26 Nosler ????

This new cartridge sounds very interesting. The name sucks...:rolleyes:

Wonder which rifle manufacturer has dibs on it? Rem? Ruger? Winchester? Or will Nosler make it highly propitiatory? It sounds like it might be a better fit for a Ruger or Win action.

If the 129 ABLR's act like some of the other ABLR's at high velocity, this will be embarrassing for Nosler.

That caught my attention too...:cool::rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people I offend when I ask them to put their money where their mouth is. :cool: But I digress...

This new cartridge sounds very interesting. The name sucks...:rolleyes:

Wonder which rifle manufacturer has dibs on it? Rem? Ruger? Winchester? Or will Nosler make it highly propitiatory? It sounds like it might be a better fit for a Ruger or Win action.

If the 129 ABLR's act like some of the other ABLR's at high velocity, this will be embarrassing for Nosler.

It will be very interesting to see which manufacturer picks it up first. My experience would lead me to believe most will stand back & see what happens first :D I'm not sure how I feel about the 129grn ABLR, a 140grn variant would probably be better but, maybe i'm wrong?

I haven't heard/read anything bad about the ABLR's performance; I take it there have been a few issues?

t

It never ceases to amaze me how many people I offend when I ask them to put their money where their mouth is. :cool: But I digress...

It will be very interesting to see which manufacturer picks it up first. My experience would lead me to believe most will stand back & see what happens first :D I'm not sure how I feel about the 129grn ABLR, a 140grn variant would probably be better but, maybe i'm wrong?

I haven't heard/read anything bad about the ABLR's performance; I take it there have been a few issues?

t

Yeah, there were some issues. Here's one thread I could find. It seems that ABLR's open very quickly and expend most of their energy and destruction very early... not surprising as they advertise a 1300 fps expansion velocity. I think I remember a similar thread about the 308 210's but can't find it ATM.

I would only use them in low velocity cartridges.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/nosler-long-range-accbond-my-experience-125820/

Nosler is a voting member of SAAMI, I highly doubt that they would create a new cartridge and not submit it for SAAMI certification, thus opening it up for anyone to use.

Nevertheless, I also somehow doubt that any other major ammunition maker or rifle maker will pick this up anywhere other than possibly in their custom shops (for rifle mfrs.) unless it takes off.

Having nothing but Nosler brass for a barn burner magnum kinda sucks, since the heads are so soft (norma, I'm looking at you guys).

Nosler is a voting member of SAAMI, I highly doubt that they would create a new cartridge and not submit it for SAAMI certification, thus opening it up for anyone to use.

Nevertheless, I also somehow doubt that any other major ammunition maker or rifle maker will pick this up anywhere other than possibly in their custom shops (for rifle mfrs.) unless it takes off.

Having nothing but Nosler brass for a barn burner magnum kinda sucks, since the heads are so soft (norma, I'm looking at you guys).

Yes, they did submit it to SAAMI in June. I didn't realize that opened it up to everyone... learn something new everyday.

By the descriptions, it sounds like it's going to be very similar to a necked down 300 Dakota.

If know one makes the rifle, it will surely have a short life expectancy. No doubt there will be Nosler brass for it at Nosler prices. A little too soft for me, based on what I've read. If it was a little tougher, I would pay for it.

Hmm... I wonder what Nosler is planning for availability and marketing?

It is kinda confusing seeing complaints about one bullet coming apart, then turning to a frangible for 'reliability'.

I suspect it is a matter of expectations. Most hoped that the new LRAB's would be half way between a Burger and a regular AB. Instead it's more like the Burger. So disappointment has set it. In some ways it may be inferior to the Berger. At least there we know what to expect with expansion. Then there is the BC'S. On some bullets they seem to be close and others not so close. Tends to sour people on them. Bruce

It is kinda confusing seeing complaints about one bullet coming apart, then turning to a frangible for 'reliability'.

The ABLR's and Bergers are very different bullets. The ABLR's are advertised to open at 1300 FPS, the Bergers are advertised to open at 1800 fps. The ABLR's have a tipped point and the Bergers have a HP.

The Bergers penetrate 2-3" before expansion and the ABLR's start expanding immediately. With either the Berger or ABLR, you risk a blow up with extremely high velocities, more so with the ABLR's.

When the ABLR's first came out I suspected there might be problems with higher velocity impacts due to the fact they were designed to expand at such low velocities. Suspicions seem to be confirmed.

IMO, Nosler needs to design a more aggressive tapper in their jackets to try to keep these bullets together at higher velocities. Better yet, design a LR Partition with plastic tip.

You just gotta wonder what they were thinking? :rolleyes:

And, you just gotta wonder what a 129 ABLR is going to do when it impacts @ 3300 fps?

:D well, mostly I was twisting tails on this board full of Berger-lovers. It's different theories, is all. If I hunted the west, regularly, I would probably change some details. I have not used the LRAB/ABLR stuff, yet. However, I do use certain nosler ballistic tips for hunting the southern states, through TX. My terrain and hunting styles dictate different considerations. I've not had a NBT fail to give me an exit hole, to just over 3k FPS. I have had them make more mess than I wanted, but since my first priority is a good blood trail as a worst case, and DRT desirable, with 5 yards often meaning I'll never see that deer or hog on its feet again, due to cover...I just don't consider frangibles my kind of 'need'. There is also a fine balance for exits/damage, or higher hits at low angles can leave little blood. We all love impressive, bang flop, kills. When given time, they aren't hard to get. I often have little time to get into a good shooting position, much less shoot, so 17-277 yards, shooting through holes at the largest kill zone offered, is about 75%, vs actually getting open field shots, already set, oriented, and rested. Many others that visit here may understand this all to well. I'm just expounding on my state of mind vs if I hunted elsewhere. I just think cup/core/bonded have always served me well, and a few inches of flatness at 300, can come in handy when dealing with 'windows' for bullet flight. I'm not going to drive much of anything past 3k FPS, and most stuff more in the 2600-2900 window (243/284/308/358 pills) because I'm not worried about carrying 1800fps past 500 yards, etc. I've done past 500, it's just not on my normal agenda. I'm a shooter and loader, and like trying to keep up with new technology...just enough old school to resist fixing what ain't broke, either. I have 1k guns, but they make their living inside 300.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.