Zeiss Conquest

I picked up a new-in-the-box 1" Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 side focus scope off of one of the boards for $450 shipped. Mounted on a Rem 700 ADL .223 in an HS-P stock with Warne Premier weaver style bases and Burris Signature Zee rings - medium height.

I own 8 Leupold scopes - all Vari X III's -and the Zeiss Conquest is unquestionably brighter, clearer and more crisp than any Leupy in my safe.

Felt the need to grab another Zeiss after I bought my first one - 30mm Zeiss Diavari V 3-12x56T* #8 illuminated reticle scope - and mounted it on a Rem 700KS Custom Shop Mountain Rifle in .300WM. Love that McMillan stock on the KS Custom Shop Mountain Rifle. Great shooting hunting rifle and the #8 illuminated reticle is defintely what the Doc ordered when it comes to 'ole Mossy Horns stepping out just when the reticle can't be seen any longer. One quick twist of the rheostat switch and the fine center portion of the reticle lights up red! And you control the intensity of the illuminated reticle as the light decreases/increases.

Did I mention that the Diavari, which lists at SWFA & Bear Basin for $1799, only cost me $765 shipped? And was as-new-in-the-box-with-all-paperwork? Yep, got lucky on that one too, thanks to the boards and the fine folks that haunt there.

My scope $'s will be used to purchase Zeiss glass in the future, unless a screamin' deal comes across on a S&B, Swarovski, Khales, or maybe even a Leupy Vari X III ...... if the price is really right!

Just my .02 cents,
Clay

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Clay ]

The 6.5-20 model is available now in case anyone is interested. My local gun shop has had one om the shelf for nearly a month now. I also saw them in cabella's of all places. Nice target turrets and side focus knob.

Concerning target knobs for the 4.5 x 15, they will be available after the first of the year (Some in January and the rest in February). Most of the first shipment are backordered to retailers.

Has anyone tried these scopes? I've heard that the optics are better than Leupold. I'm tempted so stick with Leupold but that's all I own and would like something different. I'm looking at the 4.5-14 model. They just came out with a 6.5-20 with taget knobs etc, it should be a real competitor for the Leupolds.

Leupold is an awful good scope I've owned two but I consider the Zeiss in higher powers scopes (4-14 x50 and the 6.5-20x50) an upgrade. You won't be disappointed in it's twilight factor and the clarity is equal to or better than the Leopold. You have picked a good comparison between scopes but, the Zeiss Rapid Z reticles is what blows Leupold out of the water. Happy Shooting

Has anyone tried these scopes? I've heard that the optics are better than Leupold. I'm tempted so stick with Leupold but that's all I own and would like something different. I'm looking at the 4.5-14 model. They just came out with a 6.5-20 with taget knobs etc, it should be a real competitor for the Leupolds.

Back in the 70's I though Redfield was the only way to go.....then I looked thru a Leupold!!!! Thought they were the answer until I was pushed into buy a Zeiss...not I have to ask...Leupold Who???

I have 4.5-14's...and the 6.5-20X50. BOTH great scopes

I stuck a Nikon on my latest ( 25-06AI) and was suprized how clear and bright it is.....but I know eventually...it will wear a Zeiss also

LORD! 10 yr old postings.....LOL

I have 2 conquests myself and got I honestly think they are the best glassed scope you can get right now for the price range. Cameraland has demo sales on them at superb discounts.I was able to snag a 3.5-10x44 for well under msrp and I still get the warranty to boot. They are a solid bet. Infact theres a great review on them in the following link as they are compared against high end 30mm scopes. It got excellent marks and was actually preferred over the comparable
30 mm 6-20x leupy LRT

www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

Also they are assembled in NY @ the meopta plant.

Awh whats a few years between friends. 10 year old thread feels just like yesterday to me. Just wish I could have just 1/2 of yesterday back. Does it matter where we post a thread if it's on the subject we are interested in. It's my fault for not looking but I sure got a lot of good info from you awl"s thanks everyone. Next time I will post in a 5 year old post and work my way back to the present ha..

I bought my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 w/the Z-1000 reticles thru SWFA.com. It was a Demo B Model for $799.95. In combination with my old HB Savage Model 10 SPF and using factory .308 Winchester Super X 150 gr. power points loaded @ 2820FPS. I shot one inch groups at 400 yds. having just two ringers out of the box of 20.
Was I lucky to have come across with a scope,Rifle combo like this?,
You will probably agree when I tell you, I also bought my Rifle Used. A Savage M-10 308 heavy barrel from a pawn shop dealer out of Kansas City, who had it advertised on gunbrokers.com for $500. (that included the shipping).
I saw this gun and fell in love with the Walnut thumb hole stock on it and I just had to have it.
When it came, the barrel exterior was rusty and even looked pitted, and it appeared well used., The serial number was so old Savage won't tell me the year it was made and I thought, "well crap ... shot out"..., "maybe the action is still good and I will only have to replace the barrel"?? But, some one up stairs was very kind to me and I am one of the luckiest individuals since we adopted out daughters.
I have always said "what dummy would spend more money on a scope than he would his Rifle"???
WAS I LUCKY? .. Heck Yes!! I bought a Rifle that was still truly accurate, but the luck ends there having finally spent more money on a good scope than I did my rifle. I tell young shooters now, save up your money don't go wasting the next 60 yrs buying cheaper scopes like I did. 60 years..... that's a long time to learn a hard lesson.
Coyote season is just around the corner and I am headed to northern Iowa this year. The coyotes up there like getting nailed at 500 plus yards and I have just what they need. Happy hunting ya-all

Referring to the earlier question about who makes the Zeiss Conquest line, I had a dealer explain to me that Meopta produced the 1" diameter Conquest. Sometime ago Zeiss offered the 3x9x40 promotion for $399.99 at many stores. He said that when Meopta began their Meopro 1" series it marked the beginning of direct competition with the Zeiss contract and the Zeiss promotion went away, although I've seen the same price available in some stores, presumeably leftovers. This was his story and I can't say if its true or not, only that I found it interesting. I have a Meopta and they make a dang good product.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.