Ultimate mountain rifle

brandon327

If you could build the ultimate mountain rifle for long range hunting (under 800-1000 yds) of elk, mule deer, and antelope what caliber would you build and why? I would say the rifle would need a 24" barrel maybe a 26" if it proved to be that much of an advantage. Synthetic stock.

If you could build the ultimate mountain rifle for long range hunting (under 800-1000 yds) of elk, mule deer, and antelope what caliber would you build and why? I would say the rifle would need a 24" barrel maybe a 26" if it proved to be that much of an advantage. Synthetic stock.
7mm STW, 26" 1:9 twist, muzzle brake. Low recoiling, lightweight, powerful, and flat shooting.

IMO, all calibers deserve a 26" (or longer) tube... Regardless of caliber. The .308 Win and other calibers based on that case can get away with shorter barrels, but if your caliber of choice is based on the .30-06 case, or bigger, I'd pick ATLEAST a 26" barrel 10 out of 10 times.

But that's just my opinion...

I always get into trouble when I say this but I don't believe longrange hunting and mountain rifles go together. If we are talking 10lbs okish but if you are 7 lbs not realistic for 1000 yards maybe 700. With that said I have a 7 Rem mag in 26" that's running 180 bergers at 3060 but that's with a custom long throated chamber. I would say this would be the minimum for elk at over 800 yards but not more than 1000. In the 26" barrel limitations the 338 Norma shines if looking at big pills. A 10lbs 300 RUM would be hard to beat for what you are looking for. You are better off taking weight out of your pack then off your rifle.

I'm in the process of doing that exact thing, Im going to go with the 7mm Rem Mag and hope to push the 180 berger hybrids for my all around load. I'm finding that there is a compromise to be made though and a 1000 yard mt rifle will usually end up being a 1000 yard rifle that isn't much fun to carry in the mountains if your not very careful what components you add. Looking to keep my total weight under 9 lbs, and that's going to take some $ to do. The 7mm ballistics really shine against my 300 mag when the distance gets past 500 yards.

I'm in the process of doing that exact thing, Im going to go with the 7mm Rem Mag and hope to push the 180 berger hybrids for my all around load. I'm finding that there is a compromise to be made though and a 1000 yard mt rifle will usually end up being a 1000 yard rifle that isn't much fun to carry in the mountains if your not very careful what components you add. Looking to keep my total weight under 9 lbs, and that's going to take some $ to do. The 7mm ballistics really shine against my 300 mag when the distance gets past 500 yards.
Yep, long range precision and light weight generally aren't found i the same rifle.

I'm with MR though, I'd go for the STW since it gives great bang for the buck.

Look up the spec's for the Winchester Model 70 Sharpshooter in 7mm STW and put it in a McMillian light weight htg stock and you'd probably have about the best of all worlds.

You will pay a premium to build such a rifle today but it would be very well worth the money.

You can shave ounces by going with lighter rigs but in doing so you are going to have to sacrifice some very important things.

The .264wm built on a similar platform would probably be my second choice.

I don't know if it's the ultimate but it's what I use .264 Win Mag. Model 70, HS precision stock. The only thing I would change is the barrel when I shoot it out from 24 to 26+ inches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 102
My ultimate mountain rifle is a 338 RUM, 27" #4 barrel plus brake. The rifle without a scope weighs exactly 8 lbs. Add a scope and it's right at 10 lbs for the entire setup. Run a heavy bullet with high BC, and it's a hammer for elk and anything smaller. The rifle is heavy enough to shoot long range and light enough to carry a long ways.

Lots of opinions, obviously 7mm is going to be a popular choice. My opinion is that once you step up to a big bodied animal like an elk, you're in the big leagues for North American big game, and the 338 is going to outperform anything else in a pack weight rifle.

7mm STW, 26" 9 twist light varmint fluted, Borden Rimrock stock, Wyatt's box, Leupold VX3 LR 4.5-14x40 M1 knobs, 9.8 lbs loaded.
I built this rifle in 2008 (my first build) as a newbie to LR and custom rifles. Knowing what I know now I might change a few components and the smith but it would still be essentially the same gun.

I've carried this rifle hundreds of mountain miles and sometimes at the end of the day I long for my old XTR Featherweight but then I see groceries standing at 700 yards.

Love the STW and 180 Bergers!
PC220007.jpg

P9290151.jpg

PB050007.jpg

I just ordered a GAP non-typical .300 WSM that is basically an Xtreme Hunter clone. Should weigh in at 7.5 pounds. I wanted something that's a little easier to tote around, but is still shootable for hunting out to 700ish yards. I also ordered it with a 24" barrel because a lot of my hunting is in the Eastern states with some up close shooting. I wanted a gun that I was able to point quickly. My goal was an all around gun that I could use for just about everything in the lower 48. I'm pretty happy with the total package and think that this should fill a niche (for me) as a lighter long range capable hunting rig.

Mac

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.