Zeiss v4 6-24x50 vs viper pst gen ii 5-25x50

Gknight8845

looking for a scope to put on my new 6.5 for hunting and maybe a little longe range playing. I've narrowed it down to three scopes but don't have any first hand experience with any of these models. The first two I mentioned in the title both being pretty similar in price and function but can't tell by looking at walls in a store if ones better or not. The third scope I'm contemplating is the Z5 5-25x52. Only hold up I see on the Z5 is range. Though it will go out past my comfort zone hunting wise. Not sure how far it will go out for sure if I want to play though. I have pros and cons for all three reticle. z5 seems a little light for low light hunting, V4 seems a little heavy for longer range shooting and the PST is a little busy for my liking so with that being said....

Criteria:
Sfp/ffp doesn't matter to me
Weight is definitely a consideration in this
Probably won't ever shoot over 800 at anything (don't hunt past 500)
24/25 magnification
Obviously low light shooting

I will be getting one of these scopes unless a VX-6 magically drops down to the same price as the Z5 as it pushes my price range as it is. Yes, the wife is winning this battle. Just curious on opinions and experiences with these three basically and which would serve my needs best. Thanks in advance

I have two Vortex Razor HD LH. One on Old Reliable Win M70 in .270 and the other on my Ruger No 1 in 7 mm Rem Mag. The No 1 has yet to be blooded, but it's a handy walking around rifle. Maybe I will chase Pennsylvania bear with it this fall. Resolution on these scopes is remarkable. Look around and you can find them for about $600.

Of the bunch I would take a Zeiss v4. I like the features of the Vortex but I got 3 bad ones right out of the box. Vortex was great to deal with but I do not need a warranty I need a scope that works. The Zeiss has great glass and turrets. The reticle is nice and the zero stop competes with the best. I personally feel the only Swaro qualified for my use is my X5.

Gknight I am not sure what you mean by too light for low light shooting. The Swaro would probably be your best bet for low light shooting.

Was meaning the size of the reticle being a little light (too thin) to see. I'm well aware of the lens being the best and brightest. Just didn't know if in shaded timber covered low light situations if it would be hard to make out at times and maybe get lost against a darker background

Got ya And that is something that is hard to determine in the store. I try and look into dark corners in the ceiling to test these things out. NOT A TRUE TEST BUT DOES START TO SHOW SOME SHORT FALLS.

I'm in the same boat you are here..... except you're throwing me off with adding the z5 in this mix. Isn't it in a complete different price range as the other two? Like the other two combined nearly.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards the V4.
Btw, redhawkrifles.com has a v6 demo unit for $1099 right now. But it's a mill dot.

Yeah I seen that at red hawk and almost pulled the trigger on it as I don't use the reticle for measurements at all. Looked through a v6 while I was at a dealer tonight and probably would have walked out with it had I had the extra $600. Dam nice scope. Still not sure the drop off in glass down to the v4 though. If the v4's still had the SCHOTT glass in them like the HD5's did I wouldn't hesitate. You can find the z5's for $1320. Talking with my local dealer tonight he said 650 yds maxes his turret out for his Creedmoor with the z5. Think that's the route I'm headed. Being that it is a hunting rifle it Dials farther than I'm Willing to shoot at an animal and as much as I fantasize about shooting longer for fun I probably won't ever do it as our local range only goes to 600. Think I'm going to try selling my HD5 and getting one of the demo v4's from red hawk for my bench gun though. Should be the same scope just want to upgrade to exposed dials

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.