Zeiss Conquest or ??

blacktails

I'm replacing the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x10 scope on my .25-06 deer rifle, and have just about decided on a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44, probably with the Z-Plex reticle since it unfortunately doesn't come with the Rapid Z 600, just the 800 or 1000 versions. For the money (around $750) that I expect to spend on the Zeiss, are there any other scopes that I should be considering also? Which reticle would be recommended for the Conquest? Would the Rapid Z 800 be overkill for my needs? I hunt woods and open areas, typically shooting out to about 250 yards, but want the higher magnification capability to supplement my Swaro 7x42 binoculars, and to shoot out to 400-500 yards since I'm now using a 1500 ARC range-finder to know exact distances.

We are testing the 4.5-14X44 RAPID Z 1000. It is mounted to a Tikka 308. Fellow shooter and I tested it on a steel rang 100yds to 550yds and it worked very well. The elevation was great, every shoot was a hit and it was quick to make elevation and windage adjustments. I was very, very happy with it and I'm not a big fan of the Zeiss.

Mike @ CSGW

I have a RapidZ 800 and that would be the best fit for your 25-06. It is just like the RapidZ 600 except for the extra hash marks

RapidZ600MAY07.jpg

RapidZ800May07.jpg

IOW if you were going to get the RapidZ 600 then there would not be any reason I could think of not to get the RapidZ 800 if that is what comes with the scope you want. Now the RapidZ 1000 is a whole different ball game and is formulated for the 308 caliber only

RapidZ1000May07.jpg

IMO there is no other scope that is comparable to the Conquest in that price range. Once you get over $1,000.00 there would be the Swarovski's and the Kahles MultiZero's.

There is no doubt that the Zeiss Rapid Z 1000 would look great on my custom 30-378 and I gave it a serious consideration. But I could not justify to myself spending the money when I am fixing up (total restoration of) 2 German 300s and a Howa 240. So I put on a Burris 6.5-20 (50mm) which should enable me to shoot ok. Not a Zeiss though, sigh!

bob chronister

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.