26 Nosler ????

So many pages not sure if this has been reported. Just attended the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. The 26 is a cut down 7 ultra mag case. It's 3006 length. The owner of Hilly Billy Rifles had a piece of the brass with the ultra mag markings. Nosler had it on display as well along with the new rifle.

So many pages not sure if this has been reported. Just attended the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. The 26 is a cut down 7 ultra mag case. It's 3006 length. The owner of Hilly Billy Rifles had a piece of the brass with the ultra mag markings. Nosler had it on display as well along with the new rifle.

It has the dimension of a shortened RUM case, not necessarily the 7mm one, but it's still quite a bit longer than an O6. It is .100" longer overall and .200" longer to the shoulder.

I have a Remington 721 with a Shilen 30" barrel with 1 in 8 twist. The 264WM is cheaper to shoot. I will be trying the old H570 powder with the JLK 130gr VLD. With H4831 I have hit a 3 shot average of 3239 I should be able to reach over 3300 with the H570.

Have you tried RL33 ?

There are lots of chamberings that can achieve the same goals as the 26 Nosler. For non-handloaders availability of factory ammo of course is a decision point.

To get back on track.

Now that we have the reamer and case numbers I updated my QuickDesign model as noted previously. No problem meeting Noslers claims.

The part of this discussion that included a 7mm/284 version got me started playing with other calibers but keeping all other dimensions the same.

24/243/6mm Nosler
25/257 Nosler
26/264/6.5 Nosler as provided by Nosler
27/277 Nosler
28/284/7mm Nosler
30/300/308/7.62 Nosler
32/323/8mm Nosler
33/338 Nosler
35/358 Nosler
37/375 Nosler
41/415 Nosler
45/458 Nosler

I liked all the numbers compared to other offerings in these calibers. So much that I may change direction in my future builds.

The 243 is ridiculous and too many other calibers work better.
The 257 is pretty weird and I see no point.
The 26 is of course the offering from Nosler

From there upwards in caliber I like them all.

I'm sure many of you have had the same idea so I claim no originality on that.

I may start a switch barrel project based on this. I was going to build a 375 based on Swamlord's work but this seems more fun and of course it's my project. I don't chronicle my builds in detail but it seems appropriate.

1 Go/No-go set
1 of each die will create a forming series or something like. Though there may be better ways.
1 Barrel profile and length
1 Barrel provider
1 Land/Groove profile
1 Magazine and follower setup
Explore the idea of one reamer set with inserts for forming die creation, neck and throating.
Multiple stocks for different activities.

There are lots of chamberings that can achieve the same goals as the 26 Nosler. For non-handloaders availability of factory ammo of course is a decision point.

To get back on track.

Now that we have the reamer and case numbers I updated my QuickDesign model as noted previously. No problem meeting Noslers claims.

The part of this discussion that included a 7mm/284 version got me started playing with other calibers but keeping all other dimensions the same.

24/243/6mm Nosler
25/257 Nosler
27/277 Nosler
28/284/7mm Nosler
30/300/308/7.62 Nosler
32/323/8mm Nosler
33/338 Nosler
35/358 Nosler
37/375 Nosler
41/415 Nosler
45/458 Nosler

I liked all the numbers compared to other offerings in these calibers. So much that I may change direction in my future builds.

I may start a switch barrel project based on this. I was going to build a 375 based on Swamlord's work but this seems more fun and of course it's my project. I don't chronicle my builds in detail but it seems appropriate.

1 Go/No-go set
1 of each die will create a forming series or something like. Though there may be better ways.
1 Barrel provider
1 Land/Groove profile
Explore the idea of one reamer set with inserts for forming die creation, neck and throating.

If we really want a 6.5 that is far faster and flatter than the others we must take a 50BMG neck it down to 6.5 then we may just double the 26N claims. It would probably be about as cost effective.

If we really want a 6.5 that is far faster and flatter than the others we must take a 50BMG neck it down to 6.5 then we may just double the 26N claims. It would probably be about as cost effective.

Oh, your just being silly.:) and don't take this overly serious.

You write as if anyone considering a 26 Nosler or variant is stabbing you in the heart and an un-amaercan traitor.:cool:

Or

As if anyone that does not agree with you that the 264WM is the perfect caliber and chambering is a money wasting idiot.

Sure I agree with you that the 264WM can do anything a 26 Nosler can except of course do away with the belt. gun)

Oh, your just being silly.:) and don't take this overly serious.

You write as if anyone considering a 26 Nosler or variant is stabbing you in the heart and an un-amaercan traitor.:cool:

Or

As if anyone that does not agree with you that the 264WM is the perfect caliber and chambering is a money wasting idiot.

Sure I agree with you that the 264WM can do anything a 26 Nosler can except of course do away with the belt. gun)

The only reason I would not choose the 26N is cost of ammo. People can shoot anything they want. No skin off my nose. I have had my 264 sense 1963 and just plane like it. I also have a 338 federal AR10, 5.56 AR, BAR 3006, 7mm Rem Mag, model 94 3030 and Enfield 3006 which was my dads. My first deer gun was a single shot bolt action 410 with slugs. But I will admit the 264 is my favorite.

To get back on track.

24/243/6mm Nosler
25/257 Nosler
27/277 Nosler
28/284/7mm Nosler
30/300/308/7.62 Nosler
32/323/8mm Nosler
33/338 Nosler
35/358 Nosler
37/375 Nosler
41/415 Nosler
45/458 Nosler

1 Go/No-go set
1 Barrel provider
1 Land/Groove profile

I hope you get around to all of that, it's a pretty tall order.
I am really interested in the .308 version loaded in a M700, set up to use the entire mag. with 215-230 grain bullets.

uuffff , just finiched the reading of 18 pages and no one tryed yet ?

is there any demo rifle firing ammo ?

I was at the Eastern Out Door Show in Harrisburg Pa and Nosler was there with a display of rifles and they had an inert 26Nosler round you could handle. I was told all the sample rifles are out on loan to the gun writers and there should be some results soon.
It is based on the 7mm Rum case which was shortened. I was told it took four different steps to make it from the Rum casing. I was also told that Best Of The West rifles wanted a reamer to work up an AR platform for it.
I included a pic of the 26Nosler with me holding it. It looks like a fat 6.5-06.gun)

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_123445 26Nosler.jpg
    IMG_20140204_123445 26Nosler.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 49
Well, we have the PTG reamer print and the SAAMI print and....

They are not the same.

What's up with that?

PTG likely has multiple reamer prints. If you want a reamer that matches SAAMI, they will make one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.