Ultimate mountain rifle

my thoughts on this one will be verry diferent than most of you.

l live in turkey and the main thing l hunt is the İBEX. the terrain thay live in and the hikeing that goes on at the hunt can become a challange to eaven the fitest hunter here on this forum. but any kind of mountain hunt is really tireing. l own a HEYM SR 30 7mm rem mag. its a great rifle for the job but eaven a rifle like that seems to way a TON after a short hike..!!!

rifles are so expencive here ( 9000 dolars for a standard sauer 202 ) and we can not get those costom stuff most you guys Show off. l would love to own my own one of them tactical looking long and heavy barreled rifles like most you guys have in your Arsenal :) l only have one rifle :/

now but when it comes to mountain hunting that involves hikeing and all that. l wouldnt want to carry anything with a heavy barrel or lets just say anything sniper rifle looking. bigger the round heavyer the barrel ( this goes for standard non heavy barrels also ) so with all my experience in the mountains l would never get anything bigger than a 300 win mag.
and for under 800 yards you really dont need anything bigger than the 7mm rem mag or the 300 win mag because thay will easyly drop the animal from those distances. and lets not forget we are trying to put a hole in the animal not drill a hole in the side of the mountain in the process :) dont get me wrong l would love to own one of them fancy long range mac millan stocked long range rifles but it wouldnt be my choice for a proper mountain hunt. but it would be verry nice to have one in the car and take süper long shots off the side of the road :)
My custom 338 Norma that shoots 1'+ at 400 is 7lb. 2 oz bare,hard to find winny that light.The rifle has wacked plenty game past 500 and past 800 easy

Kick very managable spot Most hits:D Picture post # 24 Defiance ABS 26 '' braked Lonewolf summit Mark 4 6-20x50.This the "Kid" on 800+ kill flat land.He is a double sharp shooter in Marines.

Attachments

• WP 800 goat.jpg
    WP 800 goat.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 124
I've had 2 customs built as my idea of an ideal mountain rifle. The first was a .300 Jarrett built on a Remy 700; and currently an Allen Precision .270 WSM, Stiller Predator, Satern 4 taper barrel, Manners carbon fiber stock, Jewell trigger, NF 2.5-10x32. Both weighed a hair over 8 lbs scoped. I would also say rifles like these make good 700 yard rifles, but not 1000... in my hands anyway.

If I ever build another mountain rifle, for long range, it will utilize a Ti action and Murphy Ti scope bases/mounts, another Manners carbon fiber stock, Kreiger sendero taper barrel, and I would want another Schmidt Bender 4-16 PMII on it. It would be chambered for the 28 Nosler.
A dream rifle for sure... but as I am approaching 60 a more realistic mountain rifle for me is beginning to look like a Kimber Mtn Ascent or a NULA.

I would also say rifles like these make good 700 yard rifles, but not 1000... in my hands anyway.

I completely agree with this. My 7.25 lb pack rifle is a sub 700 yard rifle. I love light rifles, but for long range you've gotta be realistic. My personal weight preference is somewhere in the 9-10 lb range for a 1000 yard hunting rifle. And everybody is different, this is just my preference.

This my rig gun but I love the Lonewolf tac II stock and jewel so much I packed it about 45 days this year 11# plus

Attachments

• P5310044.jpg
    P5310044.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.