Vortex Viper PST gen1 6-24x50 vs gen2 5-25x50

IDoes anyone have any practical hands-on experience with the new GEN 2? Currently own the Gen 1 and was wondering if the the Gen 2 is worth upgrading to?
I have the gen 2 you mention (I love it!) and my shooting buddy has the gen1 you mention. While the gen 2 is the better scope, I wouldn't think the upgrade would be worth the cost. Turrets have a better feel, I like the zero stop and the glass is alittle better. You are getting one or two bells and whistles, but itll cost a lot. The gen 1 doesn't add much capability, only convenience.

My only complaint is from zoom range 20-is to 25, the glass gets cloudier than I was expecting. From 5-20 it's very clear as I was expecting.

Last edited:
I have the gen 2 you mention (I love it!) and my shooting buddy has the gen1 you mention. While the gen 2 is the better scope, I wouldn't think the upgrade would be worth the cost. Turrets have a better feel, I like the zero stop and the glass is alittle better. You are getting one or two bells and whistles, but itll cost a lot. The gen 1 doesn't add much capability, only convenience.

My only complaint is from zoom range 20-is to 25, the glass gets cloudier than I was expecting. From 5-20 it's very clear as I was expecting.
Darn. I was about to pull the trigger on one and now you got me reconsidering. Last year I tried one of the sig sauer bdx combos. The glass in my opinion was terrible compared to my Gen 1. So I sold it.

Darn. I was about to pull the trigger on one and now you got me reconsidering. Last year I tried one of the sig sauer bdx combos. The glass in my opinion was terrible compared to my Gen 1. So I sold it.

Its rough... such an expensive purchase and no way to really spend time with it before you swipe the card. And people's eyes seem to have different preferences so its hard to say. Are you buying at a store where you can look at it first or online? I certainly dont want to discourage someone from purchasing a nice scope, but for me it would be hard to justify the cost.. maybe you could sell the gen 1 to offset a good deal of the cost?

Its rough... such an expensive purchase and no way to really spend time with it before you swipe the card. And people's eyes seem to have different preferences so its hard to say. Are you buying at a store where you can look at it first or online? I certainly dont want to discourage someone from purchasing a nice scope, but for me it would be hard to justify the cost.. maybe you could sell the gen 1 to offset a good deal of the cost?

online purchase. None of the shops around have one.

IDoes anyone have any practical hands-on experience with the new GEN 2? Currently own the Gen 1 and was wondering if the the Gen 2 is worth upgrading to?
I have a couple of gen1's and looked at the new gen 2 and liked them better. The optics store that I was at pointed out that the eye piece on the gen 2 was better and you could climb into it easier rather than looking through a narrow hole on the gen1. I liked the turrets better and in my opinion but everyone's eyes are different but I felt like the gen 2 was a little clearer when we took them outside in low light conditions.

The EBR7 Gen II is my favorite scope for varmint shooting. I was concerned that The busy mrad FFP reticle would wipe out small critters @ 300 yds, but found out it was not a problem. I do not like my Gen I battery protruberance (sp?) as that is where I like to put my Vortex anti-cant device.

Chuck

Yes it's worth it. Better turret design in multiple ways, real Razor type zero stop versus shims. There are multiple reticle choices. I own 2 of each and the gen 2 seems to allow target acquisition quicker for me. I think the glass is better but not much. I think Midway USA had a gen2 FFL model for 749 recently. That being said I won't purchase them anymore since my upgraded stance on China. Just too many other choices. I did recently purchase a Crimson Trace 3 series, made in Japan scope, superb glass, and was very happy with it. I liked it so much I bought a CT Series 2 MOA version and made zero stops for each one. Good luck.

Last edited:
I own both. My gen 1 is the 6-24x50 SFP and my gen 2 is the 5-25x50 FFP. The glass on the gen 2 is noticeably better and it is just a heavier, beefier scope. Both turrets feel good, I like the looks of the gen 2 better and I also like how they moved the illumination, its just a cleaner look. The zero stop is way better on the gen 2, but both work fine. Would I sell a gen 1 to buy a gen 2? no. If I needed a new scope for another rifle would I spend a few extra bucks for the gen 2 - yes.

I have both and once you figure out how to set the zero stop on the Gen 2, you will like it better, at least I do. For the price they are a good scope I generally use to hunt rock chucks and ground squirrels. The rest of my best are married to Nightforces

I have both. Several Gen 1. One Gen2.
I can see an overgrown barb wire fence off my deck at 800 yds. I look at the ability to see details in the wire, branches, and leaves in various conditions. Image quality is about the same, maybe a hair better on the Gen 2 if it is overcast, dreary, or dusty. But to be honest, I probably see almost as much difference between various Gen 1 examples of different age.
The biggest difference for me is eye relief and field of view. Gen 2 is more forgiving of eye relief and much wider VOF at max powers. Eye box is just easier to use. Could be a major factor if you are behind the scope for long periods of time with eye fatigue.
Also, I have my Gen2 on a 22 right now. Gen 2 focuses closer than Gen1. Not by much but some.
As always with subjective scope evaluations, my opinion is worth what you paid for it. Hope this helps. Rev P

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.