Mountain Rifle Advice

You already have a .30 cal rifle that shoots amazing.....

All you need now is something to fill that gaps. I would suggest a .243 for the predator/pig hunting that is pretty darn good hunting in your current backyard.

For AK build yourself a 338 in the 10lbs area like stated prior. My current one weighs at 10lbs topped with a nightforce 2.5-10x30 scope, loaded, sling, stock pack, and bipod. I finally had a chance to shoot it at 600yds and it prints good on paper. I am only shooting 225gr accubond in it but may step up to the 250gr for next season.

I don't know how the 300gr matchkings will do on the brown bear at close range so I might have to carry two different bullets with me. Nosler partitions for 200yds and in and some 300gr matchkings for the longer shots on everything else up here.

Of course you need to start reloading or make friends with someone down there that does and just bring your dies and components. Besides that you need to remember the lead time on getting a custom rifle built. Get your order in so it will be waiting for you when you get back from your next "hunting" trip.

Yeah I hear ya. I really like big bullets but they are not, im my opinion, practical for my area.
LRH is a great resource and I have pretty much decided that I need something between .240 to .260 and then .338 to .375 which hits the pocketbook but the more guns the better. Thanks all for the posts.

My mountain rifle is an original Rem 700 Titanium 7mm-08. It now has a Shilen 22" barrel with the same contour as the original barrel but chambered for 7mm-08 Ackley. Shilen trigger, Leupold 3-9 compact in PRW rings and bases and Uncle Mikes mountain sling. I shoot 120 grain Barnes TTSX and Berger Hunting VLD's and never feel under gunned. I don't know the total weight but I know that I can carry it all day long up and down the mountains and I CAN HUNT ALL day long with this rifle. All that being said all of my other hunting rifles are what would be considered heavy rifles. I like moderately heavy barrels/rifles for their stability when shooting, but in TRUE mountain hunting lightweight is the only way to go. There is mountain hunting then there is mountain hunting where you climb 3 to 4 thousand vertical feet all day long up and down at inclinations that make your quads/lungs scream. FLAMETOP7 from what you have said the latter is the type of hunting you will be doing, so go with the lightest setup you can. Every ounce matters in this environment. I have lived and hunted in the west my whole life and there is no hunting like sheep and goat hunting. I will spend $500 on a pair of boots to save a few ounces with these type hunts. GOOD HUNTING!!

You might look at the Browning TI's.
After lugging around a 28" barreled 7STW for years I got the Browning in 7WSM and love to carry it.
My son liked mine so much he got one in 300WSM, which might be better for Alaska.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.