Your Ultimate 500 Yard Rig

Been looking into it, few guys that run 16's are getting 2650-2680 some 2700 with a suppressor with 140's. I know not super flat but....it's really what I'm getting out of my Gap-10 currently with Its 21" barrel

I could just pull my 300AX out if I want a laser. 5.2 moa to 500 with a 100 yard zero
I was just being funny sir. As the chief officer of the "Creedmoor effing sucks" committee, it's my place.

I was gonna say I already have mine. It's a very light weight all ti and carbon from pierce. And yes it's a creed. For 500 yards why not those hammer hunters have shown me nothing that wouldn't give me confidence at that range. I would like to build the same gun but long action in a .338 laps improved one day. Just because I have a barrel to fire form with.
I know the creed is not what most like and some twats really think it's better than a win mag. That being said if you think a .308 or 7mm 08 is ok the then so should the creed.

I was gonna say I already have mine. It's a very light weight all ti and carbon from pierce. And yes it's a creed. For 500 yards why not those hammer hunters have shown me nothing that wouldn't give me confidence at that range. I would like to build the same gun but long action in a .338 laps improved one day. Just because I have a barrel to fire form with.
I know the creed is not what most like and some twats really think it's better than a win mag. That being said if you think a .308 or 7mm 08 is ok the then so should the creed.
May I ask what is lacking about the Lapua, for it to need "improved" ? They've killed insurgents at over a mile. I would think it was good enough. But I also understand the want for mo-powa. That's why I use a .300 Win Mag and not a .308. Not attacking your choices, just curious.

I shoot a Rem. Kevlar stocked Mountain rifle in .280 Rem. with a VX-3 3.5 X 10 w/AO...……..ALL loaded weighs in at about 8#....Have been hunting with it since 1989, and hunt the toughest terrain in the San Bernardino Mountains in Southern California in a public land environment. This is by far my Dream Rifle out to 500 yds.

May I ask what is lacking about the Lapua, for it to need "improved" ? They've killed insurgents at over a mile. I would think it was good enough. But I also understand the want for mo-powa. That's why I use a .300 Win Mag and not a .308. Not attacking your choices, just curious.

Yep just for more umpf.
I have a .375 Allen mag so my brother made a lapua improved to try and keep up. So I did my 110ba stealth with the same reamer so I could do all the forming. So since we have a lot of formed brass and parts I figured why not a lightweight improved.
Plus the faster you drive it the less drop and wind drift so that helps.

Since I'm used to shooting to 1.000 yards in competition a 500 yard shot with a 6.5 PRC cartridge is not a long shot on a deer sized animal, conditions being optimum.

My new Browning 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro "semi-custom" rifle arrives next week. Then I sell that exact same X-Bolt Pro rifle in 6.5 CM that I have had for only 2 years B/C I wanted more ft. lb. of energy for longer ranges here in Nevada. At the time I bought the 6.5 CM X- bolt the 6.5 PRC was not available in an X-Bolt.

"Your Ultimate 500 Yard Scope" is the next question.
My answer is a Bushnell Elite 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope. FFP, 30 mm tube, illuminated G3 mil reticle (to use with my LRF binocular rangefinder/ballistic calculator).
This scope is relatively light at 27 oz. and has very good glass. At that weight it is a good match for my 6 lb. 3 oz. X-bolt Pro rifle.

Eric B.

Single Shot Merkel K3 in 7mm-08 shooting Hornady ELDX 150 grain at 2770 fps.
backup
Single shot Blaser K95 in 7mm-08 shooting Hornady ELDX 150 grain at 2720 fps.

The merkel likes this load to 500 and gives me 2" 3 shot groups every time.
The blaser not as good, 2.5" groups ...
Not complaining nor comparing. love both the same, but just have shot more animals with my Merkel...
SnT

I used to have a .264 had it bored out to take .300 Weatherby cases way back when I was a kid in high school and had to save every cent to buy powder, bullets and primers.
I have now acquired another 264 win mag. I'm hoping to shoot it this weekend. It was originally a 257 bee on a mark v action. Now it's a 28" 1-8 Brux barrelled 264 win with Leica 4x20x50 glass.

Weatherby Mark 5 Super Big Game Master in 300Wby. Leupold LPS 3.5-14x50 in dual dovetail rings and bases. Norma case, fed 215MM primer lighting a healthy dose of RL22 to push a Swift 165 grain Scirocco. This actually was used to harvest my only Booner at 418 yards. I wouldn't and haven't changed a thing. When I have a non resident tag with horns involved, this is the primary rifle. My back-up, bad weather/boat-paddle gun is a Rem 700 in .260. Built with a second hand HS-Precision sporter stock, Lilja barrel with an 8 twist finished at 24". Regular X-Mark pro trigger that pulls at 40 Oz. with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. Depending on the year this will be loaded with 125gr Partitions, 130gr Accubonds, 130gr Sciroccos, or 130gr HPBT Gamekings. Unless it was big bears we were after, I would be using this as the back-up. I like other 6.5s (6.5-06 is my favorite). I LOVE the .257Wby and .270Wby and I am a huge fan of the .338RUM. When it come to a serious hunt with lots of work and limited opportunity to shoot the 300 and the 260 get the nod.

I hope it's this: Cooper M92 backcountry in 300 Win Mag, Zeiss V6 3-15, it'll get its first go this fall!

Attachments

• 4F251272-8D4F-4056-8887-8DEABC928B15.jpeg
    4F251272-8D4F-4056-8887-8DEABC928B15.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
Been mulling this over. I think this rifle in a 6.5 PRC, which I have, would be my top choice if someone said I could only bring 1 rifle and we don't know if we are backpacking, horse packing, or riding bikes. 8.5lbs ready to shoot. Normally I shoot a chassis, but this rifle has been nice to shoot

Attachments

• A4CFE8F5-735B-4ABF-8FAA-99C32C314E40.jpeg
    A4CFE8F5-735B-4ABF-8FAA-99C32C314E40.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 122
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.