Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 EBR-2C MOA Scope PST-5255

bigdogone

See one on sale for $800 with EBR-2C MOA reticle. Anyone with experience using this? Reaction to price? Primary purpose is sheep rifle for backpack hunting. Secondary will be long range target work. Rifle is Tikka T-3 in .243 Win.

Eventual plan is to put on 6.5 Creedmoor build, but like that old Cash song, I'm gonna build it one piece at a time.

I think I was looking at that same one today too lol. They seems nice. Look like a big improvement over the first Gen ones. Not sure what the weight is off the top of my head... probably not what most look for for sheep weight. No locking turrets, if that matters. But the zero stop looks really solid. Illuminated reticle.

For the price it seems like a good deal to me.

I've p*ssed a lot of big spenders of with my savages and vortex combos. Some of them now have savages and vortexs

I like the ebr2 retical. A 50mm scope is a little heavy though.

Eoroptic has a 16oz vortex hd 2-10x40 with ebr2 for $450 has me itchin

I've p*ssed a lot of big spenders of with my savages and vortex combos. Some of them now have savages and vortexs

I like the ebr2 retical. A 50mm scope is a little heavy though.

Eoroptic has a 16oz vortex hd 2-10x40 with ebr2 for $450 has me itchin
Thanks for the info. Never used Vortex so I just don't know and appreciate experience from those who have.

If I want 1 lb less to lug up the mountain, I should lose it around my waist first! Haha. all joking aside, I do like 2-10x40s and will look into that scope. Every dollar and pound adds up.

I think I was looking at that same one today too lol. They seems nice. Look like a big improvement over the first Gen ones. Not sure what the weight is off the top of my head... probably not what most look for for sheep weight. No locking turrets, if that matters. But the zero stop looks really solid. Illuminated reticle.

For the price it seems like a good deal to me.
You're right it is heavy for a sheep only rig. I but I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Thanks for the info!

You're right it is heavy for a sheep only rig. I but I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. Thanks for the info!
I'm in the same boat 99% of the time! 😊

I was looking at the new HD LHT scopes today for the exact same reasons you are talking about. Well, different game species. But otherwise, same scenarios.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd never shy away from a used vortex. They'll take care of you in the chance that the scope is junk/abused!
I once thought that as well. After two bad scopes that were sent back for repairs that were returned with no change other than the excuse that I over torqued the screws, I no longer trust them. The first was a Viper and what was weird was that they called and said it was bad only to be followed up with a second call telling me that all was well and that nothing was wrong with the scope. Got it back and the problem persists. They will take care of a visible defect or a turret that falls off. Beyond that you are at their mercy. No more Vortex stuff for me.

I have a gen 2 PST 5x25 and it is ok the glass leaves me wanting more clarity. A friend and I compared his Athlon to my PST and for me the Athlon was crisper and brighter.