26 Nosler

stx

My 26 Nosler came in this week..built by Matt Cockrell of MC Gunsmithing in Plains, MT.

Trued 700 action
BDL Bottom Metal
Lilja #6 fluted barrel finished at 26".....1:8 Twist
KDF Prone Muzzle Brake
Manners T2A Stock in GAP Camo
Graphite Cerakote
MC Gunsmithing Custom Bolt Knob
Jewel Trigger
20 MOA Nightforce Picatinny Base/ Nightforce Rings
Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

Rifle weighs 10.2 lbs....13.6 lbs with Nightforce and bipod

Bedded base and mounted scope.....now to the range to break in the barrel with factory ammo and get some brass to start working up loads. I'm going to load 127 LRXs and 140 VLDs..... I'm looking forward to seeing what it will do!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 108
Thanks! I ran a few 129 gr ABLRs through it for barrel break in and sent a couple pieces of brass to Hornady to have a modified case made. As soon as I get it back, I'll be ready to start load development.

I've been a little frustrated trying to get this rifle to shoot VLDs. I started as Berger suggests @ .010, .050, .090, & .130 off the lands. I've had a few shot around an inch and one at .742" but most have been between 1-1.5". Today I tried, .030, .070, and .120.......030 & .120 were about like most other loads but it really liked the .070. This group was .287" with 77 grains of Retumbo, neck sized Nosler Brass, and WLRM Primers.....@ 3362 fps avg. Now I just need to get the 127LRXs to shoot.....they're at .7" now but that's at only around 3200 fps with 72 grains Retumbo @ .050 from lands.....as per Barnes rep, they should shoot better at a little more velocity which he says should be around 3350-3400 fps. My Double Tap Ammo is shooting a little over .7" with the LRXs @ 3500+ fps. It won't shoot factory 129 or 142 ABLR but shoots 140 AB factory at .7" @ 3333 fps average. I'm getting there.....slowly but surely!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 122
I'm having issues getting the Bergers to shoot as well in my 280ai. I kind of gave up for now since hunting season is getting close. I'm going with the Barns LRX this season for my elk hunt. I'll revisit the Bergers next year.

Looks like your finding some loads that are working though. The 26 Nos is a screamer! :cool:

The Berger's simply really seem to be finnicky about seating depth and most guys find closer to the lands is better. If you find the right seating depth then work on slight tweaks in the charge to work towards your max accuracy. In getting there I found worrying about velocity should be the last consideration. Even if you give up a hundred or so fps on MV and the end result is .5 MOA groups you'll never miss the extra velocity you are giving up.

This year I'm going to dedicate a lot of time to working with the Hornday factory Precision Hunter Ammo in 300wm and 300 Rum and see where that gets me as I've about decided I'm done shooting Berger's except in some HSM factory ammo that comes with them.

Once I get to a happy place wit that I'm moving to the Peregrine Mono's for reloads.

If it's at all physically and financially possible I'm heading back to Africa next July/August to continue my quest for a wall full of the finest species they have to offer.

Once I've got ten or twelve Gold Medal Animals and a wall full of Silver's I figure I'll have enough to set up a booth at the shows to get some serious interest out of future clients.

The variety of game offered and reasonable prices just make Africa a "Have Do" hunt for anyone really serious about hunting. Even including the travel expenses you can take five to ten species of outstanding plains game and spend less than you would on a single high quality guided Trophy Bull Elk hunt or trip to Alaska for their big three.

On top of that if you also enjoy upland and waterfowl hunting it's an absolute paradise on Earth and the memories you bring home will last you a lifetime even if you only do it once.

For the next trip I'm very seriously considering the 375Ruger again for sure and either one of my 7mm STW's, a .260 Rem or even possibly a .220 Swift for the smaller plains game and of course for shooting predators. Really the trusty ole .22 Hornet would be ideal for the smaller deer and antelope along with Jackal and Cats.

I could evgen keep it to one 300wm or Rum and one of the .22's ad feel like I have a very deadly battery for everything from the Cape Buff downward.

I'm having issues getting the Bergers to shoot as well in my 280ai. I kind of gave up for now since hunting season is getting close. I'm going with the Barns LRX this season for my elk hunt. I'll revisit the Bergers next year.

Looks like your finding some loads that are working though. The 26 Nos is a screamer! :cool:

I've been working up loads with VLDs in my 280AI, as well. Best I've been able to get with 140s is .66 at 3174 fps avg, .050 off lands...but it really likes the 168s. Here's a couple groups I shot this week with 168s at .040 from lands at 2911 fps average. I'm also working on LRXs for it but haven't gotten anything under .75" yet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.