Zeiss Conquest HD5 issue

razakain

I throw myself upon your wisdom.
Here's the issue. I have a T/C Icon in .308 with a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 mounted in Burris Signature Zee rings. I love the setup and am trying to get into medium range shooting with it. I have built a range out to 800 yards and tried it out today for the first time with friends. We only shot to 400. At 400, I need 5.5 MOA. I was looking forward to dialing in my reticle instead of just using holdover. I go to adjust my elevation and get only 9 clicks out of it. I was almost maxed out! Apparently, the store that bore sighted it used a ton of elevation to get it set because I only adjusted a little to get it dead on at 200 yards. I assumed I had plenty more adjustment.
Now, I know that my Zeiss has only 16.5 MOA with the zero stop. I am fine with that and it should get me to 600 yards, which is as far as I am going to shoot targets with this rifle. I have two main questions:
1) Can I get the reticle back close to factory zero on the scope by having it bore sighted again and stressing that they adjust the rings as much as possible before adjusting the scope? Is this rifle just that far off with the Weaver rail? Surely the rings can be adjusted more to get it closer to center? Am I just completely wrong in thinking that?

2) Is the best solution to just use the Burris Signature Zee offset inserts and add 10MOA offset to the rings to get my reticle back to 4 MOA below factory zero at 200 yards, giving me 12.25 MOA to adjust upwards?
I know I can take out the zero stop screw and get 70 MOA, but I really like it and want to leave it in.
Thanks all. I am really starting to love medium range shooting, and I want to have my gun set up right. I know it's not a Surgeon or Cooper, but I am not asking for too much.

Yes and yes. The offset insert kit has .005", .010", and .020" offset inserts. Use the later two to get a total of about 20 MOA or more. I would ask the shop to put .020" offset inserts in both rings, which will give you close to 30 MOA.

It's possible the shop used offset inserts and simply put them in backwards. If so, you could fix it yourself right now.

Bruce is spot on!

Get the zero back to the middle of its range as the zeroing mechanism is best near center. I personally want as much elevation as I can get without driving the center glass elements up to their limits.

Credit to Burris for such an innovative product!

KB

Thanks for the advice. This forum is phenomenal, especially for a newbie like me.
I am glad I happened to choose these Burris rings. I have loved them so far. Since I am only looking to go to about 600 yards with this particular rifle, I was planning on ordering two .005 inserts, putting one in the back and one in the front to try to get close to 10 MOA altogether. This would keep me closer to scope center than the 20 MOA suggestion, correct? I understand 20 MOA would be better for long range and I will buy those inserts when I get done with my 7mmSTW project for that rifle.
Since it won't be exactly 10MOA in adjustment, but probably a little less based on the exact MOA formula using ring spacing that I read earlier on this forum, I believe that will have me low of center about 4 MOA, since I am about 6 MOA above center now. This scope is by far the nicest scope I have ever owned and I am impressed by the clarity, but I want to wring every last little bit of clarity from it that I can.
Also, I have a quick question about reticle subtensions. This scope at 15x is 8 inches between the thick wires at 100 yards. This would equal 16 inches at 200 yards, 24 inches at 300 yards, and 32 inches at 400 yards, right? Thanks.

Last edited:
The inserts are made to be used in pairs a +.005 and -.005 in the same ring. One on top, one on bottom, which goes where depends on which ring you use, front or back.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.