26 Nosler ????

PTG likely has multiple reamer prints. If you want a reamer that matches SAAMI, they will make one.
OK. I was just surprised that such a new chambering would already start do diverge so fast.

However, when I updated my QuickDesign model and ran it through QuickLoad the results were even closer to Noslers claims.

308 holes

I'll be taking my 26 after bear this Saturday. I'm running 140 Accubonds at 3,300 fps. Mine didn't like Barnes bullets but seems OK with Bergers or Accubonds. It also likes US 869. I haven't had time to fine tune a load but 88.5 grains of US 869 behind the 140 Accubond has been doing 1 MOA or better. I don't expect to be shooting past 400 yards on this trip so 1 MOA is good enough for now.

Dies and brass are available but the brass is $2.64 apiece so a deal it is not. Should you buy one? Only you can decide that.

One of my rifle customers shot a one half inch 5 shot group at 200 yards last month.

sheepaholic

I have a 26 Nosler based on a Sako Finnbear (was a 7mm Rem Mag). Put on a Krieger heavy sporter, 5R, 26 inches. Would not shoot the 127 LRX no matter what I did - beyond horrible. Went to the 140 Accubond and it put 4 into 0.7 inches at 200 yards on the first attempt. I used several powders but US869 is the only one I would recommend as the others don't fill the case enough. I tried IMR7828SSC and the first shot was what I expected and the second shot detonated on me. I had to pound the bolt open with a hammer. This is a high strung chambering and you need to keep the case pretty full. Check out Noslers load data for the 26 Nosler on their website. I would not stray away from the powders they list and now that I've tried several I won't stray away from US 869.

Is this a must have caliber or is it so so I'm on the fence with this one,not a lot of reviews on it yet or that I can find

I looked at Nosler's load data for it, and it doesn't seem like the greatest cartridge brought to light. It is impressive but people talked this thing up like it was a lazer beam.

sheepaholic

I have a 26 Nosler based on a Sako Finnbear (was a 7mm Rem Mag). Put on a Krieger heavy sporter, 5R, 26 inches. Would not shoot the 127 LRX no matter what I did - beyond horrible. Went to the 140 Accubond and it put 4 into 0.7 inches at 200 yards on the first attempt. I used several powders but US869 is the only one I would recommend as the others don't fill the case enough. I tried IMR7828SSC and the first shot was what I expected and the second shot detonated on me. I had to pound the bolt open with a hammer. This is a high strung chambering and you need to keep the case pretty full. Check out Noslers load data for the 26 Nosler on their website. I would not stray away from the powders they list and now that I've tried several I won't stray away from US 869.

What kind of velocities are you getting with the 140gr?

Well I started this thread with tons of expectations, and non of them came through, I did not and will not get a 26 and I can see that I have not and will not miss anything. Cool cartridge but lack of performance for all the Hype they spattered. MEH!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts