Zeiss Conquest

lefty15

I am going to be buying a Zeiss Conquest scope in the very near future. I have narrowed it down to two different powers of scopes. I am either going to buy a 4.5 x 14 x 50mm or a 6.5 x 20 x 50mm.
I will be using this scope to punch paper as well as hunting in everything from flat land to dense forest.
Which power of scope would you guys recommend to go with?

Hunting forest? If you might have a snap shot at deer sized game I would go with the lower powered scope. It is hard enough to keep running game in a 4 power let alone a 6.5. 14 power should give you range past 800 yards.

I am going to be buying a Zeiss Conquest scope in the very near future. I have narrowed it down to two different powers of scopes. I am either going to buy a 4.5 x 14 x 50mm or a 6.5 x 20 x 50mm.
I will be using this scope to punch paper as well as hunting in everything from flat land to dense forest.
Which power of scope would you guys recommend to go with?

Just another view point for your consideration.

My tho't process would be:

Hmmmm, 4.5 or 6.5 low end power. Which one? 4.5 would be brighter in low light conditions. 4.5 would have a larger field of view. But my rifle fits me and when I snap it up the cross hairs are on the bird flying over head, the fence post at 100 yards and usually the yote or deer. So finding the target in the scope is not a problem at 4.5 or 6.5.

Hmmmmm, 14 or 20X Its always said that more is better. Well sometime but not always. However, when the reticle is considered there is a bit of a serendipity here. If the reticle is a Mil Dot then at 18X the mil dots are 2 MOA apart. That can't be done with a 14X. Thus cranking to a calibrated 18X you have 10 MOA of reference points for hold over.

Conclusion: I'd go with the 6.5-20 X 50 with the Mil Dot ret. Its a bit more money but I feel the versatility more than makes up for it. You can click or hold over depending on the situation. You would be handicapped only slightly, if any, on lower power, plus this is supposed to be LRH not stalk and jump.;)

Just my tho'ts........

lefty15

I've got to agree with roy on this one, get the 6.5x20. It will serve you better on the paper and in the flat land situations.

As far as dense forest goes, you should have plenty of time to find game at 6.5 unless its hauling butt, and hitting anything running through dense woods is a pretty low percentage proposition. Just my 2 cents.

Chris

I have a Conquest in the 4.5x14 with the duplex reticle and have been really happy with it. I shot two whitetails in the heavy woods of Wisconsin and didn't have a problem finding them in the scope. If you are hunting on the woods the 6.5 x 20 would have some trouble finding the right part of the deer. I have had the scope on a higher power and tried to look at a deer and all you see is hair and can't figure out really what you are looking at.
The 14 power is good out to 500 yards on a deer size animal. I shot a hog at 353 and a California blacktail at 403 yards. I wasn't having any trouble hitting them at those ranges.
If I were to buy it again I would go for the 4.5x14.
Just my opinion.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.