over 3600 fps) and there was no grenade explosion on impact, although there was no exit. It is a Pacnor barrel and I chose one in 11 twist because I am not interested in high sectional density bullets at the cost of flatest possible tragectory to 450 yards. I pass up all longer shots and take 400 yarders only when everything appears perfect. This cartridge enables me to ignore hold over considerations for all practical shots. I put this rifle together before the introduction of the 26 Nosler and would not have bothered if I had known of the Nosler development. However, one advantage of this wildcat is I was able to do a switch barrel wit a 257 Weatherby barrel and both cartridges function through the magazine which probably will not work with the slightly fatter 26 nosler. One disadvantage to the wildcat is making the brass is a real leanring experience but once perfected, it becomes easy. Comparing published load of the 26 Nosler to my results with this wildcat might indicate that I am getting a little more velocity and/or lower pressures that the 26 Nosler because of the difference in twist rate.
Just wondering why you went to such a big case if you are not shooting over 400 yards. My 264WM will do that so it seems like a waste. I am pushing a 160gr PPSN at 3261fps.

My 160gr bullet is 6.5 inches high at mid range where your 120gr bullet is 6.6 inches high at mid range when 400 yard zero. At 200 yards I am still at over 3300 ft lbs of energy and you are at 2500 ft lbs of energy. Not putting you down just food for thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.