Nosler 26

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why some people are so concerned about barrel life. If you don't like that a certain chambering may chew up a barrel faster than another chambering then don't shoot it. There are plenty of easy-going chamberings out there that will essentially last forever for most people. It's like telling a guy that is driving a 650 hp corvette that you wouldn't own one because those corvettes burn up tires too quickly. Well, the guy driving the corvette really doesn't care how often he has to buy tires...he likes that it goes fast and handles well. I'm currently gathering parts for a 26 nosler build. I don't care if the barrel lasts 500 or 500,000 rounds. Barrels are cheap in the grand scheme and it doesn't cost much to have one put on. Happy shooting

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see why some people are so concerned about barrel life. If you don't like that a certain chambering may chew up a barrel faster than another chambering then don't shoot it. There are plenty of easy-going chamberings out there that will essentially last forever for most people. It's like telling a guy that is driving a 650 hp corvette that you wouldn't own one because those corvettes burn up tires too quickly. Well, the guy driving the corvette really doesn't care how often he has to buy tires...he likes that it goes fast and handles well. I'm currently gathering parts for a 26 nosler build. I don't care if the barrel lasts 500 or 500,000 rounds. Barrels are cheap in the grand scheme and it doesn't cost much to have one put on. Happy shooting

If you think $350 is just easy money to throw away I will have to let you start buying my barrels.:D

If barrel wear is a major concern simply melonite/nitride the barrel. Should bring the barrel life of a properly cared for 26 in line with many of the other magnum cartridges.

Chris

Agreed. That's my thoughts exactly on barrels. I use to run a D/Altered class car years ago so I know about tires too!

What is your estimated completion date for your build and who has the reamer?

If barrel wear is a major concern simply melonite/nitride the barrel. Should bring the barrel life of a properly cared for 26 in line with many of the other magnum cartridges.

Chris

Is this comparable to the 'Freeze' method for molecular crystal alignment and what is the cost per barrel (thinking cost vs gain vs new barrel)

If you think $350 is just easy money to throw away I will have to let you start buying my barrels.:D
I never said it was easy money. However, let's say I shoot 50 rounds working up a load. Then let's say I shoot another 150 rounds confirming drops and enjoying my new rifle. That's 200 rounds. Then I take it hunting and shoot 3 deer. Hell, let's say I miss 2 times. That's 5 more..up to 205. Then I put it in the safe and get it out the next year and shoot 200 more through it practicing and playing. I can do that 5 years before it has 1000 rounds through it. Now let's pony up $350 for a barrel and $200 for install. That's $550. It comes out to $110/year to shoot this gun not including powder and bullets, but you would use those in a 260. Is that expensive? Maybe. Is it a whole buncha fun? Yep! Do I spend WAY more than $110/year to have fun? Yep! If it was going to be the one and only gun in my safe then it may not be a wise choice. For most of us, though, it isn't going to be the one and only. I think it's great that a company like Nosler is stepping up to the plate. I hope that all the companies out there continue to be innovative and offer hot-rods for us to enjoy. There are plenty Buicks out there for those who don't like the tire burners! :D

Agreed. That's my thoughts exactly on barrels. I use to run a D/Altered class car years ago so I know about tires too!

What is your estimated completion date for your build and who has the reamer?

That's funny, I used to run super comp and super gas in the 90's and early 2000's. Nathan Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing will be doing my build. I'm not sure if he has the reamer yet but I know he is getting one because I am not the only customer of his wanting a 26 Nosler. I am building my as a lightweight/walk-around stick.

Is this comparable to the 'Freeze' method for molecular crystal alignment and what is the cost per barrel (thinking cost vs gain vs new barrel)

Freebore

It's a type of salt bath that "case hardens" the barrel inside and out. Still looking around at costs. H&M seems to be very popular, they charge $250 a batch (up to 3 rifles per batch I believe). Still looking for something a little cheaper for just one barrel.

Chris

That's funny, I used to run super comp and super gas in the 90's and early 2000's. Nathan Dagley at Straight Shot Gunsmithing will be doing my build. I'm not sure if he has the reamer yet but I know he is getting one because I am not the only customer of his wanting a 26 Nosler. I am building my as a lightweight/walk-around stick.

Great choice in gunsmiths, he's doing mine as well. When I ordered mine we talked about who would buy the reamer, he said he'd get it since he figured he'd be using it again, apparently he was right.

Chris

Great choice in gunsmiths, he's doing mine as well. When I ordered mine we talked about who would buy the reamer, he said he'd get it since he figured he'd be using it again, apparently he was right.

Chris

Ha, I guess you were the guy that called him like a day before me! I'm in no rush on mine and plan on gathering parts through this summer and sending it to him this fall. I already have a 6.5x47 lapua to use this year. I'm using a Hawk Hill barrel for the 26 Nosler. It will be the first time I have used one of their barrels. #4 fluted. I'm going to build on a Rem 700, 26" stick, McMillan Edge stock, jewell and Nightforce 2.5-10x42. I'm hoping it comes in under 10 lbs.

Ha, I guess you were the guy that called him like a day before me! I'm in no rush on mine and plan on gathering parts through this summer and sending it to him this fall. I already have a 6.5x47 lapua to use this year. I'm using a Hawk Hill barrel for the 26 Nosler. It will be the first time I have used one of their barrels. #4 fluted. I'm going to build on a Rem 700, 26" stick, McMillan Edge stock, jewell and Nightforce 2.5-10x42. I'm hoping it comes in under 10 lbs.

We're thinking a lot alike. Stiller Tac 300, Broughton 4.1 contour @26", Timney trigger, McMillan Game Scout standard fill, topped with a Zeiss Conquest. Also hoping for under 10 lbs.

Chris

I am thinking of running the 142 or 160 Matrix's in the Nosler 26....But my 7Rum runs the 162 A-Max at almost 3400....just to many 'hot rods' in the garage just have to sell one to make room I guess.

I am testing some proto 240s in 30 cal for Marshall that are real promising so far. I like these bullets.

Been looking at the 160 Matrix as well. In fact I went with a Wyatts mag. in the build just to make sure I had room in case more of the .264 heavies start to show up.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.