The Ultimate Hunting Rifle Action!

What's everyone's thoughts and interest in what was once a thing! Thats imo the 704 action designed by Ed Brown and later bought and produced under the name Legendary Arms Works which unfortunately was short lived. The action utilizes a M1 Garand style extractor and a fixed ejector and a one piece bolt. A three position safety was available as well as Remington style drop in triggers, I believe if we had a current manufacture that would take the time to fix a few minor issues with the 704 we as hunters and rifle builders would again have the ultimate rifle action again, but designed with an Integral Recoil Lug and Repeatable headspace, 3 position safety and positive and timed firing control system. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this action. I know only a very guys have actually used one. And I have and absolutely love the design. And a bonus would be if we had an option of titanium!
Interesting thread. Thanks for posting this.

How soon we forget:

Montana Rifle Co. Model 2022

1714309340433.png

1714309620786.png

1714309696978.jpeg

https://montanarifleco.com/

Enjoy!

:)

What's everyone's thoughts and interest in what was once a thing! Thats imo the 704 action designed by Ed Brown and later bought and produced under the name Legendary Arms Works which unfortunately was short lived. The action utilizes a M1 Garand style extractor and a fixed ejector and a one piece bolt. A three position safety was available as well as Remington style drop in triggers, I believe if we had a current manufacture that would take the time to fix a few minor issues with the 704 we as hunters and rifle builders would again have the ultimate rifle action again, but designed with an Integral Recoil Lug and Repeatable headspace, 3 position safety and positive and timed firing control system. Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this action. I know only a very guys have actually used one. And I have and absolutely love the design. And a bonus would be if we had an option of titanium!
I guess I think of the bighorn and figured it is the perfect action for the modern rifleman. It seems to blend most of the good attributes and few of the bad into a configurable prefit action.

I guess I think of the bighorn and figured it is the perfect action for the modern rifleman. It seems to blend most of the good attributes and few of the bad into a configurable prefit action.
For me the perfect thing would have a 60° bolt with a bolt lock on the tang like browning and savage, be 700 stock compatible, maybe controlled round feed. Also have a 4.000" dbm availability.
We'll get it if enough noise is made!

Very fine actions. However I'm not a fan of the integral scope bases. It's the only negative. I've fondled them at SCI.

Everyone has their own opinion about components for every part of rifle designs. Integral bases were a result of the push for so many actions to have integral rails which saved the process of attaching rails with screws and pins. In the beginning, we found the potential for rails attached with the screws and pins to work their way loose during a few of the roughest challenges when shooting PRS competitions.

The fastest solution was to use Loctite on the screws to resist that loosening. However, enterprising manufacturers made the decision to change the design with fixed or integral scope bases.

At one time I was holding over 3 dozen different bases in my shop in order to accommodate a client's desire for a particular base design to add to an action. Now I order actions with a base machined into that action.

However, if I need an action without an integral base, I use a different action. This occurs when I need more than the often offered 20 MOA base or a zero base.

We as a nation, are benefited greatly by the number and variety of actions and other components made available to us by the manufacturers. I for one am grateful for the much more impressive selections available to me.

Last edited:
What about the defiance crf? That is now discontinued..
I actually just got a call from Defiance yesterday, they were reaching out to request feedback on the CRF and 3 position safety as they are planning on adding them back in the future.

Everyone has their own opinion about components for every part of rifle designs. Integral bases were a result of the push for so many actions to have integral rails which saved the process of attaching rails with screws and pins. In the beginning, we found the potential for rails attached with the screws and pins to work their way loose during a few of the roughest challenges when shooting PRS competitions.

The fastest solution was to use Loctite on the screws to resist that loosening. However, enterprising manufacturers made the decision to change the design with fixed or integral scope bases.

At one time I was holding over 3 dozen different bases in my shop in order to accommodate a client's desire for a particular base design to add to an action. Now I order actions with a base machined into that action.

However, if I need an action without an integral base, I use a different action. This occurs when I need more than the often offered 20 MOA base or a zero base.

We as a nation, are benefited greatly by the number and variety of actions and other components made available to us by the manufacturers. I for one am grateful for the much more impressive selections available to me.

I think the issue is more the fact that with some current scope designs you would be unable to use them with that type of rail. For example I us the NX8 2.5-20 and there is zero chance that I could use that scope on that rifle as the front ring would be over the action port.

Also I guess I should add that I am a fan of the American Rifle Company actions.

IMG_8164.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a 3 position wing safety only person. Used law m704s so far for my customs. Everything else is m70s.
I dont have an integral rail, but believe it would be superior.

With LAW out of business, I would buy defiance for future builds

I think the issue is more the fact that with some current scope designs you would be unable to use them with that type of rail. For example I us the NX8 2.5-20 and there is zero chance that I could use that scope on that rifle as the front ring would be over the action port.

This is a problem with a particular scope design since the rail works with the vast majority of other scope designs.

;)

This is a problem with a particular scope design since the rail works with the vast majority of other scope designs.

;)

It's not just that one, there are a few others that can run into issues as well particularly on the long actions. Most of them are newer designs which are much shorter than the older scopes. If you have a long scope with plenty of tube then I'm sure it would work fine but I'm not a huge fan of limiting my scope options due to a fixed scope mount.