26 Nosler ????

No offense taken. I seriously considered the 264 before doing this. It is great cartridge and once you get into these capacities to bore sizes, we are dealing with marginal matters. Your load is probably considerably higher pressure than the one I initially used because I started experimenting with mild loads of 4831 and Re 22, powders which I knew well, but obviously too fast for optimal results. I presume that I will go to slower powders. Since then, I have tried Retumbo, with unsatisfactory results and a number of slower powders are up next. One person with experience in some crazy wildcats predicts 3700 fps. We will see. I have exceeded 3600 with Re 22 but assume that the pressure is more that I want to live with.
Concerning limiting shots to under 450 yards, hunting in west Texas rarely lets you take the time to use a range finder. In addition, many shots have to be taken from a standing position. So every advantage in trajectory is a plus. Interestingly, my most successful shot of 450 to 450 yards have been with my old trusted 300 H and H built for me on a Sako barreled action in 1956. For example, it made a spine shot at over 400 yards on a deer facing me when I successfully guessed the range and was prone on top of a windmill (terrifying experience - I am too Old for that now.) I am not one to claim that the 6.5 by 375 should be built for practical reasons. But don't we have to play with all kinds of stuff ?

I completed a 6.5 by 375 Ruger before last year's Mule deer season in Texas. Killed two deer with it at close range (120 yards or so) and it was instant results before hitting the ground. The load used a 120 g. Ballistic Tip at 3500 fps (load backed off from well over 3600 fps) and there was no grenade explosion on impact, although there was no exit. It is a Pacnor barrel and I chose one in 11 twist because I am not interested in high sectional density bullets at the cost of flatest possible tragectory to 450 yards. I pass up all longer shots and take 400 yarders only when everything appears perfect. This cartridge enables me to ignore hold over considerations for all practical shots. I put this rifle together before the introduction of the 26 Nosler and would not have bothered if I had known of the Nosler development. However, one advantage of this wildcat is I was able to do a switch barrel wit a 257 Weatherby barrel and both cartridges function through the magazine which probably will not work with the slightly fatter 26 nosler. One disadvantage to the wildcat is making the brass is a real leanring experience but once perfected, it becomes easy. Comparing published load of the 26 Nosler to my results with this wildcat might indicate that I am getting a little more velocity and/or lower pressures that the 26 Nosler because of the difference in twist rate.
I didn't trace back posts to find out what action you used. If you used a Rem 700 you are correct that the 6.5/.375 Ruger will feed the same as a 257 Wby. If you used a Mark V action, they all work Nosler, Ruger, Wby and RUM.

No offense taken. I seriously considered the 264 before doing this. It is great cartridge and once you get into these capacities to bore sizes, we are dealing with marginal matters. Your load is probably considerably higher pressure than the one I initially used because I started experimenting with mild loads of 4831 and Re 22, powders which I knew well, but obviously too fast for optimal results. I presume that I will go to slower powders. Since then, I have tried Retumbo, with unsatisfactory results and a number of slower powders are up next. One person with experience in some crazy wildcats predicts 3700 fps. We will see. I have exceeded 3600 with Re 22 but assume that the pressure is more that I want to live with.
Concerning limiting shots to under 450 yards, hunting in west Texas rarely lets you take the time to use a range finder. In addition, many shots have to be taken from a standing position. So every advantage in trajectory is a plus. Interestingly, my most successful shot of 450 to 450 yards have been with my old trusted 300 H and H built for me on a Sako barreled action in 1956. For example, it made a spine shot at over 400 yards on a deer facing me when I successfully guessed the range and was prone on top of a windmill (terrifying experience - I am too Old for that now.) I am not one to claim that the 6.5 by 375 should be built for practical reasons. But don't we have to play with all kinds of stuff ?
I also am a speed junky so pushing them fast is my hot rod. One powder you might try is the RL33 which seems to be good in the magnum cases. You can look up the 6.5 pro that Swamplord has developed and get some great load data. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/6-5-prometheus-6-5-pro-140-gr-3700-fps-101545/

Had one for a year now. Right at 300 rounds thru it. Checked with bore scope last cleaning and no worse for wear than any other magnum cartridge that I have. Shooting Retumbo with 140 vlds. Have two boxes of 142 ablr's but not shot them yet. Killed a lot of deer with it this past season was very impressive
28 1/2" Bartline barrel. Reamer by PTG with Bore Rider Throat
Ddgo

I stumbled across a Christensen in 26 Nosler...and bought it. I have to say I am very impressed with the caliber. I had previously hunted with a 6.5 SAUM built up by GA Precision, and this rifle shoots flatter than my 6.5 SAUM. I ran the CA out to 1000 yards yesterday and it was a 5.4 mil drop (using 129 ABLR's loaded up by Nosler). It bucks wind just like any of the faster 6.5's and seems to be a solid caliber. I am impressed.

Scoped with a 3-18 Z6 and a Montana sling it weighs around 9 pounds.

I am at 800ft ASL.

Killed a lot of deer with mine last year. It really works well with vlds. Will probably shoot 142 ablr's this year if BC numbers hold up

Looking for a good powder that is real temp sensative,How wood Ramshot Magnum work.
Have two 26 noslers, a 1-8.5 and 1-8. I use RL33 in the 8.5 with 130 Berger VLDs and in the 8 with 140 Berger VLDs, both hunting versions. Haven't found much difference in chrono data shooting in the 80s to 60s. They both hold sub 1/2 moa to 600 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.