26 nosler

muleystalker

I am going to build a new LRH rifle and have always shot a 300WM. I also shoot a 260 rem that i have taken quit a few animals with. I have been reading on the 26 Nosler and was wondering if anybody has shot or built a rifle for this round or had any experience with it. I want to get my build started but don't want to make any hasty choices on caliber choice.

Thanks in advance, Dave

Stick with a .264 WM...very close in performance without the hype and extra costs that come with the "next best thing"...

Stick with a .264 WM...very close in performance without the hype and extra costs that come with the "next best thing"...

Im with him on this one I was recently on the fence between those to cartirdges I decided to go with the 264 w.m. because of current availability of brass and alot more load data my 264 will hopefully be launching lead this weekend if I would have went with the nosler that definitely wouldn't be happening plus if the nosler turns out to be half as good as the propaganda they are pushing I can easily re chamber my gun in the nosler so ill let everyone else be the test mules and if its so fantastic that I gotta I have a great platform for a 26 nosler ready to go I would just need to rechamber it

Thats kind of the way I was leaning but I thought I would throw it out there. I have a stainless Remington Mod. 7 in 260 rem. I am in the process of putting a little longer barrel, #5 flutted 24"to 25" and chambered in 260 imp 30Deg. I thought if the 26 nosler was working out it would be cool to stick to .26 cal. and LRH the nosler but the 260rem would be a lot cheaper to practice with and shot at the range,plus my daughter likes shooting it. There is not that much difference in ballistics between the 260 improved and the .264 mag.

Last edited:
The older I get the less Magnum fever I have. I do have and shoot a .264 Win Mag for Deer & Antelope & for me it's as much recoil as I like to shoot & have no desire for a 26 Nosler. I use to shoot a .270 Win & moved to a .264 win Mag because I wanted a flatter shooting rifle & the ultimate Deer & Antelope rifle. The truth is in the last 30 years I have never shot a Deer or Antelope that I could not of bagged with the .270 Win. With my longest shot on a Antelope at a little over 500 yds. Do I like the .264 Win Mag yes because I like the Rifle. I like Model 70s XTR for there smooth action & safety, & I feel there's not much I can not hunt in North America with it in .264 Win Mag. As for the Difference between .264 Win Mag & 26 Nosler not enough to tell on live game. If the shot is to far for the .264 Win Mag with the weather conditions or distance, I highly doubt you would take the shot with a 26 Nosler.

Craig Boddington claims 3425fps with a 140 grain Bullet in a recent 26 Nosler, Guns and Ammo review.
If this claim is to be believed ( I see no reason why it should not ) then it is a healthy increase on what a .264 WM can offer.

Brit.

I hadn't seen his article yet. That was my point of this Question was to get some real world none biased info. I wanted to see if anyone here had some real life experience with the cartridge. I knew I would get some comments from people that don't like magnums are don't like the recoil, you always will, and thats ok i respect that. Me myself the recoil never bothered me, in fact I kind of enjoy it. Might sound a little twisted but I don't thinks its any different than appreciating the feeling of pulling a load with a Cummins diesel or the feel of a nicely built V8,as long as all three still perform reliably eveytime.
Ever since I was a kid going to the range with my dad and uncle I would sit there and watch them shoot and loved the boom. I was shooting stander cal. rifles at 5 years of age and loved it. Towards the end of my fifth year I talked my dad into letting me shoot his 7 mag,i think he figured one time and that would stop my asking him. Needless to say I loved it. I was reloading at age 7 because my dad couldn't afford all the shooting I wanted to do. I bought my first magnum (300 WM mod. 70) at age 8 and still use it to this day. Man that was a lot of lawns.LOL. I was taking my dads 10 ga. 3 1/2" double barrel out duck and goose hunting at age 8 and loved every shot.
Everyone has their own views on things and thats what made me ask the question hoping to see if anyone has worked with the 26 nosher yet. The .264 mag, 7mm rem mag, and 300 win mag all started out many moons ago in the same place the 26 nosler is today. They had their fair share of people with negative views and look at what fine cartridges those turned out to be. I'm not saying the 26 nosler does what I have read because I can't confirm it, but I am trying to, thus the reason for this thread. And I hope it does turn out to live up to its claims . My farther taught me to believe nothing of what you hear, noting of what you read, and only half of what you see! He also told me always be will to listen to other peoples views or ways of doing things, you may learn something you may learn nothing, or you may be able to use one little piece of the info. Listen , take what info you can use and you can always throw out what doesn't work. I'm not going to rule out this cartridge until I get some further independent data. I do like the idea i could always rechamber a .264 to the 26 nosler if it turns out well, that way I can move forward with my build. Thanks for your views and keep them coming.

What do you consider healthy increase? With RL-33 powder 264 WM shooters have passed 3300fps with 140gr VLD and haven't reached max yet. Which brings us back to lighter recoil and a lot less expensive. I have reached 3095fps with the 160gr Woodleigh PPSN and am going higher with H570.

Hi 264.
I do not have a Dog in this fight. I merely referred the OP to the Guns and Ammo Article.
When comparing Cartridges one needs a Base line. I think that Base Line is a Pressure Tested Factory Load. I presume the Ammo supplied by Nosler for the test had been loaded to within its SAAMI specification to 3425fps?
.264 WM Factory Ammo loaded to its own SAAMI spec' would seem to operate at around 3150?
I am sure that the 264WM performance can be increased by the Handloader opening the throttle a little, but what is happening to pressures? We need to compare oranges to oranges.
I wonder what will happen to .26Nosler figures when the adventurous Handloaders get their Hands on it?

Brit.

Brit

When the adventurists get a hold of the 26 Nosler they will drop their barrel life from maybe 1000 rounds to, "I hope I find a node before I shoot up this box of 20."

I've been looking at the 264 WinMag and 26 Nosler, but then there's the 7mm RUM....

KB

Hi KB.
You make a fair point . Maybe 26Nosler calls for a Lothar Barrel. The LW50 Steel is hard and may just help things.
I have Brass and Dies for a 7mm RUM. Subject to our Perverse Firearms Laws I would like one.

Brit.

Hi 264.
I do not have a Dog in this fight. I merely referred the OP to the Guns and Ammo Article.
When comparing Cartridges one needs a Base line. I think that Base Line is a Pressure Tested Factory Load. I presume the Ammo supplied by Nosler for the test had been loaded to within its SAAMI specification to 3425fps?
.264 WM Factory Ammo loaded to its own SAAMI spec' would seem to operate at around 3150?
I am sure that the 264WM performance can be increased by the Handloader opening the throttle a little, but what is happening to pressures? We need to compare oranges to oranges.
I wonder what will happen to .26Nosler figures when the adventurous Handloaders get their Hands on it?

Brit.

+!
There are many ways to up the velocity on a caliber, and pressure is one of them. It seems
like any more velocity is king. and normally at the cost of other things like pressure, case life,
barrel life, action life ETC.

All of the "New" cartridges are higher pressure (65,000 Psi +) because of claims of better steel
and production process. Over 50 years ago some rifles were being tested to 170,000 Psi, so steel must have been pretty good then.

Its all about sales, and velocity sells no matter what the other issues may be.

Designer cartridges come and go with the fad, good cartridges just last and last over decades. Great
cartridges stay forever because they have so many attributes and very few issues if any.

The 26 Nosler is not the fastest in the bullet weight class, so it is not the flattest in class, but it may not burn barrels as its big brothers ether, so it may last, who knows.

In my experience, when you push a bullet faster you get more problems than attribute's. there is no free ride.

I personally will wait and see how it does before I go out and buy or build one.

Just some comments, Not intended to offend anyone.

J E CUSTOM

It's the American way.

Cubic inches and speed. Cars or guns, no difference.

Of course a handloader can do amazing things for a specific rifle just like a hot rodder can do amazing things to that old Chevy or Ford.

Guys like 264WM, JE, me and many others will pull up to that stock 26 Nosler at the stop sign and blow the doors off with an old "Iron Duke" on nitro. Of course the hot rod could blow up.

The general public/non-handloader/non-hotrodder, with the prod from marketing "wants" that performance from the showroom floor on pump gas.

If you put a 120gr 22 cal on an electronic rail gun you can get to mach 5 pretty easy. Targets smaller than a Zipcode are a little hard to hit though.

I am not the expert here by any means. I just go out and shoot and remember what happened. It has been my experience that high BC's deliver at long range. Smaller calibers do not easily reach high BC"s. An average 50cal is G1=1. 375 cal will reach G1-1 in a few years. 7mm barely break G1=0.7.

If you want it flat to 400 yards the 22-250 has done that for 80 years.

I am not opposed to the 26 Nosler and in fact find it's ballistics very attractive. But just shooting flat is not a new thing, especially at only 400 yards. Pun intended

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.