Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 vs. 5-25x50

shooter22

Looking to upgrade the scope on my Remington 700 .308 Winchester to get into long range shooting. I have decided on this scope, but I don't know what power to get. I was told that most long range targets will become fuzzy after 18x, so a 5-25x is not worth the extra money. Any thoughts on this? I would also entertain other opinions of scopes to consider. Thanks.

Looking to upgrade the scope on my Remington 700 .308 Winchester to get into long range shooting. I have decided on this scope, but I don't know what power to get. I was told that most long range targets will become fuzzy after 18x, so a 5-25x is not worth the extra money. Any thoughts on this? I would also entertain other opinions of scopes to consider. Thanks.

i have a 5-25 and shoot it out to 1250 on 25x all the time. I havent noticed any fuzzy targets. Glass is great, tracking has been excellent.

what type of long range shooting do you want to get into (F-Class, PRS, or silhouette) and what else do you use the gun for?

if it's also your primary hunting rifle and you end up in tight quarters sometimes then I would recommend the 3-15X44 but if your hunting areas are mostly open maybe you should go for the 5-25X50. The 3-15X44 actually has more elevation adjustment range at 22 MRAD instead of 20. That doesn't really matter to you because that's something like 1500 yards on a 308 and you could just get a canted mount and make up the difference.

If you get a 5-25X50 you will get the same or better light transmission at 15x than you will on the 3-15X44 at the same power due to the bell being bigger. Personally I would buy the 5-25X50 in a FFP but the 3-15X44 should serve you quite well out past 1K on steel also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.