26 Nosler ????

April Fools or Halloween? If its true its almost to good to be true. I hope "someone in the know" chimes in here!

I saw this yesterday on a different site, but I haven't been able to find anything else about it.

I wonder if the bad press about "overbore" and "barrel burner" and "finicky to load" and "it metric, Americans hate metric" will fall on this fire breather like the 264 Win Mag?
Or will gun writers say that a cartridge with powder capacity more than half its bullet weight is the NEXT BIG THING. Personally, I'm pretty excited for a factory cartridge that could push 160's at an honest 3000+ fps without breaking a sweat. I don't think i'll be first in line but I'll be watching and waiting closely.

Case capacity
264 Win mag 82 grains (max load of retumbo still has room under my 140 berger)
26 Nosler 93 grains

What powders will work? RL 33?

Of course I used QuickDesign and QuickLoad, that's what they are for so put something good like pumpkin pie in your pie hole and don't blag off on QD and QL.

Specs come out dead on if based on a 375 Ruger.

Basing it on a 8x68s (6.5x68) comes up a little short on capacity.

What will the rim size be?
What will the base diameter be?
What was their proof barrel length?

Is it a 404 Jeffery based cartridge like RUMs, WSMs, RSAUMs, Dakota's and RCMs + the 375?

or

Is it really new? Will it go the way of the .284 Winchester and become Nosler only produced firearms then die.

Waiting until Shot Show 2014, well I ain't gonna hold my breath.

If I were in charge of marketing this chambering, I'd get it out there now while there is still time to get some game in the bag with it. Then brag about how good it is at the show. If they don't then all they are able to do is say how good it could be until hunting season 2014. I would not base a new firearms purchase and hunting trip on could be good.

Oh yeah, with California all copper for hunting, expect other states to follow. Effing Anti's! It's gotta perform with copper or forget it.

I dont have a load worked up yet for my new Cooper 6.5 x 284. Do I just go ahead and sell to fund the new 26 Nosler? hahahaahah
Seriously whats the parent case? Standard bolt face or mag? When will I see brass? When will the smiths have access to the reamers? Lots of questions..... and it looks like I have to wait until after the Shot Show to find out....

Rharfo I'm having the same dilemma. Just put together 6.5x284 and I'm not sure if I should put it on hold then on the block or just stick with it haha

I hope they have taken the RUM cases and shortened them slightly leaving a 0.300" long neck with a 30-35 degree shoulder. Reasoning is, less powder (than RUM's), wider powder column (than Win Mags and Ruger Mag's), Long neck with steep shoulder for good bullet seating characteristics and to fuel the "flame point" debate.

If you need anything faster than a 6.5x284, you might as well shoot a bigger caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts