ZCO and Swarovski

Excellent. So not a huge difference by any stretch.
I had originally purchased an X5 based off reviews saying it was right there with a Z6 in low light.
It was anything but.
Then picked up a Z5 and it is a dream to look through at last light. But again, the Z5 model I own has completely different lens configuration giving it a huge bump in its ability to allow light.
I agree. I sold my X5's and got a z8 and a ZCO. Use the ZCO because I use it for tactical and hunting

I posted at the top what I was kinda looking for. Thanns
You are talking about low light, but what application at low light? Which Swaro? More detail would be needed. If for hunting go after the Swaro high end and you won't be let down. if you want more of a target tactical scope for low light then ZCO.

Anyone out there actually compared these two in low light?
Not interested in discussing other topics or features such as function, durability, turrets, weight etc. Obviously the ZCO and the Swaro aren't even in the same world.
But, if I am going to spend $3000 on a Swarovski and it's no brighter than the ZCO in low light, then that's a very easy decision to make. ZCO has hinted that their low light ability is right there with the best. So curious to see who's compared.
So, there's objective and subjective ways to measure an optics performance. Gathering light is only part of the equation and has a lot to do with objective size. How the light is transmitted through the optic has to do with quality of the lenses. Swarovski and ZCO both use quality lenses. So if you compare the same objective size scope you not see much difference using the same instruments available to measure if it's 98 or 97 % … what matters and where I see the ZCO (I have owned both) have 5 ZCO excell is the crispness of the image. Do a dollar bill test. Tack a dollar bill at 75 or 100 yards … zoom in with the same power and see the difference. I used a ZCO 420 on my Washington mule deer hunt and could see the definition, color and fine details of the bedded bucks antler in front of a sage bush in the shade at 565 yards at 20 power. The swaro is a lighter package but the ZCO is the optical superior instrument. Not just light but across the board which makes things appear more visible in low light beyond light gathering.

So, there's objective and subjective ways to measure an optics performance. Gathering light is only part of the equation and has a lot to do with objective size. How the light is transmitted through the optic has to do with quality of the lenses. Swarovski and ZCO both use quality lenses. So if you compare the same objective size scope you not see much difference using the same instruments available to measure if it's 98 or 97 % … what matters and where I see the ZCO (I have owned both) have 5 ZCO excell is the crispness of the image. Do a dollar bill test. Tack a dollar bill at 75 or 100 yards … zoom in with the same power and see the difference. I used a ZCO 420 on my Washington mule deer hunt and could see the definition, color and fine details of the bedded bucks antler in front of a sage bush in the shade at 565 yards at 20 power. The swaro is a lighter package but the ZCO is the optical superior instrument. Not just light but across the board which makes things appear more visible in low light beyond light gathering.
Yes, that's kind of what I'm getting at. I have optics that don't seem to let near the amount of light in, but they resolve considerably better, which gives the image a brighter clearer look. If the ZCO does this better than the Swaro 6 or 8 then I'm on the right track and again, easy decision.

It's simple, for me either you can or can't see the target to make a shot. Most top scopes, barring a bad sample, and with an apparent fov of 23/24 or greater would be perfect, that's why the x5 swaro sucks imo, it has an awful fov at the price point.. A swaro z6/8 optically is as good or better than it gets, as is a blaser, or a Zeiss v8, and most Schmidt's if you don't mind the glare. Got a zco under my seat now headed to a hunt, it's an awesome glass and also as good as the mentioned above, still, when its lights out I'm always packing the swaro or Zeiss because they are the best I've used for the specific type of hunting you're describing, meaning mainly in the black and white light spectrum.

And if you seriously want a no compromise glass optically for anything short of thermal or night vision the Zeiss 60mm v8 and blaser are the best glass I've ever tried to date, the resolution at power is incredible, and in the black and white/dark I've seen no equal, they're pretty huge though. If your looking to save a little coin get a diavari vmv, it's in the same race as most of the above mentioned. Good luck.

A few good watches on glass and scope making, old but good.

Last edited: