Zeiss Conquest Issues

LabRat

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 that I'm returning for service work. I'm unable to get the target in focus especially at longer ranges. The reticle will focus fine but at 200 yards I can hardly make out an 11x18 target no matter what adjustments I make.
This is the second time I'm returning this scope as Zeiss replaced it once before. When I first get the scopes, they work well but then seem to develop this focus issue.

Has anyone else had these issues with a Conquest? Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong?

At this point, my confidence level is nil and I'm considering emptying the bank account to get a really top quality scope that I won't need to worry about.

Thanks in advance.

I had problems with one holding zero once but turned out to be a broken spring. Sent it in and no problems since holding zero but never a focus problem. Have two Zeiss, one about 15 years old the other around 8 years.

Are you using the adjustable parallax at different yardages to help focus the scope?

Oh yes. Adjusting the ocular so that the reticle is even remotely in focus, there is no point on the parallax adjustment that will bring the target into focus. As a matter of fact, utilizing the entire range of both the ocular and the parallax will not bring the target into focus.

This is at 200 yards. 100 was better but not great.
I've used this same scope out to 600 and just don't understand why/how it changed. Same with the first one. The scope hasn't been abused or really shot that much. It's on a 308 so it shouldn't be a recoil issue either.

I bought a Conquest 4-16x50 2 years ago, when I received it there was a lens inside the scope that broke loose and you could hear it moving if you shook the scope. Sent it back for an exchange. Luckily they had 1 more in stock.

It could be your mounting setup. If your rings are torquing the scope tube then your parallax control will bind inside and cause focus issues.

It could be your mounting setup. If your rings are torquing the scope tube then your parallax control will bind inside and cause focus issues.
Good suggestion. I've seen this before. The OP should remove the scope and inspect the tube for ring marks or dents between the turrets and the objective bell. Also see if the focus problem persists when the scope is not in the rings.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

As a follow up, Zeiss didn't indicate what they found wrong with the scope but they are replacing it with a 5-25x50 Conquest HD5 of my choice.

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50. The only issue I've had with it is that the image is very slightly foggy and I can't get it focused to the perfectly sharp image I'd like to see. I have it mounted with Burrus Zee Rings and they're not over torqued. I've been blaming my "not bad enough for surgery" cataracts for the problem so I won't know for certain until I've gotten those take care of. But I truly believe it's an issue with the scope because when I use my son's rifle with a NF the images are heaven sent.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

As a follow up, Zeiss didn't indicate what they found wrong with the scope but they are replacing it with a 5-25x50 Conquest HD5 of my choice.

I don't think you could have done better than that. I own 2 of the 6.5-20x50 and have no problems with focus not crazy about the vertical adjustment range. I own the HD5 3-15X50 and it is fantastic. It is heavy though.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I have a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50. The only issue I've had with it is that the image is very slightly foggy and I can't get it focused to the perfectly sharp image I'd like to see. I have it mounted with Burrus Zee Rings and they're not over torqued. I've been blaming my "not bad enough for surgery" cataracts for the problem so I won't know for certain until I've gotten those take care of. But I truly believe it's an issue with the scope because when I use my son's rifle with a NF the images are heaven sent.

I HAD cataracts and had eyes operated on. Once you do get it done you'll kick your own *** for not getting it done sooner

I don't think you could have done better than that. I own 2 of the 6.5-20x50 and have no problems with focus not crazy about the vertical adjustment range. I own the HD5 3-15X50 and it is fantastic. It is heavy though.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

At 27 ounces, the HD5 is substantial. But I replaced the Zeiss with Razor HD GenII 4.5-27 at 48 oz. I think that's the first time I ever felt that I was mounting a rifle to a scope. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.