Youth deer rifle.

So you are saying no kid under 10 should be allowed to hunt deer. That's wrong!!! ....

Pretty sure that's not what I typed. You sound like a CNN reporter trying to put words in my mouth. Buckshot in a single shot Harrington & Richardson youth model 20 gauge killed me pile of deer before I got my .30-30!

The 7mm-08 has tons of supporters..for good reason...it is a stellar caliber for kids and women...the 243 is amazing as well and that was my first caliber center fire rifle from my Great Grandfather. I now own a few different guns but one I've really grown fond of with light recoil is the .260 Remington. It was mentioned but i don't think it has had enough attention. It is incredible and pounds deer...I've shot a cow elk with it as well and hand loading for it is easy...Those who think ammo availability is not there might not shop very often...even in the .260 federal is loading the sierra gamekings which cause of their ogive are very forgiving to seating depth and are an amazing animal dropper. There are so many ammo options out there now and all the cailbers mentioned are pretty easy to find at basspro shops or sportsmans warehouses around the country....if you don't have one scheels has good ammo options as well...I think all these calibers are fantastic but the .260 offers great options if they grow or get into reloading...Have fun, he will love whatever you get him.

Just be careful , I have witnessed guys thinking their kid is tougher than everybody else s kid and exposed them to guns they aren't ready for and it can turn the kids against it for ever . Just go slow and easy the kids will tell you what they are ready for

7MM-08 RIFLES :D
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...Remington&pp=30&sortby=priceAscend&sortType=1

AMMO
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7mm-08-remington
--------------------------------------------------------------

iipsrv.fcgi

Mossberg Patriot Youth Bolt Action Rifle 7mm-08 Remington 20" Barrel 5 Rounds Synthetic Bantam Stock Matte Blue Finish 27852
$280
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...d&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=119860

Mossberg_Patriot_American_Hunter_14.JPG

That's a better extractor than Remington's 700.

Mossberg-Patriot-16.jpg

(My friend has one of these in .338 Winchester Magnum, and it shoots half-inch groups!)

Last edited:
The 243 is an excellent choice. However most come with a 1/9.25 twist so you can't load a bullet heavier than 100 grains. In windy conditions wind drift will push your bullet off target.
The 7-08 is a much better choice. I competed in shilouette matches to 500 meters with great success. My Rem700 is a 1/9.25 twist and shoots the 120 v-max up to the 168 gr Hornady ELD Match effectively to 800 yards. It has dropped deer, pigs and elk to 700 yards.
BUT, The 6.5 Grendel is now available in the CZ 527 American with set trigger. Howa Mini Mauser, and a couple of others. I've had a Grendel AR15 that I've taken pigs, deer and elk shooting the 123 SST all one shoot kills. pig 300, deer 25, 80, 200, 375 and 450yds.
My son and daugther have taken deer over the past years and enjoy the low recoil.
Check out the photo of my 6.5 Howa Mini Mauser results from 4 days ago down in the desert with a 15-29 mph wind. 123 SST Hornady. Nightforce NSZ 3.5-15 x 50 scope

Consider when making your decision future hunting plans. My kids and now my grandchildren learned starting with a BB gun, pellet rifles, 22, 22mag, 22 Hornet, 223, 243, 6.5s, 7-08, 308, and 30-06. My daughter has taken elk with my 300WinMag.
Teach em right and have an awesome time recalling those experiences.
SEMPER FIDELIS

Attachments

• 6.5 .grendel 500 yds.jpg
    6.5 .grendel 500 yds.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 131
I just finished putting together a rifle for my 12 yr old daughter. I'm surprised no one (or I may have missed it) is using a Boyd's At One stock? I took a Tikka 260 Rem and popped it in the adjustable Boyd's stock along with a new recoil lug and cinched up the bolts. Didn't bed it or have to do any material removal to float the barrel. Then finished it off by putting on a Little B muzzle break and it is a dream to shoot. The Boyd's stock has some weight to it which helps tame any recoil and as I said this thing shoots like a dream now. Here are her first 3 pulls of the trigger shooting a 130gr VLD @100yds.

Attachments

• 260 Rem.jpg
    260 Rem.jpg
    995.8 KB · Views: 119
The 7mm-08 has tons of supporters..for good reason...it is a stellar caliber for kids and women...the 243 is amazing as well and that was my first caliber center fire rifle from my Great Grandfather. I now own a few different guns but one I've really grown fond of with light recoil is the .260 Remington. It was mentioned but i don't think it has had enough attention. It is incredible and pounds deer...I've shot a cow elk with it as well and hand loading for it is easy...Those who think ammo availability is not there might not shop very often...even in the .260 federal is loading the sierra gamekings which cause of their ogive are very forgiving to seating depth and are an amazing animal dropper. There are so many ammo options out there now and all the cailbers mentioned are pretty easy to find at basspro shops or sportsmans warehouses around the country....if you don't have one scheels has good ammo options as well...I think all these calibers are fantastic but the .260 offers great options if they grow or get into reloading...Have fun, he will love whatever you get him.
Not just great for kids and women. My wife uses one but I borrow it from time-to-time because it is light weight, has very little recoil, accurate as all get out and easily takes deer out to 400 yards. Same goes for 6.5CM

To OP: will this be for long range or moderate ranges? Anything inside 300 yards, id get him a 308 if he is not recoil shy (you could load up some lower recoil rounds as well). Inside 400 yards id go 7mm-08 or 6.5cm, they are bit more flat shooting.

As for which rifle brand. The new savage's with modular system seem appealing for a growing child.

• Gun fit is paramount. It helps manage recoil and the ability to see through the scope easily. I made the mistake of buying my son the H&R rifle for his first one and neither of us could shoot it well because it wasn't comfortable to shoot. It might be for some kids, but not for either of us, and he wasn't that big at the time. I was 6'3", 225#, and I didn't like shooting it at all. Turned out the geometry was all wrong and amplified the perceived recoil. Limbsaver pad helped some here, but it still felt wrong for both of us. In spite of that, he took his first deer on his first hunt with perfect shot placement.
Good points, though the same rifle worked fine for my son to take his first ~120 lb feral pig with ~110 gr Nosler partition bullets. Though most members of this forum may not be that restricted on what they can afford to spend, the H&R kit is an affordable option for those who are, >>IF<< it fits their son/daughter well. But there are many better options suggests in this thread if you can afford it. I couldn't at the time.

I bought my 7 year old a Ruger American in 6mm Creedmoor and put it in a Magpul stock. My gunsmith cut it down for him and he loves. Harvested his first buck this year. It came with a threaded barrel so I have been shooting it suppressed and I love it too. Fun rifle that shoots sub MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.