Zero thermal at range

Make an X on a pure white target with black electrical tape, it even works on a semi cloudy day, really stands out on a sunny, I've tried aluminum foil and hand warmers the tape is the best for me, I have three of these things.

Make an X on a pure white target with black electrical tape, it even works on a semi cloudy day, really stands out on a sunny, I've tried aluminum foil and hand warmers the tape is the best for me, I have three of these things.
That's interesting, I've tried the electrical tape with several scopes and it never really worked for me unless I could put it in the sun. I always did it on cardboard not a white target though, I'll have to give that a try. When you used the foil did you tip the target back a bit?

That's interesting, I've tried the electrical tape with several scopes and it never really worked for me unless I could put it in the sun. I always did it on cardboard not a white target though, I'll have to give that a try. When you used the foil did you tip the target back a bit?
Yes, but it just wasn't clear to me as you described a bloom or a glob, but the X of black tape, it's clear as day to me. You have to have snow white paper for any of it I think. The 1st thermal I got was the 38 Trail pretty good and then XP Thermion 38 really better and recently I got a Thermion Pro XP50 recently its Bad A&&, the contrast is so much clearer it's an amazing instrument.

Yes, but it just wasn't clear to me as you described a bloom or a glob, but the X of black tape, it's clear as day to me. You have to have snow white paper for any of it I think. The 1st thermal I got was the 38 Trail pretty good and then XP Thermion 38 really better and recently I got a Thermion Pro XP50 recently its Bad A&&, the contrast is so much clearer it's an amazing instrument.
It might be based on the units. I've pretty much exclusively used trijicon IR hunters, the 60mm the last few years (which is 4.5 base mag, might explain some of this), the 35mm before that. I have a pulsar helion pro on the way, I'll have to take a look through that the next time I'm shooting the rifle and see if it is different than the trijicons.

Good morning. Forgive me if this has been answered before but could not find anything. Went hunting night before last and was successful with my night vision scope even though it was raining pretty hard. My buddy had a thermal and his view was much better. I decided to buy one myself because I liked his view and with my distance to stalk I want to shoot farther away. Now I have read that some use hand warmers to provide a heat source at an indoor range but do not think they would appreciate the mess. I am trying to find a good way. I think one person used a paper towel soaked in hot water and a few have said they rubbed their thumb on the target. What have you all used for success? Thank you.
Tape a 1" piece of tin foil on your target