Zeiss ZRF Reticle

victor

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new scope.
I want the Zeiss conquest in 4.5 x 44mm with target knobs and mil-dot reticle.

Unfortunately Zeiss only makes this scope with mil-dot reticle and no target knobs or Target knobs with the ZRF reticle (ZRF = Range Finding).

I have looked at the Zeiss website, but see nothing that explains how to use this reticle. I'm not pleased with the small short lines next to the thin verticle reticle. It looks crapy.
Does anybody know how to use this range finding reticle and please give your opinion in regards to functionality.

I plan on using this scope on a light weight hunting rifle. My plan was to use the mil-dots for long shots, where I had to react fast, and didn't have a lot of time to fuss with dialing in the exact elevation.
Thru experimentation I would mark the trajectory of each mil-dot below the cross hair and use that for hold over.

If the situation allows more time, I would use my laser range finder, determine distance to target and dial in the proper elevation.

Last year I had to act fast on a bull that was running across the far canyon. I didn't even have time to boost my scope power from 3 to 9. I just lead him, held over based on blind doo dah luck and let her fly. He came crashing down with a perfect neck shot (even though I was expecting to hit him in the chest, he must have slowed down).

I later ranged the distance at 480 yards.

That's the old fashioned way of hunting by feelings, but I would like to improve on that style with a little more science.

Also, where are the best deals on Zeiss Conquest scopes?

Any info would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Vic

Hey Victor,

Go to SWFA, and they have the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with a mil-dot, ZRF, Z-plex, and fine crosshair. Also, you can get it with target knobs.

The folks at Zeiss will also put a mil-dot reticle in your conquest for around $75. You might check with them and see if it is cheaper to buy the mil-dot scope and send it in for target knobs... if you can't find one with all the options you want.

Neal

I am also looking for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x, mil-dot reticle and target knobs. I believe (that means I am not 100% sure) the Zeiss catalog shows the 4.5-14x50 comes with target knobs. I just called theopticzone.com and tentatively placed an order for the 4.5-14x50, with mil-dot and target knobs, and some mounting hardware. However, it probably will take a couple of months to deliver. I hope this information helped.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.